“Feels like home”

Hotel Bucaneros Hotel & Suites
Ranked #10 of 37 Hotels in Isla Mujeres
Reviewed 13 July 2013

We have been staying at Bucaneros for the past ten years and keep coming back for many reasons. The location is perfect - the beach is a short walk, you are close to tons of restaurants, close to the zocalo and supermarket, as well as the ferry and taxis to discover the island. The hotel is clean and there are many options for the size of the room you need, additionally it is a fantastic deal. More than all of that we stay as over the years we have gotten to know the family and staff and it really feels like a second home. Isla Mujeres is a very special place with some of the most amazing people in the world. I will be the first to say it isn't for everyone, but for the lucky ones Isla is a place where each visit back you feel like you never left. We look forward to our next trip!

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Kathryn34

Reviewed 15 June 2013

We found Hotel Bucaneros last minute online on TripAdvisor and to be honest we were a little skeptical at first because we knew nothing of Isla Mujeres & everyone else we seemed to talk to were staying on the beach all inclusive. But when we arrived we were more than satisfied with our choice. We had had previously booked a standard room at the lower price but once arrived we asked if we could upgrade to a room with a mini fridge & the lady at reception (the beautiful family that owned the hotel) upgraded us to a room twice the amount of the room we previously booked but charged us half the amount. I think it came to an extra 300 pesos which was exceptional! The service was great, the breakfast was everything we needed, the hospitality was excellent and the location was even better. Not only did they speak really good English for us amateur backpackers but helped anyway they could. And not to mention they're baby was sooooo cute! ;)

We had a room with a balcony facing the busy street which some may not like but it was perfect for us. We could sit outside and drink and enjoy the vibe. It was loud but didn't last past midnight. We were close to everything and met some great ppl we will hopefully befriend for life. Not to mention the ppl who had previously stated they were stayin at an all inclusive came to visit and decided against the all inclusive and to stay at Hotel Bucaneros next time. Better value for money and a better experience involving yourself more with the public. Thank you Hotel Bucaneros for the great experience & the memories. You will see us again :)

Room Tip: Choose a larger room with balcony & mini fridge! We were in room 102 and loved the fact we could...
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank CarisP
Reviewed 29 May 2013

We have been to Isla before and just love it! This time we brought our 3 kids. We were nervous about what the room would be like since we have one in a crib. But we told them we would have a crib with us and they gave us a room with a huge closet that perfectly fit the crib! I know most would not do this but we live in NYC so we utilize what space we have! The room was clean but the noise from the street was ridiculous. Totally not the fault of the hotel but it was pretty hard to sleep with the light and the noise. It was in a great location though. The front desk was pretty neutral to our presence and wasn't too friendly.

Room Tip: Make sure you specify that you want a quiet room or off of the street and how many people are coming...
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank NycKassie
Reviewed 26 May 2013

It was the first time for me and my family in the hotel Bucaneros. The service was impeccable and very fast when we needed them. Placed at the heart of the island it was perfect for our 3 children and to live at the rhytm of the island. Our room was comfortable with a small kitchenand a sofa to relax and read after a very busy day. We are a family of backpackers and our children from 5 to 9 years old appreciated to have breakfast directly in the hotel and adored practising their Spanish with the staff. If we return to Isla Mujeres one day, it is without hesitations that we shall go to the hotel Bucaneros.
Pat and Karina

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 23 May 2013

After reading the good reviews on TA, I booked 2 rooms here for our recent trip with my father and sister.
First impressions were that it was very basic and dated however we knew to expect that from the reviews and price point. The rooms, ours in particular, were very small. Maybe 8x12ft. Just enough room for a twin bed against the wall and a small path to the washroom.
Our room had a door something similar to a closet door (like a shutter) which ultimately became a big issue. The door is about 2 feet from your head when you are laying down.
Because the door is like a shutter, and the lights in the hallway stay on all night, it is pretty bright at night.
On the first night, a girl sat outside our room on the bench and talked on her cell for 2 hours from 1am to 3am. We were pretty annoyed but didn't say anything.
On the second night, children, (who I believe may have been the children of the housekeeping ladies who I think lived on site) ran up and down the hallway laughing and pounding on doors at 1am.
We reported it to the front desk guy, who couldn't have cared less, and tried to stay positive until the 4th night when, at 4am, a group of Mexican guys showed up and were drinking and talking loudly right outside our room. It seemed like they may have been friends of the overnight "security" kid... who was always sleeping in the morning when we were up early. One of the guys started blasting Justin Timberlake out his phone and my husband had had enough and opened the door to ask him to quiet down. He opened our door to find a guy, legs spread in his tighty whities, laying on the little bench 5 feet from our bed. He asked if he could please keep it down and came back to bed. He said the guy looked wasted and defiant.
About 5 minutes later the music started up again and lasted until 6am. Needless to say we were pretty upset and concerned as they were drunk and we felt trapped in this little room. My husband didn't want to get the guy upset and doesn't speak Spanish and we felt as if we couldn't leave the room without an altercation.
I was also worried about my personal belongings I had left right outside our door to dry. Turns out they did take my Billabong beach blanket which wasn't cheap, but left the $2 Chedraui towels...
At about 6:30, the noise stopped and I went to check on my dad and sister and the guy was still wandering the floor in his underwear.
I told my family to pack up and we went to find another hotel.
When I told the lady at the front desk we were checking out 2 nights early and why, she was extremely sympathetic and understanding, which was nice. I felt bad as I am not a complainer and she was genuinely sorry however I explained that we needed to sleep at night and have peace of mind.
I could have dealt with the small rooms, the brightness and noise from Hidalgo however they really should have better night security here being right on the main drag. It's a small hotel with 3 floors... if a real security guy would just make the rounds every hour or so at night and make sure there was no loitering I think it would go a long way!
No one wants to lay awake in their bed, in a foreign country, wondering if the drunk outside is going to steal from you or start a fight!
We will definitely return to Isla and loved the island but will splurge an extra $30 a night on a nicer place. Lesson learned!

Room Tip: Quieter rooms away from Hidalgo and I believe there is a bigger single room than the one we had... w...
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank mtl_habs_fan
Reviewed 9 April 2013

This was the second trip to Isla for my girlfriend and I. We fell in love with the island during our first visit, and stayed at the Avalon Reef Club. We wanted a different (and cheaper... not that Avalon is expensive) experience this time, and the centrally located Bucaneros certainly fit the bill. You are literally right there on the strip, and probably only a 7-8 minute walk from the ferry. My only concern was how small the rooms are. If you book the least expensive room, be prepared for something smaller than what you might find in Paris. Unfortunately, the hot water in our room didn't work upon check in. We had been looking forward to showering after a full day of travel were feeling quite frustrated after numerous attempts by maintenance to fix the problem. The gentleman at the front desk (Jesus, I believe?) was very empathetic and in the end, upgraded us to a much nicer room free of charge. The price, location, and cleanliness of this hotel can't be beat and they even include a free breakfast. The proximity to the noise and the nightlife can be both a pro and a con, depending on your outlook. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend this hotel for anyone looking for great accessibility to the town.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 16 March 2013

This is my second review of the Hotel Bucaneros,we are seasoned traveler's,having been to most of the island destinations,I can say without a doubt,this hotel,with it's wonderful friendly staff,offers the best bang for the buck (Pesos).We have a nice travel group,who share our opion,this is a multible trip back to this wonderful location at beautiful Isla Mujeres,Mexico.The Hotel General Manager Eyder Jahil is the Director of Tourism for this fantastic resort island & is doing a teriffic job,his beautiful wife gave birth to their first child,a daughter,Iris Sofia,while we were there.Tell the management,Mel recomended you and they will treat you like family.

Room Tip: Travelers staying for longer periods of time,normally get a better rate
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled with friends