“Better than home!”
Review of Casa Sirena Hotel

Casa Sirena Hotel
Ranked #2 of 39 Isla Mujeres B&B and Inns
Reviewed 14 November 2007

Six of us celebrating our 40th birthdays stayed at Casa Sirena for five days, and we wished we could have stayed longer. It's a beautiful six-room b&b, very charming, and the owner. Steve Broin, is a gracious host. The free breakfasts are fabulous - I loved the fruit crepes with pina colada yogurt - and the rooftop happy hours are even better. Steve makes a mean margarita, and the guacamole is the best I've ever had. We loved meeting the other guests, and getting tips on restaurants, etc. from them and from Steve. Casa Sirena is conveniently located near the main shopping area of Isla Mujeres, so we could walk to shops, restaurants and the beach. We rented golf carts to zip around the rest of the island - it's not very big. I would definitely stay there again - we had a wonderful time.

• Stayed: October 2007, travelled with friends
1  Thank Minnesota_traveler16

Reviewed 8 November 2007

My husband Wayne and I love to travel and find ourselves drawn to Isla over and over again.
On our last visit we discovered yet another jewel on this beautiful little laid back island. Casa Sirena, is a quaint little bed and breakfast in the middle of town. It provided us with such a unique vacation experience. The decor is beautiful and the breakfast to die for. The staff was delightful and the sunset happy hour was awsome. We found ourselves each evening exchanging stories of the day with the owner Steve and the other guests, usually ending up all together at a local restraunt having dinner.

We can't wait to go back, Thanks Steve.

Deborah
Las Vegas

1  Thank Atlantis9
Reviewed 25 October 2007

Just returned from our stay on Isla Mujeras @ Casa Sirena. Had a wonderful time. Our stay at Casa Sirena was perfect. The rooms are beautiful and the staff is gracious and thoughtful of the guests every need. Steve, the owner goes out of his way to make sure your stay in his "home" is relaxing, comfortable and fun. He has thought of everything - but is relaxed in his presentation and allows guests to take it at their own pace. He knows the island very well - and apparently everyone on the island knows him and speaks highly of him. He arranged for a day trip with Isla Contoy for us - it was a highlight and I would highly recommend a trip to the beautiful island if you have time. Highlights of the stay at Casa Sirena include - Steve (he has found his calling at Casa Sirena), Happy Hours - margaritas, wonderful mexican breakfasts - something delicious every day, the towel/flower presentation on the beds and the marble bathrooms. The original tiles still exist in many rooms and the artwork is beautiful. The house is located in the heart of the neighborhood so you really get a feel for the Island Culture - there is a traditional ice cream store on the corner that we visited daily. At the end of most days my husband and I would sit in the pool on the roof-top and enjoy the sunset and ocean views - by the way you have a 360 view of the water from the roof and can see water from every room. We loved the fact that we were in the middle of the town - and could walk to everything. We also loved the relaxed enviroment and authentic feel. We are planning our next visit.

1  Thank chicagoerinChicago
Reviewed 21 October 2007

No doubt, this place is nice to look at, but sometimes nice looking things are lethal. I've read the reviews on this site and can only guess that most of these people are actually a) from Minnesota (where the owner is from) or b) the owner's friends. I think if you fit one of these categories he may not readily exhibit his psychotic behavior.

Upon check-in, he made us read the rules out loud ONE BY ONE with him, despite the fact that we were exhausted. During our stay, he yelled at us for various things such as opening the balcony door, tipping the maid (he wants all tips to go through him). There were so many other trivial things that we (two PhD professionals) got in trouble for, that I got so stressed out, I hid from him every time he came near and had to let my poor boyfriend deal with him.

Later, at night, it was like, well, day and night. He got staggering drunk and then everything was wonderful! I'm a psychologist from California and in trying to gain some insight into this nightmare, have come up w/3 options: perhaps he doesn't like Northern Californians, he's got a drinking problem, or perhaps he doesn't like straight, intelligent young people. In any case, I felt that by staying here I endangered my life.

I have to say also, that overall Isla sure isn't what it used to be. I like luxury travel, but I also like non-commercial travel that isn't about how many margaritas you can drink. I felt like I was in Minnesota most of time.

• Stayed: March 2007, travelled as a couple
23  Thank evertreker
SirenaSteve, Owner at Casa Sirena Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 30 October 2007

I wish to apologize for your "life-endangering" experience at Casa Sirena. (But I am kind of fond of the "Beauty matched by insanity" headline :)

I am committed to providing an exellent vacation experience for my guests. The other reviews on Trip Advisor are a testimonial to a measure of my succcess. Re-read these and you will find that many reviews are from California, a few are from Minnesota, the vast majority are from intelligent, young straight couples, and ALL are from friends, most of whom I have had the pleasure of meeting in my capacity as innkeeper.

Reviewed 19 October 2007

I have recently returned from a week at Casa Sirena. I was with 6 of my high school classmates (46th Reunion). We rented the entire B & B and that was a great choice. We were free to do as we please and didn't have to worry about disturbing other guests.

Steve does a fantastic job of welcoming his guests, his staff does a great job of keeping the place up and oh those surprises on the bed each day. Have never seen anything like that before.

Breakfast was a daily feast, Happy Hour was really a treat. Steve is a Jack of all trades, with drinks to please, conversation to inform and a delight to visit with.

Isla Mujeres is a paradise; with shops, restaurants, beautiful beaches, friendly people, and the sunrise and sunset views from the rooftop at Casa Sirena are very special.

We enjoyed a shopping trip to Cancun, the Mercado. We did a day tour to Xel Ha and Tulum. Well worth the price and time.

I hope to return! Thank you Steve!

Stayed: October 2007
Reviewed 14 October 2007

This is our second stay at Casa Sirena and it gets better each time. We were first vacationing on Isla Mujeres in June 2007 and found Steve and his staff to be gracious and wonderful. Casa Sirena is a beautiful B & B; the Mexican breakfasts alone are enough incentive to stay here; not to mention the lively happy hours that often extend into the night. We returned to get married on Isla Mujeres this time. Steve was wonderful in planning a cocktail party for our guests; the drinks and food were delicious. He was also very helpful with little details related to the wedding. He even surprised us with a bottle of champagne to celebrate. Some of our wedding guests also stayed at Casa Sirena and could not stop raving about it and this beautiful island of Isla Mujeres. We hope to return for our first anniversary and many more to come!

4  Thank Mojobi
Reviewed 3 October 2007

Have you ever awaken at dawn, run up to the rooftop to catch the sunrise? Have you done so on a tiny island, slowly turning in a circle and seeing the ocean all around you?

Every morning, I can't wait to run up to that rooftop here on Isla Mujeres. My rooftop complete with pool, bar and seating, of course is not mine. It is 'Casa Sirena' with the beautiful vistas.

If you wake early you can even have coffee with the owner, Steve. He will tell you stories of the Island and of Casa Sirena as he awaits the arrival of his chef.

Breakfast (9-11) by his famous chef is an experience you will not forget. Something different each day with island flavors and handsomely served.

The rooms are made for relaxation with original tile floors, french doors and windows and lovely stone bathrooms. Rose petals on my bed each day with swan towels made my stay even better.

Happy Hour each evening with Steve, hotel quests and visiting neighbors are delightful. We call it 'Sunset for the Fun Set'. It is much like being in someone's home with many friends......there are no strangers at 'Casa Sirena'.

If you are searching for an impeccably clean, beautiful B&B centrally located and only two blocks from white sandy beachs with turquoise waters then 'Casa SIrena' should be your home away from home.

• Stayed: September 2007, travelled solo