“Try the restaurant”

Ranked #9 of 37 Hotels in Isla Mujeres
Wi.
“Try the restaurant”
Reviewed 27 February 2014

We ate supper two different nights here. Garlic fish with slices of garlic clove on it was delicious. As was the grilled chicken breast. Very friendly attentive waiters. Would highly recommend, also a less expensive option

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (57)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
Damariscotta, Maine
Reviewed 16 February 2014

My husband and I stayed 6 nights at Bucaneros last month. We thought the hotel was a great value and is at a central location. We had a room with a balcony. Av. Hidalgo comes to life at night, we enjoyed drinking beers and people watching from our room. The. continental breakfast was basic but good. Make sure you ask to have your room cleaned, they will not do it automatically. The hotel was just a 10 minute walk to Playa Norte where you can do some great off shore snorkeling at the Avalon Reef. We brought a sleeping sound machine with us because other reviews said that the hotel picks up a lot of street noise, we were glad we did!

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank KSC2006
ottawa ontario
Reviewed 25 January 2014

The hotel was very clean and staff where very helpful room was small but funcitional and the value was excellent where could you stay with breakfast for 40 dollars a night and be right in the centre of the tourist area.The breakfast was very good just what you wanted. The beach is 4 minutes away and wonderful.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank bobisfun
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 10 January 2014

This small and full of character hotel was just what we needed on our first nights in Mexico. It was conveniently located with easy access to the beautiful beach in the North and all of the restaurants and shops on the main street. Wifi does not work inside the rooms. Service is excellent!

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Monica C
Reviewed 23 November 2013

Hotel Bucaneros ist a great place to stay on Isla Mujeres. For a room with 2 double beds and a bathroom, we've paid about 40USD. The room was clean and had a small fridge, cups, plates and cutlery. The hotel is in walkdistance to most of the beaches and in the middle of a nice pedestrian street.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank monamuya
new york
Reviewed 21 November 2013

I can´t even begin to describe how horrible this experience was except to say that it ended after less than 7 hours. I checked into this place during a rainstorm on Isla Mujeres after having reserved a room here three nights on a different website. I arrived soaking wet and did request an upper room- I admit that. I was given a room that faced the outside of the hotel. The floors going to ¨the room were flooded and very slippery, but then again so were some interior floors as well. There was also a worker breaking up stairs on the first floor, My room was tiny, old, and I had a choice to either plug in the refrigerator or the hair dryer, cause you couldn´t do both on the plug they offered. In the bathroom the plug was coming out of the wall and seemed rather unsafe. I heard construction noise, and figured I could get a different room. (And here the real fun begins). The woman gave me what I thought was a better room (first room change) on an interior area. No more than 10 minutes later I nearly jumped through the ceiling when the sound of a construction drill as loud as a 747 came crashing through my wall. I ran to the room next door only to find a worker fixing/ renovating/ rebuilding the bathroom. This bathroom looked nearly gutted and major work was being done. I went downstairs, and this time heard more banging, pounding, from everywhere. It was obvious that major construction was being done and I appeared to be the only guest who was not given the news. I told the woman she should have canceled all the guests and that this hotel was not fit for human consumption at this time. She sort of admitted it, but that was that.
I then went to dinner and figured I´d figure out what to do in the morning. When I came back to my interior room it was soaking wet. Water was everywhere, coming in from under the floors in different areas. I now felt like this was some sort of survival game. Was I in some sort of reality show of which I had no awareness? I went downstairs and told (a different) woman the room was flooded. She did not appear very surprised and offered to find me another hotel. Given that the water outside was now up to my knees I asked her if she had a boat that she could transport me in. I then was given another room (room three for those of you keeping score). This one didn´t flood, but it had no curtains to keep out the light, and the noise of the street was palpable. In fact there was a band at one restaurant and it appeared the band members outnumbered the patrons.
I went back downstairs and a man this time said he would definitely find me another hotel. The rain had slowed, the streets had drained, and finally I was almost freed from this disaster. The man named Ilsner or Elszer (sorry I forgot his name cause he was a godsend in this) helped carry my stuff to the very nice Kichna (spelling) hotel a few blocks away. I could at last shake my head at this Bucanero place and say ¨You guys need to find another business, another building, another something, but this place just does not cut it.

Room Tip: find a different hotel
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled solo
5 Thank yuca35
verde valley
Reviewed 25 October 2013

this is one terrific place to stay in Isla Mujeres. its literally surrounded by restaurants, shops, live music venues, etc.

the manager and staff are super friendly and extremely helpful and very accommodating.

the internet could use some help, but i think the manager may be working on that. it works very well in the lobby at least!

Room Tip: splurge and get a balcony room! its very relaxing to sit out there and people watch as hordes of to...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple