“excellent”

Hotel Plaza Almendros
Ranked #17 of 37 Hotels in Isla Mujeres
Reviewed 1 June 2014

Centrally located. It is within steps to fine eateries, convenience stores and short blocks from the beach. It is quiet at night though nightlife abounds outside the walls. I will return for the whale sharks.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank sailboatrak

Reviewed 29 May 2014

We stayed 4 nights at plaza almendros. Large rooms, with kitchette facilities, microwave, toaster etc. Aircon works perfectly and is quiet. Beds are fine, big, a bit hard, but hard beds are the norm in Mexico. All the rooms surround a great pool, with grass bordering around it. Wifi works well. Breakfast is not included in the price, however its located on the main cobbled street with restaurants, street food at your fingertips. The hotel is suprisingly quiet being in the heart of the nightlife. The hotel is approx 3 mins walk to the beach. Convienience store is right outside the hotel. Highly recommend this hotel.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank SarahAmyReid
Reviewed 23 May 2014

It's my 2nd time staying at Plaza Almendros and I was not in the least bit disappointed. The staff was warm, friendly and even more welcoming than my 1st visit and they were magnificient then. The hotel is extremely clean, cool, comfortable, right in the center of all the action but since I faced the pool it was very quiet and great for sleeping. I've read other reviews that say their rooms weren't clean and I'm not sure what happened during their stay but me being an OCD neat & cleaning freak I personally can tell you they cleaned and mopped the hell out of my room and not once did I come in to find a dirty room. Actually a few times I was caught off guard when the housekeeping lady was already coming into my room minutes after I left to clean. I feel like I'm staying with family when I'm there and I love it. I'm looking back to my next vacation already and I know I will be staying here again for the 3rd time. For the price, the service and the size of the room plus amenities that you are getting, you definitely couldn't ask for more unless of course you want 5 star which in that case, good luck finding that on Isla w/o paying a fortune.

Room Tip: If you want quiet, ask for a room facing the pool.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
6  Thank Tweety4676
Reviewed 17 May 2014

There is nothing fancy at this hotel. however the location is great and the hotel was very practical. The pool looked nice but i never used it. others did, so i assume it was fine. I was in a room that faced the pool in the back, so street noise was inaudible. Terrace facing the pool was very spacious. I think any room that faces the front (Hidalgo) might be very noisy at night, as the nearby bars might compete with each other by playing music.
Plenty of restaurants and bars within 5 minutes walk. The ferry is a 5-7 minute walk.
Minus: Our toilet broke down twice.The bathroom towels were very very small. TV was old. You get what you pay for.

Room Tip: Critical: Choose a room facing the back (swimming pool) if you need complete quiet to sleep.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
5  Thank pilozm
Reviewed 29 April 2014

We booked hotel Plaza almendros after reading reviews on trip advisor. We didn't expect a Palace but somewhere clean and in a central location.

We arrived, paid in full and was shown our room (number 9). Simple but unfortunately dirty with hair on the floor, in the sink, shower and toilet. We asked to swap which wasn't a problem and we're shown to number 11. A similar story there and on showing the stained pillow case to the receptionist we were told this was perfectly normal, probably just a red wine stain or rust! We had to ask for a replacement which was seen as an inconvenience.

On deciding to leave we were told we couldn't have our money back as the man who could authorise this wasn't on duty. We asked for a note from the receptionist to explain what had happened and returned the next day. After some argument over paying cancellation fee as the room wasn't acceptable we were refunded in full. We thought this was the end of it until booking.com have emailed us to say the hotel has reported us as not showing and are demanding a 70% cancellation fee.

Do not stay here. Truly appalling.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
9  Thank mundosuenos
Reviewed 27 March 2014

We stayed at Almendros for five days in March and loved every minute. The hotel is old and not too modern but its location and cost more than make up for this. The rooms are large and come equipped with a coffee maker, microwave and toaster. There is a small attractive pool surrounded by the rooms. There are also rooms on the second floor with balconies facing the pool and windows facing the main street - a walking only street. The hotel also provides towels for the pool and/or the beach. The beach (stunning North Beach) is about a 5 minute walk from the hotel. Beach chairs and umbrella cost about 100 pesos away from the main hotel. Excellent restaurants, bars and shops are just outside the hotel to the left or right on the walking only street of Hidalgo.
If you turn left as you leave the hotel and walk to the town square you will find a reasonably large supermarket on the left where you can find items for breakfast/lunch, snacks etc. While Isla Mujeres is touristy, it is low key and most relaxing. I would definitely return to Isla Mujeres and Almendros.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
4  Thank 12Brian12
Reviewed 18 March 2014 via mobile

At 65y.o. I probably wasn't mistaken for a spring breaker when I checked in for my 5 day stay. After reading the reviews, I had requested an interior room but was told "none available". So, upstairs I went. My first clue should have been when I turned on the ceiling fan there was a screeching noise so alarming I had the front desk guy come check it out. Paulo "resolved" the issue by turning off the fan and giving me the Mexican promise, "we'll fix it tomorrow"
I settled on the balcony go watch Hidalgo street come alive in the early evening hours which was initially entertaining but by 11pm annoyingly noisy and by 2am practically intolerable. At 7am I went to the front desk, sleep deprived and grumpy. When Paulo ascertained my Visa card and I were gonna go, suddenly a room around the pool, as I had requested, became available. The alleged guests had "checked out in the middle of the night." The rooms around the pool are as quiet and nice as reviewed by others
SO unless you are on spring break and have no plans to sleep till 4am DO NOT stay on the street side of Hotel Plaza Almendros..,

• Stayed: March 2014