“Lovely, but disappointing”

Trimaran Sightseeing Cruise in Cancun
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Reviewed 17 February 2011

We just went to Isla Mujeres for the first time and for the most part it was everything people raved about: great food, friendly people, clear blue-green water, laid-back, etc. The one area we were surprised and kind of disappointed with was Playa del Norte beach. We knew it was small, but we didn't expect that you had to maneuver around people and various wave barriers and sand bags so much. I realize the barriers are probably necessary or this beach would have eroded away years ago. Unfortunate, because the water is shallow and beautiful, but those things are huge eyesores. We were surprised that no one had commented on this before. I suppose they may not always be there, but most of them looked pretty long-term to me. Oh, I need to mention that the west side of the beach doesn't have all the barriers and it is beautiful too, but it is not the part of the beach that you can walk out really far. Don't let this keep you from visiting Isla Mujeres. It really is a neat place. But if you're beach bum vacationers like us, you may be disappointed. We wish we would have known this before going.

5  Thank lorax76
Write a ReviewReviews (5,909)

Reviewed 14 February 2010

Absolutley gorgeous beach, a must see whilst we were staying in cancun, the island is lovely :)

1  Thank S91J
Reviewed 27 October 2009

This is one of my favourite beaches in the world. I could stay here for months if I had the opportunity and an endless supply of books to read.

White sand, clear water that stretches out for miles. Chilled and laid back.

Stay in the youth hostel down the road OR stay in a beach front hotel.

Eat in the mini market a couple of blocks down that serves fantastic and cheap Mexican food and is rammed with locals which is always a good sign.

Do it!

5  Thank vontrap1
Reviewed 27 October 2009

I had a great time at this wonderful beach! I highly recommend Isla Mujeres to everyone. I went twice this year (to Mexico, to Cancun, to Isla Mujeres). The first time I was there it was afternoon, so there were quite a few people at Playa del Norte, but it was not ridiculously crowded. We swam/relaxed on the part of the beach that is on the same side as the ferry (just exit the ferry, turn left, and it's only about 5 minutes walk down the street). We had an excellent afternoon of swimming, people watching, yacht spotting. Then we walked through the downtown (Centro), and saw the shops and eateries. The colorful houses, the streets - we loved it. Isla Mujeres has a pleasant, laid-back, bohemian feel to it, compared to Cancun (which is just across the water). The second time I went (a few months later) it was morning, and the beach was still quite empty. We walked all the way, around the top, to the far side, and had an excellent swim. The beach is just as pleasant on that side. It's an easy walk from the ferry. If you're going to Cancun, and want a really great swim, take the ferry over to Isla Mujeres and catch this place.

11  Thank succeed_2
Reviewed 2 June 2009

Playa del norte was my favorite place on the island. It wasn't crowded during our stay so it was very nice. The sand is white and water is blue...like a paradise!

5  Thank Bibz