“Just OK, probably wouldn't go back”
Review of Shark Beach

Isla Mujeres Trimaran Cruise
Manteca, CA
10 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 32 helpful votes
“Just OK, probably wouldn't go back”
Reviewed 20 August 2014

We heard about a place where you can swim with a shark and my daughter wanted to try it, so we stopped here after the Turtle Farm. I didn't realize it's a public beach with food and drinks also. We didn't eat here but did buy a couple of drinks. My sister and nieces needed to use the bathroom, but once they got inside they realized there is no toilet paper. So they went back out to ask the "attendant" and she shoved the tip jar at them and pretty much wouldn't give them any toilet paper until they paid! Bring your own TP when in Mexico, I guess.

The shark area is pretty confusing, with people just standing around. They charged us $5 US per person to get in the water with the shark and an attendant. There is another attendant that takes your picture, but I couldn’t figure out where they sell you the picture or how much they charge and I wouldn't have bought their picture anyway. I just took my own picture. After it was all over, I just felt really sad for the shark; it’s kept in a small fenced dock area and people are in and out of the water with it all day long. It was a pretty big shark but not aggressive at all; my husband said it looks like a nurse shark. Might be better if it was an actual learning experience, but it's just a sad tourist attraction.

5 Thank jentheqoe

Niwot, Colorado
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 38 helpful votes
“Poor nurse sharks”
Reviewed 4 August 2014

This place is an avoidable mess. The nurse shark is held captive so that you can pet it and have your photo snapped. Please don't support these types of operations!

18 Thank sirniwot
San Francisco, California
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Worth visiting to snorkel”
Reviewed 12 July 2014 via mobile

So I bought a pavkage with my family that took us snorkeling to various places around the island. I could not find it here in trip adviser but it was great. The tour guide was super sweet and took care of us and made us feel safe since it was our first time snorkeling.
After, we stopped at playa tiburon to eat. It was beautiful and the food was absolutley amazing too.

1 Thank Monti42
Palm Beach, Florida
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 13 helpful votes
“Not impressed and shark conditions were poor”
Reviewed 7 July 2014

We were dropped off at this beach after a day of fishing and I did not know that it had caged sharks that tourists pick up all day long. I agree with the other reviews that the pens were way too small and the sharks were treated poorly. Basically it was an exploitation of the animals for a profit and I do not recommend supporting that type of activity. Also, although nurse sharks are docile, they can bite. If you want to see nurse sharks take a day trip to Isla Contoy where we saw two beautiful nurse sharks while snorkeling the pristine reef there. Or visit Tortugranja where they have nurse sharks in a much larger area that you can view.

With that said, we did get lunch and the food was good but the service was just OK. The exchange rate they use is very low compared to the hotel. You also have to "Tip" in order to get toilet paper to use in the bathroom. I do not recommend this location.

13 Thank HLocalGirl
Seattle
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 13 helpful votes
“Fun, interesting, worth it”
Reviewed 17 June 2014 via mobile

This was a great experience for us. Surprisingly holding the shark is free (but you should tip them) and you are lowed to take photos with your own camera. There's a photographer who charges $10 for a great photo. Definitely worth going there and holding the shark. Also, get the photo! It's worth it

Visited June 2014