“Paradise!”
Review of Ixchel Beach Hotel

Ixchel Beach Hotel
Ranked #5 of 37 Hotels in Isla Mujeres
Reviewed 14 July 2014

I stayed at this hotel with my daughter from July 8-13 2014. The beach is GORGEOUS, the location is perfect, the rooms are exactly what we wanted and the staff could not have been better.

The hotel is located 1 block away from Hidalgo Ave, which is the main avenue lined with shopping and restaurants. The beach is big and perfect, adjacent to the famous North Beach.

The best part of the hotel is the staff, especially the concierge, Mauricio. He will see to it that all your needs are met and can advise you on just about everything! And he never stops smiling! The front desk staff were very friendly and attentive to our every need.

The beach restaurant bar staff was equally as friendly. They remembered our names and our food and drink preferences after the first day.

We used free wi-fi every day and never had a problem.

Our room air conditioning was COLD! Thank goodness because it was extremely HOT outside!

Highly recommend and plan to return again soon!

3  Thank jackiecroft321
ixchelbeachh0tel, Director de Relaciones con Clientes at Ixchel Beach Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 22 July 2014

Greetings dear jackiecroft321,

Thank you for sharing your experience!

Ho wonderful to know that you have enjoyed your recent holidays. Your comments cheer up our team work and service spirit to continue delivering memorable moments.

We highly appreciate your kind comments about our hotel and restaurant Staff and we fell honored to be consider as your host in another time where we will be very happy to welcoming you back.

Warmest regards!
Customer Service.

There are newer reviews for Ixchel Beach Hotel

Reviewed 14 July 2014

My husband and I stayed at Ixchel Beach Hotel July 2nd - 7th 2014. Unfortunately, we had several issues with the hotel. Some issues were small but when combined with the bigger issues, it all becomes a problem. We booked a King Suite with Balcony through Hotels.com We traveled with another couple and by coincidence, the hotel put us in rooms next to each other on the 6th floor of Tower II (606 & 605) It was great because our friends had booked a Standard One Bedroom and we had a suite with a balcony. We had a door connecting the two rooms and we were able to unlock the door so that we could share the space. The view was wonderful and we were very pleased with our rooms. Everything was going well. (ISSUE #1): On Saturday, July 5th at approximately 11:00 a.m., I received a call in our room from the front desk advising me that my husband and I needed to change rooms for the last few days of our stay. They stated that because we booked through Hotels.com, our room was not guaranteed and they wanted to give our room to someone else. I explained that I did not want to change rooms because we were already unpacked and our friends were staying next door. A supervisor then called me back and was being forceful, telling me several times that we had to change rooms and that it was not the hotels responsibility to tell us upon check-in that we would have to change rooms and it was the responsibility of Hotels.com to inform us that we had to change rooms. I explained to the supervisor that this did not make sense, we were given a room upon check-in for our entire stay, no one at the hotel informed us that we would need to change rooms and I was not changing rooms (they wanted to move us to a room on the 2nd floor). The supervisor said she would talk to her manager and call me back. I went to the lobby to talk to the manager myself but was informed by the front desk that the manager was not on duty yet. When I told the front desk person who I was and why I wanted to speak to the manager, he called the supervisor back and then said "everything is ok and you do not have to change rooms." The supervisor then came to our room and told us we did not have to change rooms. No one apologized and they made us feel like we were second class citizens because we booked through Hotels.com instead of directly through the hotel. I had to spend my morning on my vacation arguing with someone about not changing rooms. I have reported this issue to Hotels.com (ISSUE #2): towel charges. If you want beach or pool towels, you pick them up at a booth at the beach, they note your room number, how many towels and then you sign the paper and you are given towels. When you return the towels, they make note of it on the invoice and give you a copy. If you don't return towels you are charged on your bill. We returned our towels every day but one afternoon it was after 5:00 p.m., when we went to return our towels at the booth, they told us the front desk had our receipt since it was after 5:00. They booth took our towels and told us to get the receipt from the front desk. When we went to the front desk, they told us they couldn't find the receipt but not to worry that they had made note on our room that we returned the towels. When we went to check-out there were towel charges. We again had to have a debate with the front desk. They did take the charges off but not before they gave us a hard time about it. Our friends who had checked out earlier that day also had towel charges on their account which were also taken off but not without a back and forth about the charges. I've learned my lesson to get something in writing with someone's name and signature on it if this ever happens again. (Misc. small inconveniences): #1) The concierge booked a golf cart for us, they lost our friends license for an entire day but did find it the next day. The concierge was very apologetic and nice about the situation. #2) We personally asked the front desk for the concierge so we could book a dinner reservation at Olivia's for that evening. The concierge was not around and the front desk said they would take care of it. They took down our information and even said our name out loud to us before we could tell them what name to book the reservation under. When we got to the restaurant, there was not reservation. Luckily they were able to fit us in. #3) Our friends room had a musky smell but they did have a de-humidifier in the room. The de-humidifier would beep when it was full with water and our friends had to get up several times during the night to empty the water because it was beeping. #4) the hotel can be noisy. We were woken up on two different nights, late. One night it sounded like someone was having a party on the outdoor penthouse balcony about us and then you could hear people yelling and honking horns in other areas. The second night I believe it was a wedding party at the other tower partying on their roof top penthouse and someone had a bull horn. #5) our bed was hard as a rock and not comfortable. Same with the beds in our friends room next door. The (NICE THINGS) about the hotel: Mauricio the Concierge was wonderful!; the location of the hotel can't be beat - walking distance to shops, restaurants, the ferry and right on north beach; every suite has a ocean view and a nice sized balcony; the rooms were clean and nicely decorated with a large purified water container; the food, drinks and service at the beach grill and at the beach chairs was great; there are off property restaurants and activities that you can charge directly to your room at the hotel.

Room Tip: All suites have a balcony that have an ocean view. Standard rooms do not have balconies. The ocean f...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Candice R

Dearest

Thank you for taking the time to share your recent experience and we highly appreciate your valuable input.

We would like to apologize for the inconveniences described in your review and deeply regret that you have to go trough all of this. Every single detail that you mention helped us to identify and adjust procedures bringing us a huge opportunity to improve and redouble efforts looking forward to achieve our mission; deliver the best possible experience to our Guests.

Your comments about our location and accommodations are highly appreciated. We hope to have the honor to welcoming you back in another time and see then how your comments helped us to improve and experience memorable holidays worthy to remember.

We wish you all the best!
Customer service.

Reviewed 13 July 2014 via mobile

Very good hotel. It's location on playa north, the nicest beach in isla, just do the vacation. The service is very nice, the concierge is the most pleasant man i ever meet, superb. Why not 5 points? The wi fi was Terrible, so many network with poor signal, passwords...not in the league is Supposed to be.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank erelb2014

Dear erelb2014,

Thank you for your valuable comments.

We would like to apologize for the inconveniences related with our WiFi signal. As a part of our endless commitment with your satisfaction we are working hard together with our supplier looking up to improve the signal of this complimentary service to get a consistence and quality wireless connection.

It's so wonderful to know as well that you have a great time and enjoy our beautiful location. We always be looking forward to a new opportunity to host you back in the near future.

Best regards!
Customer Service.

Reviewed 13 July 2014

We booked our 8 day stay directly with the hotel and upon our arrival we were surprised with a beautiful bottle of wine on the house.

Our Room PROS--We stayed in the Penthouse Suite Rooms 501/502. It was clean, comfortably decorated and there was plenty of room for the 5 of us. The kitchen was equipped with everything we needed for our whole stay. The rooftop deck was large and accommodating for a large group of people but it lacked a really good shade area. Maybe add an umbrella up there :) We really enjoyed the jacuzzi at night when the pool closed. Our daily housekeeping service was fabulous and we never had any issues with the cleanliness or towels.

Our Room CONS--Honestly, the beds were not comfortable at all and we all dreaded going to bed because we knew we'd all have sleepless nights. The biggest fail in the entire suite was in the master bedroom (501). Each room has it's own AC control in the suite. In the Master Bedroom, the AC went on, went off, went on, went off, and each time it did, the bedroom door would hit the frame so we had to stick a sock in between the door and the jam the entire trip so we didn't hear it hit every few seconds. I laid there one night counting and the air came on, 23 seconds later it went off, 45 seconds later it came back on, a minute later it went off. Drove me CRAZY, ALL night long!!

Mauricio & Milton--I had exchanged numerous emails and phone calls with both gentlemen from the day I booked up until we got there.Mauricio did his very best to get us where we needed to be even when they ran out of carts by calling another company who was able to get us a cart within 5 minutes! We rented a golf cart twice during our stay directly from the hotel lobby and both times we were pleased with the equipment. Mauricio was always prompt, helpful and a very gracious employee to deal with. He is definitely an asset to Ixchel!

Beach/Bar service--never had any issues with them other than them being awesome all day long! From the guys who set up our chairs and umbrellas to those taking drink and food orders, we were always taken care of and had zero complaints. Service at the bar was always easy and the 2 for 1 drinks were always great. I do however have to say that Arturo is THE MAN! He remembered our name and room number, was always as sweet as could be, loved to interact with everyone and made our trip so much better! It's hard to find great service like he offers.

Food--We enjoyed the restaurant quite a bit, especially when it was really hot and didn't want to have to walk up Hidalgo just to get a small snack. The fries and guacamole were our favorites. Breakfast had the best selection and tasted pretty good as well.

Massage--I treated my daughter and myself to a 1 hour massage. It was scheduled to be on the beach but lightning forced us inside. The massages were great (Thanks Anna & Jessica!) but it was hard to relax with the non stop barking pit bull dog across the street who wouldn't shut up! It would be a good idea to move the relaxation center on the other side of the facility or else soundproof the current room!!

Overall, we enjoyed our stay at Ixchel and our first trip to Mexico.

Room Tip: Get a pool or beach view!!
3  Thank ThisGirlLovesFL
Reviewed 9 July 2014

We stayed for a destination over the 4th of July. Facility was clean, staff was attentive but there are some issues that would make me reconsider staying there should we return to the area. The biggest issue being the pool closes at 8pm. We were under the impression that things stayed open later because the bars and downtown do but the waterfront we also noticed dies early. When we booked they said that there was wifi in the rooms. That is not correct. After check in we were informed that the wifi was "being worked on" and they cannot guarantee wifi in the rooms but you can get it in the lobby. the "lobby" isn't really designed to hang out in. the drink service at the pool bar leaves a lot to be desired. they were not really eager to serve but the drinks were strong and 2 for 1. The other big issue was the beach towels. they require you to essentially sign them out from a desk that is only manned until 5pm. If it isn't returned they charge you 20 usd.

Room Tip: we stayed in the first tower, which is the shorter of the two. the rooms were nicer than the ones i...
Reviewed 9 July 2014

My friend and I stayed at Ixchel in late June. I wavered in between 3 and 4 stars for a couple of reasons. The hotel is average. Its is a clean, adequate place to stay. Everything functions well and there were no issues. The staff and the beach are what took it up a notch for me. Everyone there was so lovely, and willing to go the extra mile. From the front desk to the beach, our needs were met with smiles. Playa Norte is calm and beautiful. We spent most of the day floating around in the ocean...heaven!

Room Tip: only king bedrooms have balconies
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank VictoriaCH
Reviewed 5 July 2014 via mobile

Best beach access on the island. Close to the pedestrian only street full of restaurants and shops. Very attentive staff. The concierge Mauriceo really makes this hotel special. He is warm and welcoming and extremely helpful. We booked an ocean/garden view room but unfortunately had a view of the pool bar rooftop. However this didn't matter at all as we spent very little time in our room. Would stay here again.

Stayed: July 2014