“Amazing view for a relaxing vacation”
Review of Casa Ixchel

Casa Ixchel
Ranked #8 of 39 Isla Mujeres B&B and Inns
Reviewed 1 June 2014

Similiar to what some of the other reviews say, this place is a little out of town which for us was great as we had the didnt want to stay at a massive tourist hotel. We paid the extra for an ocean view room which we recomend, as you are only 10ft away from the pool and sun beds. The bar and resturant upstairs are good and they were kind enough to cook some of the fish we caught. The staff speak good english and were very helpful in arranging cabs and booking tours. I wouldnt want to stay anywhere else on the island.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank magpieblackwhite

Reviewed 27 May 2014

I will try to make this helpful.
Getting there –
Use Cancun Cab and have them take you to Puerto Jaurez Ferry. Cost is $55 round trip for two. They will be waiting with sign in hand. Would highly recommend. Then take the ferry to Isla. From that port it is around $14 round trip PP. Rent a cart from Prisma. They are right on the strip once you get off of the ferry to the left. $40 a day.
Hotel –
They hired a great photographer the statue on the picture is 6 inches tall). It is dated and in need of some maintenance. The rooms are very small. Like everyone says, no door on the bathroom. Get over it. I would just like more than 2 feet between the bed and the wall. I have stayed on the island multiple times and I have never stayed in a room this small. The pool is great. There is another small round pool NOT A HOT TUB. The deck needs the nails driven down so you don’t cut your feet. For some reason they painted the deck a dark color, very hot on a bare foot. We tried to get a drink a couple times but there was just no one there. Did not see yoga, did not see anyone eat or have a drink, did not meet anyone other than the girl who checked us in (she was very nice). Not too much of a beach to speak of, you can snorkel but you better be experienced. I went down about a mile and spearfished the tide down to the hotel. Very rough and you better be in shape (I was not and struggled). Location was great. It is in the middle of the island. I love the island as we come about once a year. I guess I would have to say that I would not stay here again, but I really can’t complain as we don’t stay in or at the hotel very much as the island is just awesome.
What to do –
Well obviously, get a golf cart. It is the only way you can truly see the island. Do not stay at your hotel. The people, the sites, the experience is the best. I have been to almost every island in the Caribbean and this is the best. Everyone is very friendly, crime is virtually non-existant, prices are reasonable and the water is second to none. The restaurants on Hidalgo are great and not to be ignored but there are little secret spots all over the island. You need to get out and find them yourself but I will tell you one thing. If you are a drinker, go to Graffon Park and pay for the VIP. It is $79PP and you get high end all inclusive for the whole day. Great food, private bath, lockers, pools. Hot tubs, zip lining, EVERYTHING! Tip well and you will leave a very happy person. Also go to Play Lancheros and get the fish. It was in Bon Appetit and the best fish in Mexico and they do not disappoint. Go to the grocery store and buy beer and booze. Get out and explore.
Precautions –
Tan! Be polite, engage the locals, tip, Have an awesome time!!

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
10  Thank dawsonk
Reviewed 22 May 2014

We stayed here for a couple of days and the hotel was really relaxing not like the big hotels with too many people. The bar and restaurant was very good with a fantastic view over the ocean. Service was very good and helpful.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank mab333
Reviewed 28 April 2014 via mobile

After traveling for 16hrs, arriving here was like heaven.
The staff at the front desk were polite, the restaurant staff were friendly and quite good service.
We stayed in the most basic room but it has everything you need and we slept comfortably.
It's a little bit of a walk to the main area of the town but the walk is also nice and you get to see the neighborhood and the local living.

• Stayed: January 2014
2  Thank larnskeet
Reviewed 22 March 2014

My husband and I stayed 7 nights at Casa Ixchel. We stayed in Grace 1 and 2 with another couple. I can honestly say I had a wonderful experience. The hotel was clean and the staff were friendly and accommodating. Juve and Moy were took great care of us. The restaurant had a gorgeous view of the ocean and the food prepared by Georgio was so delicious and reasonably priced. We ate breakfast here almost every morning. Order the chicken quesadillas. My mouth waters thinking of them. We spent many days relaxing by the pool. The lounge beds were so comfortable to read, relax and take in the view of the ocean. If you want a quiet little piece of paradise this is the place for you. I cannot wait to come back!

4  Thank LauraBiscuits
Reviewed 4 March 2014

Disappointed in the size of these "suites." We stayed in "Love" but we saw the inside of another room next door. Just way too small for the 6 days my husband and I stayed. The bed was in the middle of the room which meant we were tripping over each other with the less than 3 feet we had on each side of the bed. The bed was hard as a rock and the pillows felt like sacks of tennis balls. It didn't matter what time of day we showered we never even had warm water. And the kitchenette was too small to prepare anything in (although we did try twice) and the utensils were very slim pickings. Our shower leaked so every time we used it we had a flood in the bathroom. There was a jacuzzi outside our room that wasn't running and had a film floating on it. Over all if there was just a little more room and warm water I might consider this place again. It was nice to look at and the staff was friendly. The ocean view in the back was amazing and the back pool area was actually a nice place to hang out. We also liked the restaurant upstairs.

2  Thank Sarahsquat
Reviewed 28 February 2014

My husband and I spent four nights at Casa Ixchel. The hotel is in a perfect location on Isla Mujeres. It is on a rocky beach, but within a 10-15 minute walk/5 minute golf cart ride of Playa Norte. I was concerned we might feel like we were far away from things, but it turned out for the best -- we liked being close to town but able to return to peace and quiet, and the proximity to the south end of the island was great. The hotel is pretty, decorated in soothing neutral colors, and the pool area is clean and relaxing with comfy sun beds.

We arrived around 1 pm, and our room was ready. Even though we stayed in one of the smaller rooms (Serendipity), it was more than adequate for our needs. The king-size bed was comfortable, and there was a large dresser and small closet. The room came equipped with a mini-fridge, two huge beach towels and yoga mats. Even though it is billed as "garden view" we could see the ocean if we kept our drapes open, and we could hear the waves crashing. The air conditioning worked well. The hotel provided a pitcher of fresh water each day, and we kept some in our fridge.

Minor quibbles that you should know: the bathroom is separated from the bedroom by a curtain, with no door. I've found this is actually not that unusual in Mexico, but it could be an unpleasant surprise if you are shy about such things. The hotel supplies soap and shampoo, but no conditioner. The shower was warm, but not hot, at peak use times (before dinner and in the morning). On Isla Mujeres, none of the toilets can handle paper, so at Casa Ixchel, like everywhere else, toilet paper goes in the wastebasket. There were plenty of clean, fluffy towels.

There were people staying in the room next to us, and we did not hear a bump or a word. The room was very quiet and private.

When we arrived we were starving and made our way to the roof deck restaurant, where we found friendly servers and the most delicious food. We had two kinds of tacos, guacamole, and tuna ceviche there. The drinks were also delicious, and reasonably priced. The setting is gorgeous and the perfect spot for a welcome-to-vacation cocktail. Breakfast is not included in the room rate, but it was inexpensive when we ate there. Coffee was delicious. There are several great breakfast places on the island to try (I recommend Mango and Cafe Mogagua).

We decided to rent a golf cart, and when we asked the desk clerk about it, she offered to arrange it for us and have the cart delivered the next morning. I highly recommend getting a golf cart to explore the island...it is a beautiful place and we loved the freedom of having our own transportation (though cabs really are everywhere so a golf cart is not required).

I would return to Casa Ixchel in a heartbeat, and hope to go back sooner rather than later. It is not a place for people seeking wild nightlife or a 5-star all-inclusive, but it is perfect for a quiet, romantic getaway.

Go, you won't regret it!

Room Tip: Even garden view rooms have a peek of the ocean. If you plan to lounge around the room, spring for...