“Great hotel, wonderful service”
Review of Ixchel Beach Hotel

Ixchel Beach Hotel
Ranked #5 of 37 Hotels in Isla Mujeres
Reviewed 27 July 2014

We recently brought our youth group here for an overnight and were so happy with all aspects of the stay. The communication previous to our arrival was easy--we received prompt answers to our questions and requests. We arrived very early and were greeted with cool towels and obvious preparation to make our sign in easy. All the staff members (front desk, concierge, restaurant and service staff) were friendly and approachable and responded quickly to requests. They also helped facilitate a quick check out by phoning their restaurant to expedite our breakfast billing and helped so much with our multi taxi departure. The hotel location is amazing, the beach beautiful, the rooms were spotless and well equipped. Shaded seating is provided, and the towel service was efficient and easy. We could easily walk to town. We appreciated the free wifi and found service in the lobbies to be extremely fast. Thanks to all.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends

Reviewed 26 July 2014 via mobile

My family and I only stayed for one night last week, but we found almost everything about Ixchel to be forgetable. The service was fine, but not great. The one bedroom suite was nice, but lacking any personality. The hotel was clean enough, but not spotless. All in all, everything was just ok. The saving grace for Ixchel is it's perfect location on Playa Norte. Very beautiful
And well maintained beach. Also, my daughter loved her food from the beach bar at the property. We probably wouldn't stay again.

Stayed: July 2014
1  Thank Kelli K
ixchelbeachh0tel, Director de Relaciones con Clientes at Ixchel Beach Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 29 July 2014

Greetings dear Kelli K,

Thank you for your valuable comments.

You input motivate us to deliver a memorable experience to all our Guests providing our best even for one night reservation.

We will look forward for a new opportunity to host you back and welcoming you with open arms to enjoy an extended holiday and a full Ixchel experience!

Very best regards,

Reviewed 24 July 2014

Ixchel was wonderful! We stayed here for our wedding on the island and it was the perfect place to stay. The staff were always friendly and helpful. The location is perfect: right on the beach and close to all the restaurants downtown. The rooms were clean and very nice. I have nothing but great things to say about our stay here. I am incredibly happy we chose Ixchel for us and our guests!

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank Bridget M
Reviewed 16 July 2014 via mobile

Truly amazing stay. Contrary to others we had 110% help from staff esp maurico who really made our stay special sorting out our activities and even checking how it went - Never had such amazing service. Penthouse 501 is truly v spacious with great views. The penthouse had 2 bedrooms one with double bed the other 2 3/4 beds. large sitting room great TV with hbo plus. Kitchen of course. then same area again as roof terrace with jacuzzi and many feature deck chairs including a four poster!! Hose to Wah scuba gear etc, all matched by a lovely island with great atmosphere. We would stay again .

Stayed: July 2014
2  Thank NickBlaireLee
Reviewed 16 July 2014

The trouble started at check-in, and ran through the rest of the stay. I travel all over the world and this was without a doubt the worst customer service I have ever experienced. The staff was rude, the room had water damaged rotted curtains, the price was not good. I was so displeased that I took a bunch of pictures of all the issues and then decided to just delete them for my own happiness. I was finally put over the top when the guy who controls the beach towel, aggressively questioned the number of beach towels we requested, and then arrogantly informed us that we would be charged $20 each if we didn't promptly return them. Trust me, if they paid $5 for them each new, they paid too much.
TIP: If I had to do this again, I would probably stay on the mainland & day trip here.
Pros: Location on Playa Norte
Cons: Every Other Possible Thing

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
8  Thank Seashark7
ixchelbeachh0tel, Director de Relaciones con Clientes at Ixchel Beach Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 16 July 2014

Dear Seashark7

Thank you very much for your valuable input.

Please accept our sincere apologies for the inconveniences described on your review related with the services delivered by our staff, room features and towels procedures. Our daily target is your satisfaction and we deeply regret for not being able to achieve this goal during your recent stay. Your comments are the most important and powerful tool to identify areas where we need to improve as our endless commitment to deliver the best experience to our Guests.

If you may like to take a few minutes of your valuable time and share additional information about your recent stay it would be highly appreciated, you can reach us by email at: customerservice@ixchelbeachhotel.com

We take this as a challenge to encourage our procedures in order to guarantee a memorable holidays to all of our Guest. If you would consider return to Isla Mujeres we invite you to come back and experience these improvements to be witness of how your comments helped us.

We wish you all the best!

Reviewed 14 July 2014

I stayed at this hotel with my daughter from July 8-13 2014. The beach is GORGEOUS, the location is perfect, the rooms are exactly what we wanted and the staff could not have been better.

The hotel is located 1 block away from Hidalgo Ave, which is the main avenue lined with shopping and restaurants. The beach is big and perfect, adjacent to the famous North Beach.

The best part of the hotel is the staff, especially the concierge, Mauricio. He will see to it that all your needs are met and can advise you on just about everything! And he never stops smiling! The front desk staff were very friendly and attentive to our every need.

The beach restaurant bar staff was equally as friendly. They remembered our names and our food and drink preferences after the first day.

We used free wi-fi every day and never had a problem.

Our room air conditioning was COLD! Thank goodness because it was extremely HOT outside!

Highly recommend and plan to return again soon!

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank jackiecroft321
ixchelbeachh0tel, Director de Relaciones con Clientes at Ixchel Beach Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 22 July 2014

Greetings dear jackiecroft321,

Thank you for sharing your experience!

Ho wonderful to know that you have enjoyed your recent holidays. Your comments cheer up our team work and service spirit to continue delivering memorable moments.

We highly appreciate your kind comments about our hotel and restaurant Staff and we fell honored to be consider as your host in another time where we will be very happy to welcoming you back.

Warmest regards!

Reviewed 14 July 2014

My husband and I stayed at Ixchel Beach Hotel July 2nd - 7th 2014. Unfortunately, we had several issues with the hotel. Some issues were small but when combined with the bigger issues, it all becomes a problem. We booked a King Suite with Balcony through Hotels.com We traveled with another couple and by coincidence, the hotel put us in rooms next to each other on the 6th floor of Tower II (606 & 605) It was great because our friends had booked a Standard One Bedroom and we had a suite with a balcony. We had a door connecting the two rooms and we were able to unlock the door so that we could share the space. The view was wonderful and we were very pleased with our rooms. Everything was going well. (ISSUE #1): On Saturday, July 5th at approximately 11:00 a.m., I received a call in our room from the front desk advising me that my husband and I needed to change rooms for the last few days of our stay. They stated that because we booked through Hotels.com, our room was not guaranteed and they wanted to give our room to someone else. I explained that I did not want to change rooms because we were already unpacked and our friends were staying next door. A supervisor then called me back and was being forceful, telling me several times that we had to change rooms and that it was not the hotels responsibility to tell us upon check-in that we would have to change rooms and it was the responsibility of Hotels.com to inform us that we had to change rooms. I explained to the supervisor that this did not make sense, we were given a room upon check-in for our entire stay, no one at the hotel informed us that we would need to change rooms and I was not changing rooms (they wanted to move us to a room on the 2nd floor). The supervisor said she would talk to her manager and call me back. I went to the lobby to talk to the manager myself but was informed by the front desk that the manager was not on duty yet. When I told the front desk person who I was and why I wanted to speak to the manager, he called the supervisor back and then said "everything is ok and you do not have to change rooms." The supervisor then came to our room and told us we did not have to change rooms. No one apologized and they made us feel like we were second class citizens because we booked through Hotels.com instead of directly through the hotel. I had to spend my morning on my vacation arguing with someone about not changing rooms. I have reported this issue to Hotels.com (ISSUE #2): towel charges. If you want beach or pool towels, you pick them up at a booth at the beach, they note your room number, how many towels and then you sign the paper and you are given towels. When you return the towels, they make note of it on the invoice and give you a copy. If you don't return towels you are charged on your bill. We returned our towels every day but one afternoon it was after 5:00 p.m., when we went to return our towels at the booth, they told us the front desk had our receipt since it was after 5:00. They booth took our towels and told us to get the receipt from the front desk. When we went to the front desk, they told us they couldn't find the receipt but not to worry that they had made note on our room that we returned the towels. When we went to check-out there were towel charges. We again had to have a debate with the front desk. They did take the charges off but not before they gave us a hard time about it. Our friends who had checked out earlier that day also had towel charges on their account which were also taken off but not without a back and forth about the charges. I've learned my lesson to get something in writing with someone's name and signature on it if this ever happens again. (Misc. small inconveniences): #1) The concierge booked a golf cart for us, they lost our friends license for an entire day but did find it the next day. The concierge was very apologetic and nice about the situation. #2) We personally asked the front desk for the concierge so we could book a dinner reservation at Olivia's for that evening. The concierge was not around and the front desk said they would take care of it. They took down our information and even said our name out loud to us before we could tell them what name to book the reservation under. When we got to the restaurant, there was not reservation. Luckily they were able to fit us in. #3) Our friends room had a musky smell but they did have a de-humidifier in the room. The de-humidifier would beep when it was full with water and our friends had to get up several times during the night to empty the water because it was beeping. #4) the hotel can be noisy. We were woken up on two different nights, late. One night it sounded like someone was having a party on the outdoor penthouse balcony about us and then you could hear people yelling and honking horns in other areas. The second night I believe it was a wedding party at the other tower partying on their roof top penthouse and someone had a bull horn. #5) our bed was hard as a rock and not comfortable. Same with the beds in our friends room next door. The (NICE THINGS) about the hotel: Mauricio the Concierge was wonderful!; the location of the hotel can't be beat - walking distance to shops, restaurants, the ferry and right on north beach; every suite has a ocean view and a nice sized balcony; the rooms were clean and nicely decorated with a large purified water container; the food, drinks and service at the beach grill and at the beach chairs was great; there are off property restaurants and activities that you can charge directly to your room at the hotel.

Room Tip: All suites have a balcony that have an ocean view. Standard rooms do not have balconies. The ocean f...