To be fair, I probably didn't do enough research when I booked this hotel. We had spent two glorious weeks in Akumal before going to Isla and our expectations were maybe off base a little.
Pros for us were
- Location cannot be beat . Right on Playa Norte and minutes from all the lovely restaurants and shops in downtown area.
- Rooms kept very clean.
- Staff at reception and Como No restaurant very friendly and helpful.
Afraid the Cons for us outweighed the pros.
- The ongoing construction in the area is not pleasant. It reminded me of Spain's tourism growth of the 70s.
- In particular, the top end of Hidalgo between the two phases is a sandpit, as they are readying it for paving. While paving is a good thing, walking in this area is dangerous at night as it is poorly lit. Anyone with even minor mobility issues may have a problem as , for example , there are huge gouges and holes in which to twist an ankle.
- The hotel is almost too modern for our tastes. It has the clinical feel of a hospital on all floors above the 1st floor as everything seems so white, with no warmth in the decor.There is absolutely nothing Mexican about it. It felt as if you could be almost anywhere in the world.
We will probably go back to Isla, but not to Ixchel Beach Hotel.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Among the best hotels in Isla Mujeres, visit Ixchel Beach Hotel, a two wing, two phase condotel complex with 117 rooms in Isla Mujeres. East Wing (Phase One) with 48 rooms, 5 stories and opened in June 2006; West Wing (Phase Two) with 69 rooms, 6 stories and opened in August 2007. Both properties (see Accomodation Remark below) are designed in Mexican casual and modern stylish buildings located at the beautiful North Beach on the colorful island of Isla Mujeres (Women Island).Ixchel for the Mayans was the Goddess of love, fertility and the moon. Walking a few steps from downtown of this friendly island and facing the most beautiful white sand & powder touch beaches of Isla Mujeres, in the Yucatan Peninsula and the Mexican Caribbean, our Isla Mujeres hotel offers warm personable service in an upscale, intimate island experience perfect for families and romantics.If you want a great escape to a Isla Mujeres hotel, our hotel is ideal for the relaxing weekend getaway or a romantic honeymoon retreat. Treat yourself to all of the luxury that our Ixchel Hotel in Isla Mujeres has to offer and enjoy the surrounding areas, activities and beauty.Premier in Isla Mujeres hotels, the Ixchel Beach Hotel offers luxurious amenities, outstanding service and a tranquil atmosphere to completely relax and enjoy your Mexican vacation. You won't find a more beautiful or more convenient location to soak in the sun and experience this amazing island of Isla Mujeres.If you are looking among hotels in Isla Mujeres, look no further than the Ixchel Beach Hotel. You won't be disappointed. You, the guest, are our number one priority and your comfort and enjoyment during your vacations in Mexico and lodging experience are our primary concern. We will do everything we can to make your stay nothing short of spectacular. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Southall Travel, LoveHolidays, Booking.com, Travel Republic (UK), Expedia, Hotels.com, HotelsClick, Ebookers, Evoline ltd, getaroom.com, Cancelon, 5viajes2012 S.L. and HotelQuickly so you can book your Ixchel Beach Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.