“This was just what I was looking for!”
Review of Ixchel Beach Hotel

Ixchel Beach Hotel
Ranked #5 of 37 Hotels in Isla Mujeres
Reviewed 20 July 2008

I have stayed at two other hotels at Isla - and Ixchel is just what I was looking for and will return. Ixchel has all of the luxuries you would need, without attitude. We stayed in one of the one bedroom suites, and the it was gorgeous - please take this from someone who has seen MANY of the rooms on this Island through exploring and friends, this is the nicest and NOT the most expensive. The bathroom is beautiful marble with a separate area for the sink / toilet shower. The towels are nice, thick, and plentiful and the bed is actually a little softer than most in Isla (not sure why but all of the beds on this island are HARD - I know so many people who joke about it even but none of us know why). Anyway, this bed is great and we slept well. There was a safe in the room, which was nice.

The kitchen was small, and while I don't think I'd do a lot of cooking in it, we did bring left overs back once and ate them later. The balcony was wonderful and huge!

Outside the room the hotel was minimal but all you need. No gift shops or activities, but the beach was wonderful, they had plenty of umbrella's and there was staff there to set them up, there were waiters who would take your order and the food from the pool cafe was really awesome!!!! I recommend the Ixchel Salad and Mango Margarita.

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled as a couple
3  Thank lolaherman25
There are newer reviews for Ixchel Beach Hotel

Reviewed 9 July 2008

Terrific location right on Playa Norte, the best beach on the island in my opinion. Sunset Grill, a great restaurant, is right next door. Easy walk to town area or ferry. Staff friendly, modern building. Some rooms include a fridge. Great shower and water pressure. A/C. Paid about $165 per night.

Note the main original building only has double beds. For king size request bldg 2 which is right next door, but I didn't visit.

They take credit cards.

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled on business
2  Thank whereisdave
Reviewed 6 July 2008

We had a wonderful time in Isla!! We stayed in Ixchel condo #409 and 410, Phase I, and it was just perfect. I stayed in the king suite and felt like I was VERY important. I loved the lights on the palm tree, all the decorations, the huge bathroom, all the drawers and the pretty bed. And the view from that room is unbelievable! The balcony is fabulous – I am so glad we stayed in the oceanfront unit. I cannot wait to go back. We were feeling totally spoiled with each of us having our own bedroom and bathroom. And everyone at Ixchel was very friendly and helpful.

We rented a golf cart on two days and explored the island. I had this great map of Isla with all the places to see, and so we saw a lot! We went to Garrafon de Castilla for snorkeling, Punta Sur, Playas Indios and Lancheros, Conch Shell Beach, the Conch Shell House, the cemetery, and the Super Express grocery store – and they were all an adventure! I had fresh squeezed oj from the market, we ate at Pizza Rolandi’s, Villa Rolandi, Casa O’s, Zamas Beach Club, Sunset Grill, and Buho’s. We also got up early every morning and took walks around town and saw something new there every day. I think I have fallen in love with Isla.

• Stayed: June 2008, travelled with friends
3  Thank travelbug1259
Reviewed 2 July 2008

We stayed a week at Ixchel II, Oceanfront Penthouse 709 for our honeymoon. We could not have had a better stay. After weeks of research I am extremely glad to have chosen this condo. The grounds are well maintained, clean rooms, amazing view, great proximity to downtown, and super friendly staff. We chose Isla for its anti-resort, laid-back, relaxed setting and couldn't be happier. The people are friendly, the city is beautiful, the food is amazing, and the atmosphere reminds me of Mexico 20 years ago. We spend 2 days exploring the island, 2 days laying on the beach, 1 day fishing, and 1 day snorkeling. I would highly recommend the island to anyone looking to find culture and get away from the "all-inclusive" resorts. We looked at many hotels, houses, and condo's online, and check a lot of them out while we were on the island to start planning our next trip. Let me tell you, don't look any further than Ixchel for the best place on the island. The condo unit had a kitchen where we made breakfast, snacks (salsa, guacamole, and/or quesadillas) and margaritas fresh daily. It was fun to shop in the local grocery store with all the locals. We spend a lot of time lounging on the deck or hanging out in the hot tub to watch the sunset. The beach is great and the restaurant next door will deliver meals and drinks right to your lounge chair. Again, I would highly recommend this place to anyone looking for the best condo on the island
PS~ This is the oceanfront unit at the top of the tallest building on the island. Amazing!!!

• Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank Tfarina
Reviewed 28 June 2008

Ixchel Beach Hotel was the 3rd leg of our Mayan Riviera wedding/honeymoon trip. It is a nice hotel that is made up of 2 buildings...the east building is mainly vacation rental/condos and the west building, where we stayed, is the hotel portion but has the feel of a vacation rental. Our check in was quick, and all the staff we came in contact with were nice and helpful. We booked a standard ocean view room without a balcony and were pleased...it was very large and had a nice view of the pools and the beach. I would have loved to have had a balcony, but since we wanted to save a little money toward the end of our honeymoon trip the window view was fine. The beach immediately in front of the hotel is rocky and not very nice...you can ask staff to set up lounge chairs and umbrellas for you free of charge, but we opted for lounging immediately in front of the Sunset Grill, which is only a few feet away from the Ixchel beachfront. You can charge meals to your room at Sunset Grill which is nice, but they charge for using the chairs and umbrellas. However, it is worth it b/c the beach there is AMAZING!!! I felt as if I were in a lake, the water is so calm and clear! The food at Sunset Grill was good, and the drinks were yummy!

The location of the hotel is great, only a block away from the action on Hidalgo and a short taxi ride from the ferry dock. We hadn't been to Isla for 5 years, and I must say we were amazed at how developed the island has become since then. In a way, we were a little saddened because it seems to have taken away a bit of the small island charm. There is a ton of construction going on, and I would recommend going soon before it changes too much. Still, it is a GREAT place to visit - we had a marvelous time and will definitely be back. I think we would return to Ixchel also in the future, but we may try another hotel next time around. Not that Ixchel isn't nice, but there are many others to choose from. Ixchel is a nice place, but nothing spectacular. However, it's a good bargain, the location is great, and it was a comfortable stay without problems. I would recommend it to those who want simple but nice accomodations in a central location!!

1  Thank iluv2traveli
Reviewed 27 June 2008

Looking for a romantic getaway, my boyfriend and I chose Isla Mujeres for its seclusion and laid back reputation. After spending days reading reviews online I picked the Ixchel Beach Hotel (on the North Beach), keeping in mind some of the negative things other people had said in their reviews. When we got off the ferry we made the mistake of walking to the hotel instead of hiring one of the guys on bikes (definitely will take them up on their offer next time) but it was only a few blocks (just seemed longer with the luggage). Once we got there we were greeted by a friendly staff who quickly checked us in and showed us to our rooms. The elevators were out of order (because the hotel is very open-air, during heavy rain they shut the elevators down to prevent electrical problems) but we really didn't mind (it was actually nice, and made us feel better about indulging on all the daiquiris and fantastic food). After the long trip, the first thing I decided to do was take a shower, but there was a problem with the water pressure in our room. No problem, the guy at the front desk (I wish I could remember his name now) was fantastic and got us moved to a new (upgraded!) room in minutes. They even brought us a water dispenser with a huge jug of drinking water when we mentioned thirst. And yes, the hotel pool is shaded...but the gorgeous beach is only a few more steps away! (Honestly, who goes to Mexico for their swimming pools??) The restaurant affiliated with the hotel, Sunset Grill, is not directly on site, it is a few steps away so that it is situated right on the beach (and not like beach front, I mean really ON the beach) and the staff is the most friendly, helpful and easy going that I have ever encountered. And did I mention the bar has swings instead of stools? My boyfriend and I lounged at the water's edge in comfy chairs as the staff brought frosty beverages right to us...definitely fulfilling the fantasy we had of our vacation. Luis at the bar even helped us pick up a little Spanish. The dinner menu wasn't the best we had (don't even bother for breakfast), but the cocktails and atmosphere couldn't be beat. They even have live music most nights. Definitely a great place to relax during the day. And I highly recommend getting a massage by one of the women with tents set up on the sand. For the duration of our stay both the hotel and restaurant staff were more than helpful advising us on activities and the best way to do and see things. On our next trip there (we loved it so much we vowed to return) we will definitely be returning to the Ixchel Beach Hotel.

As for the rest of the island, the atmosphere and activities create the perfect getaway. We discovered a little breakfast place short walk from the hotel called Amigo's, and loved it so much that we ate there every morning. BEST BREAKFAST EVER! The staff was great and it's really a tiny place that's half outside where you can watch the shops set up for the day. We rented a golf cart for one day (the cheapest, most efficient way to get around) and went down to the other end of the island to Garafon Park. I had my heart set on the zip line so we splurged the $50, but I felt the park was a little overpriced. I'm sure if you were going to really make the day of it, the hammock garden, swimming with dolphins and other things they have there would be well worth it. We really enjoyed the sculpture park (which was only about $6) and walked the coastal path a bit...bring your camera the scenery is flawless.

Most of our time was spent meandering the streets and checking out the little shops where merchants were welcoming and fun. On the Saturday night that we were there I got up around 2am to use the bathroom, and since it had the only open window, when I opened the door I heard loud music and saw lights. Looking out the window I saw what looked like one hell of a wedding, partying late into the night. They didn't keep us up (with the A/C on and the windows closed the room was pretty much soundproof) but it looked like such a good time we considered crashing the party (but didn't).

On our second to last day there we got caught in the only really heavy rain, but in the Mexico heat, running through the downpour was more fun than inconvenience. We ran soaking wet into Jax Bar and Grill for dinner and by the end we were wondering why we hadn't eaten there all week. Being an Irish "meat and potatoes" kind of girl, I was surprised at how unbelievably perfect my enormous steak was. That alone was worth the trip.

Despite all the places around the world I have been, it took me a long time to get to Mexico, and after doing the research I am SO GLAD we picked Isla Mujeres as our destination. Most tourists will visit the island for a day excursion from Cancun, but we spend the entire trip there and loved every minute. If you're looking for a true getaway, a warm place to relax and actually have someone bring you blended cocktails while you tan by the water, this is the place. With the US's economy like it is, prices were pretty much the same (with some exceptions...READ: bring sunscreen for home...$12 a bottle!). It was the trip we were hoping for...slow-paced, romantic, tropical and completely rejuvenating. We are already planning our next trip to Isla Mujeres and can't wait!

• Stayed: January 2008, travelled as a couple
3  Thank heynicole
Reviewed 25 June 2008

We spent 4 days at the Hotel Ixchel, in a standard oceanview room. This hotel is perfectly situated on the beautiful Playa Norte. You cannot ask for a better location. It is within 1-2 blocks of town and many restaurants and bars. The staff at the hotel are very nice, attentive and extremely accomodating to any requests. Each building has its own pool and of course sits on the most beautiful beach on the island. The rooms are very nice and decorated in a Mexican style.

I loved both the island and the hotel and am looking forward to returning some day soon.