“Very comfortable budget hotel”

Hotel Plaza Almendros
Ranked #19 of 37 Hotels in Isla Mujeres
Reviewed 2 July 2014

My daughter and I just returned from a lovely week on Isla Mujeres, staying at the Hotel Plaza Almendros. We had requested ground floor and got room 13, a corner unit which is slightly larger than the others. Great AC which was pretty important this past week. I'm not used to traveling when it is as humid as it was. We were often relieved to get back into our air conditioning! Beds were comfy enough. I don't mind a hard bed but they also put a little pad on the bed. I slept well every night. Great water pressure in the shower, hot water all the time and no trouble with the toilet. All good things! :)

The pool area is nice. We didn't really use it as much as we thought we would because the water is pretty warm this time of year. When we flew over Isla as we were departing, it was fun to see the Plaza Almendros pool. It is round, so it was clearly recognizable from the air.

The hotel staff is pleasant when greeted, but really I don't believe we were ever greeted first. Not a big deal but I am surprised management hasn't encouraged them to try to greet their guests. It wasn't a busy time on Isla so the hotel was really mostly empty. We felt very comfortable there and would definitely stay again. :)

Room Tip: I don't know if all rooms are quiet but our room #13 was very quiet. Perhaps if people were noi...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank MNhasSnow

Reviewed 17 June 2014

We stayed for 10 days in Feb 2012 and are looking forward to returning in Feb 2015! Staff at front desk as well as the hardworking cleaning ladies were awesome, we had a room in back near pool which was nice and quiet and the kitchentte suited our purpose perfectly! wifi was great sitting outside the room which was lovely ( a little hit and miss inside ) Great place!

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Stevie022
Reviewed 6 June 2014

I think of Plaza Almendros as my Isla Mujeres second home. You can't beat the convenient location. The manager, Polo. and the desk staff go out of their way to keep you happy. The cleaning ladies do an A1 job, cleaning and caring for your belongings. I hope to make it number #8 next year.

5  Thank gilbro01
Reviewed 1 June 2014

Centrally located. It is within steps to fine eateries, convenience stores and short blocks from the beach. It is quiet at night though nightlife abounds outside the walls. I will return for the whale sharks.

2  Thank sailboatrak
Reviewed 29 May 2014

We stayed 4 nights at plaza almendros. Large rooms, with kitchette facilities, microwave, toaster etc. Aircon works perfectly and is quiet. Beds are fine, big, a bit hard, but hard beds are the norm in Mexico. All the rooms surround a great pool, with grass bordering around it. Wifi works well. Breakfast is not included in the price, however its located on the main cobbled street with restaurants, street food at your fingertips. The hotel is suprisingly quiet being in the heart of the nightlife. The hotel is approx 3 mins walk to the beach. Convienience store is right outside the hotel. Highly recommend this hotel.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank SarahAmyReid
Reviewed 23 May 2014

It's my 2nd time staying at Plaza Almendros and I was not in the least bit disappointed. The staff was warm, friendly and even more welcoming than my 1st visit and they were magnificient then. The hotel is extremely clean, cool, comfortable, right in the center of all the action but since I faced the pool it was very quiet and great for sleeping. I've read other reviews that say their rooms weren't clean and I'm not sure what happened during their stay but me being an OCD neat & cleaning freak I personally can tell you they cleaned and mopped the hell out of my room and not once did I come in to find a dirty room. Actually a few times I was caught off guard when the housekeeping lady was already coming into my room minutes after I left to clean. I feel like I'm staying with family when I'm there and I love it. I'm looking back to my next vacation already and I know I will be staying here again for the 3rd time. For the price, the service and the size of the room plus amenities that you are getting, you definitely couldn't ask for more unless of course you want 5 star which in that case, good luck finding that on Isla w/o paying a fortune.

Room Tip: If you want quiet, ask for a room facing the pool.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
6  Thank Tweety4676
Reviewed 17 May 2014

There is nothing fancy at this hotel. however the location is great and the hotel was very practical. The pool looked nice but i never used it. others did, so i assume it was fine. I was in a room that faced the pool in the back, so street noise was inaudible. Terrace facing the pool was very spacious. I think any room that faces the front (Hidalgo) might be very noisy at night, as the nearby bars might compete with each other by playing music.
Plenty of restaurants and bars within 5 minutes walk. The ferry is a 5-7 minute walk.
Minus: Our toilet broke down twice.The bathroom towels were very very small. TV was old. You get what you pay for.

Room Tip: Critical: Choose a room facing the back (swimming pool) if you need complete quiet to sleep.
5  Thank pilozm