“Paradise Found!”

Isla Mujeres Palace
Ranked #1 of 37 Hotels in Isla Mujeres
Reviewed 6 June 2014

We just returned from a 7 day trip to the Palace on Isla Mujeres. The resort staff welcomed us with cool drinks and citrus infused wash cloths to cool off with. We had a few days of sun and fun and a few days of clouds and some rain, the rain did not hinder our fun. It was extremely peaceful and relaxing.

Service: The staff was extremely friendly and always accomodating. Although everyone we encountered provided excellent customer service, there was some true standouts: Francisco (waiter & our personal photographer), Jose (entertainment) and all of the pool bartenders! I want to thank Cinthia (front desk) for going out of her way when our flight was moved up. She help to orchastrate our return to Cancun, via the yacht, and ensured a taxi would be waiting to get us to the airport on time. She and the captain of the yacht, went above and beyond to ensure we didn't miss our plane. Each and everyone enhanced a truely memorable vacation.

Value: Not only is the resort "all inclusive", we were provided $1,500 credit towards excursions. It is an exceptional value for the money!

Sleep/Room Quality: The rooms are light, airy and very comfortable. Our room was filled with CHI products, but others were stocked with Ferkai. Each room has a CHI hair dryer and curling iron.

Cleanliness: One of the cleanest resorts, I've ever been to. The staff works tirelessly to keep the resort and the beach front clean. During our stay, it rained; the staff spent a lot of time ensuring the tiles were clean and dry, so guests wouldn't slip and fall.

Location: This is my second trip to Isla Mujeres. I find the island to be similar to old world Mexico, prior to all the big box stores came to Mexico. We rented golf carts for the week and explored several facets of the island. Downtown has great shopping, resturaunts and bars. North Beach provideds the sandy beaches many other reviewers comment on.

Food: I was not expecting much variety from the food after reading other reviews. I was pleasantly surprised to find the opposite. Although the theme of Mexican and Italian is there, we never had the same menu twice. Everything we had was exceptional. If you wanted something else, the chef was pleased to accomodate. Everynight the chef would greet us at our table to ensure we were happy with our selections.

We chose not to leave the island, so we tried to spend our $1,500 in credits at the hotel and the local establishments:
ROMANTIC DINNER: The meal was excellent; they served champagne, filet mingon and chocolate cake that was to die for. I expected lobster with my surf & turf for the cost of the meal, but instead was served extremely large prawns. Since the hotel is small and quaint, the setting was not very private as there were several other couples seated near us.
SPA: The spa was small and quaint in comparison to the one at the Moon Palace, yet they still provided exceptional services.
DOLFINS: You cant beat the location; it is very close to the resort. Swimming with the dolfins was far better on the Isla side than the Cancun side because the interaction takes place in the ocean, not a pool.
SNORKLING: Although we scheduled this excursion, it was cancelled due to storms. Our friends were able to go and enjoyed it very much.

Room Tip: Several people recommend that you don't stay in the ocean view rooms due to the loud party music...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
7  Thank Pnorton1
Patricia H, Gerente at Isla Mujeres Palace, responded to this reviewResponded 20 June 2014

Dear Pnorton1:

Thank you very much for so detailed and delicate description of amenities.

All our staff are pleased to know that you have taken fond memories of your vacation.

I guarantee Francisco, Jose, Cynthia and Chef José Ramón will know of your appreciation.

We wish you the best ..and we invite you to come back soon.

Reviewed 5 June 2014

When I go to Mexico it's all about the beach but at this resort the water is full of sea grass or something so you absolutely cannot swim. We had to travel to North Beach, about 4 miles away to experience swimming in the ocean. The food was really bad, no Mexican food if you can believe that! Now the NOT bad part. It was really fun playing volley ball in the pool one day. Jose the activities guy is an absolute class act. He is utterly laid back, genuine, and adorable in every way. Somedays they played awesome music around the pool-never Mexican music (worked for me). The entertainment was fun and quite good. Nice little gym which I loved. Met lots of cool people. But the beach, the beach, the beach :(

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank bullfrog20
Patricia H, Gerente at Isla Mujeres Palace, responded to this reviewResponded 18 June 2014

Dear Bullfrog20:

Good afternoon from Isla Mujeres

I give you my sincere thanks. Your feedback helps us improve our proposal of food in the menu.

Jose will receive full credit in their work by the recognition that you have described.

Every day we work on cleaning the beach, but sometimes nature gives us challenges depending on weather conditions.

We are also very pleased to hear that you enjoy activities and spaces of Isla Mujeres Palace.

We would love to have you back with us and give us a chance to surprise you.

Reviewed 3 June 2014

We want to start off by thanking the staff for an unforgettable wedding, vacation & honeymoon. From the time we stepped on the resorts private yacht our dream wedding & honeymoon became a reality. Thank you all for the lifetime of memories and smiles.
The yacht ride to the island was amazing, the warm ocean breeze to friendly staff aboard snapping pictures. When we arrived at the resorts private dock, the bell boy was there to greet us & unload our bags from the boat. The captain went as far as to carry my wife's wedding dress to the concierge desk so we could take in the wonderful view of the resort. We were greeted with a cold cloth & a refreshing beverage while checking in. The room, tub & patio are large with tasteful finishes & a wet bar. The bed is like sleeping on a cloud & my wife hasn't slept that well in 5 years. We're not much for the party scene of Cancun or Cabo so this resort fit us well. The pool side bar was a nice place to unwind & meet wonderful people from across the globe. Playing volleyball in the pool was GREAT. By the end of the day, 3/4 of the hotel guest were in the pool having a good time. Thanks Jose for getting the pool party started right. As our wedding day approached, the stress level was very minimal thanks to the detailed staff & wedding coordinator. Our wedding was on the beach with beautiful breathtaking views of the sea. Just how we imagined our special day. We were on "island time" our entire honeymoon! The dinner menu had much to choose from & the presentation of the plates were out of this world. Something that you wouldn't normally see in Mexico. It was like we were dining at a 5 star restaurant every evening. I recommend the filet mignon, it's like eating a piece of heaven. If you like the party scene or a large resort, then this place is not for you. It's about the loved one on your arm, the culture that surrounds the island & the great groups of people you meet. Nothing but relaxation from start to finish.
Thanks again to the staff & guests for making our wedding & honeymoon a memorable & fun experience. Hope to see you soon.

Ben & Katie

Room Tip: We stayed in a ocean view room with great views but our friend stayed in a pool view room which was...
1  Thank Ben B
Patricia H, Gerente at Isla Mujeres Palace, responded to this reviewResponded 17 June 2014

Dear Ben B:

It's been a pleasure reading your beautiful comments.

Isla Mujeres Palace is proud to have been part of such an important event, "Your Wedding".
We wish you all the happiness in the world.
It will be an honor to celebrate with you again, come back soon.

Reviewed 3 June 2014

I would like to start this review with an apology, to Mawe at the front desk, the twins Alejandro and Christian and Dario the bartender, sorry about the review, it has nothing to do with you, in the middle of all the surrealism you guys always seemed to be the only ones willing to go out of your way to deliver the best service.
Justice made, let's review the IMP.
We rented from an Elite member for 2 weeks, we could have chosen any other of the Palace properties but because this was our first holiday in 3 years and we needed to relax above it all we opted for a smaller property looking for the isolation and quietness the place offers.
Of course we were counting (logically) with the same quality the other resorts of the chain offer, we knew we were compromising on the beach and restaurant variety, but that was about it, (and it should be).
Decisive factor for the choice was the fact of the resort having it's own private yacht to pick you up in Cancun and take you to Isla Mujeres and the other way around when you leave.
I would like to to be as organized in my writing as other fellow reviewers and divide it in pros and cons, but it's not possible, this resort it's like two face's coin, for something good seems to be always a consequence, other side of the deal.
We stayed 2 weeks, from April 27th to May 11th, we also got married religiously here (if the review was only for the wedding we would give it 5, because it's not, they got a 2 instead of a 1).
We arrived in Cancun and found our transfer representative outside easily, he checked my name in the list and all was well, told us to wait as he was going to get the car, and here we go, it starts here... We waited more than 20 mn in this tropical rain, with our 6 pieces of luggage , finally he comes back to us and informed that there was a problem as we arrived too late (5pm) and the yacht was already gone without us. This, I confess, conditioned the whole vacation and the perception of this resort for me, I will explain why ahead.
I told him that the only reason why we decided to go to IMP was the private yacht due to our heavy luggage (wedding suit and dress plus other props and the rest of things for 2 weeks) and this was unacceptable, he responded that he couldn't do anything as they are just contracted by Palace Resorts and have no responsibilities when it comes to the property boat. So he gave us tickets to the regular ferry at Ultramar, plus another taxi voucher and told us once at Isla Mujeres, there would be a red taxi from his company waiting for us, and all we had to do was showing that voucher and the driver would take care of us.
Absolutely impotent to do anything about this, and after 7 hours of leaving home, we hopped on the van and were taken to the ultramar ferry station.
The driver took our suitcases out and was about to leave, without even care anymore when I asked him who was going to help us with all the luggage, he made a gesture like he didn't understand me and I started speaking in Spanish, he seemed very frustrated and after looking around signaled this boy (sort of a free lancer bellboy) with a trolley for luggage, the kid came and before we could even put the last carry on on the trolley the driver was gone.
This kid took our bags down the ramp to the boat, passed through this area that seemed to be reserved for them, and told me to go to the line as he was going ahead and put everything on board. There should have been around 70 to 100 ppl in the line to the 6pm ferry, I was in a strange place, dependent on strangers, my holiday was starting under one of the most stressful situations I ever found myself in... I told my wife to go to the line and kept watching this kid (lovely person btw, ended up tipping him 10 dollars, so relieved I was) just to make sure everything was really going on board.
We chose to stay on the top of the ferry, outside, the ride is 30mn and I must say it is beautiful, the other passengers were in their majority locals, commuting after work or going to work.
As we are coming out of the boat, it was them, the locals who helped us carry everything (I can't say enough about the wonderful people from Isla Mujeres, they are just amazing) , another man came with a bike adapted to carry luggage and asked if we wanted help, I accepted, he carried everything and asked where we were going, when I told him there should be a red taxi waiting for us outside he laughed and told me all the taxis were red in Isla Mujeres, regardless we went down the peer, reached outside and looked for a traffic tours representative, of course there wasn't anyone there, I looked at my voucher again and it was nothing more than a normal taxi voucher, so the taxi driver could collect his money later.
Again, here we were at the hands of strangers, lucky enough, kind ones, but at that time it didn't make it any easier, maybe because I was speaking Spanish to everybody (thank you grand mother) the man understood I was really stressed out and told me not to worry, to go to the taxi line and wait, he also made sure he was always under my sight so I could see my things.
The confusion for a taxi at that place is absolutely surreal, they fill taxis with the locals until 4 are inside, even if they don't know each other and are not going to the same places, we waited 30 to 45 mn for our turn, when it finally came, the guy with the bike started putting the suitcases in the back, and of course the taxi was too small for it. The driver decided to ride with an open trunk, and when I asked him if this was safe, and the luggage could fall, he told me that if it felt, we would stop and pick it up (looking now back I am kinda smiling, but that moment I almost snapped and my wife was on the verge of tears).
We finally arrived at Isla Mujeres Palace, almost 8pm, we are exhausted, fuming, sweaty, smelly and absolutely revolted.
There is no bellboy in sight for a start, so here we are again carrying everything to the front desk.
Cinthya (spelling might be wrong, but this is the name) was our host, I asked her immediately why couldn't the boat wait for us, first she acted like surprised, but when I insisted she told me we arrived way to late and the yacht only waits until a certain time in the afternoon. I asked her if that shouldn't be informed in advance, so one could either chose other resort or try a different flight. Not even a smile I got from this woman, much less an apology, I also read everyone in here saying as they were greeted with a towel and a drink, well, not for us, I guess we arrived way too late.
Also, no trip planner, no resort credit explanation, no honeymoon package arrangements, zero, nada, niente... We were lucky the bell boy showed up and put everything on his trolley to take us to our room (later I found out he was no bell boy, his name is Mawe and he belongs to the front desk).
The room is really good, actually, the pictures don't make it justice, we got a concierge room ocean view (in this resort the ocean front is reserved for diamond members) and it is much larger than it seems on the pictures.
The double Jacuzzi is great and the balcony is big with a lovely view.
Top shelf liquor in the room, a well stocked mini fridge, some snacks, coffee maker, etc
Double Vanity in the bathroom, indoor mayan shower, everything's perfect.
That night we ordered room service, way too tired, food was good, but here is an advice, always order the double or triple because the portions are small, fajitas for instance, instead of 2, order 8 and you'll be ok.
Next day I went down, booked our mani and pedi (included when renting from a member) for later that day, told Pilar from the concierge desk I didn't want to go to Beach Palace for the timeshare presentation (she is really nice and won't push you more, plus she has good advice and suggestions about the Island) and when I inquired about my 2 free tours (also included when renting from Elite members) I was told only the Nautibus and the snorkel one were in the package, this was really non sense as we should have at least 7 or 8 to chose from, but the other girl told me that at IMP the member tours included are just those 2.
Received a phone call from our wedding coordinator that stays at Beach Palace (amazing person, Mr. Mario Yham, thank you for everything), he asked me if I was already given our honeymoon package, I said nobody even approached us and they didn't even seem to know we had a wedding in 24 hrs. He told me to go to the front desk and talk to them.
And so I did, and booked our dinner in the beach and requested our mini cake and champagne and our 2 t-shirts, I ended up never getting anything, the romantic dinner for reasons I will explain ahead, the rest because they simply never delivered and I was already tired of fighting tooth and nail for everything, the lack of communication between departments is absolutely appalling, nobody seems to know about anything, even inside the same departments, people will give you different information about the same things if you ask them more than once about it to two different members of the staff.
Buffet breakfast is alright, you have an omelet station with a chef, just ask him whatever you want and he will make it for you, I just don't understand why is the same chef the guardian of the bacon, I mean, if you want bacon you have to go to him, and if you stick to the portion he gives you and don't ask more, you'll be walking away with no more than 2 stripes, I know it sounds stupid but it's true, there is no bacon at the buffet, you have to ask for it at the omelet station. Also, no waffles at the buffet but you can order them through room service which makes no sense. The bread is the worst in this resort, I counted at maximum 3 varieties in the 14 days I was there, and not all at the same time, but that wasn't the worst, the worst was that regardless of the type it was either frozen and not well defrosted or several days old, it was like a rock, or soggy or half / half, never good, and not only at breakfast, any other meal was the same, the only good bread was coming in the hamburgers from room service.
There was only 2 juices, orange or pineapple, any other flavor you might want, would be juice box and from a very low quality.
We started having breakfast in the room everyday after that, it wasn't worthy to waste time going there as you could order the omelets or any kind of eggs to your room and waffles and french toast (very good) as well.
Lunch is buffet, again, another surreal experience, you enter the restaurant, they ask you for your room number, the hostess takes you to the table of your choice, a waiter comes and introduces himself, asks what you want to drink, you order, then he tells you the lunch is buffet and for you to go and serve yourself, you go and do it, when you're on your way back he comes, takes the plate out of your hands and carries it to your table, I mean, I understand the concept and the idea of good service, but they are understaffed and while doing this, they are short of staff at the pool bar or at the other bar next to the restaurant.
The buffet for lunch is very poor, the variety is inadequate specially because they only have one restaurant and should have more different things, but above it all, the food is bad, I am not saying inedible, it's just bad, tasteless, bland, everything tastes the same, in 14 days there, only one variety of fish we saw, hake and hake and more hake, no sea bass, no cod, nothing, hake with garlic cream, grilled hake, hake tacos, you name it... and always bland.
No shrimp, mussels or other sea food at the lunch buffet, I was able to eat mussels by taking them all out of a sea food stew thing they had, and every other day I would see that dish there, I would do it, because the dish itself was really bad.
Sidings were sparse and repetitive, rice, some sort of sweet potatoes cooked differently and of course, everything was really sub par, they could present the rice the way they wanted it was always soggy, one day it said it was "Portuguese Rice" I was intrigued as I am Portuguese and never heard of it, so I tried it and it was rice with some sort of fish or seafood sauce, giving it a red tone, it was so gross I felt like vomiting, consistency was like your oatmeal in the morning, but large chunks of rice would stick to your teeth like some sort of tooth paste.
So, we stopped caring about lunch after a couple of days, there was also little salads, 2 or 3 varieties, in little cups, this resort has the little cup obsession, even the guacamole comes in little 2oz cups, it's insane, same for the ceviche...
They also have a little corner of the buffet, where everyday you can find the same Asian items, tempura onion rings and tempura broccoli, my wife tried the tempura broccoli once and the doe was raw, oozing from the inside, disgusting.
There are some desserts, they all look good, but they all taste the same, bland, uninteresting, dull.
And the dinner, the dinner is a la carte, they say, but once every week, they decide to have a show by night and they slide a note under your room's door informing the a la carte is now changed to buffet due to the Broadway show or Caribbean show (we'll never know why, because then they force you to eat inside, under the big palapa and it's really hot).
A la carte you chose Mexican (Caribbean) or Italian, regardless, it's all bad, I had shrimp (only way you get shrimp at this resort is a la carte) flambe in zambuca once, and it was so bad I sent it back, and the craziness is that it comes in the utmost gourmet presentation and it seems delicious, but it's so dull and bland you'll find yourself running to your room to order room service, also, the service, well, understand this, one passes the day either at the beach or at the pool, goes to the room, decides to go down for dinner, takes a shower, chooses some clothing, in the ladies case, some shoes, probably some makeup, and hair do, you arrive down there, the waiter comes, makes you order appetizers, entree and wine all at the same time. Then you are eating, and here he/she comes, asking if you're done and they can remove the plate, one of the times my wife was talking to me she didn't listen to him, and he ended up taking her plate of appetizer without her even eating half of it, and when they take your first plate, they already have your entree with them to serve you, this is not good service, this is rushing people, when it comes to it you lost around one hour getting ready for dinner (or more) and the whole thing is over in like 20 or 30 mn.
One night, trying to prevent this, I told the waitress we were going to chose one thing at a time, that gave us the worst service we ever got in our lives, as she got really upset about it (her name was Andrea or Adriana, I can't recall now) and she gave us the attitude for more than one hour, add to that the bad food as usual and it was just horrible the whole experience, I ended up telling her that not only she needed to tell the chef everything was awful, but she was also giving us a very bad and stressful service, things got even more awkward when she appears into our room to deliver the room service dinner we had to order after, later that night.
With resort credits we booked the chef's dinner (yes, I am stupid) 5 or 6 course dinner where the soup was the highlight, no joke, no wine pairing as they do at the other Palace resorts, they do it in the 1st floor lounge, no A/C so it's like a mini sauna, and to end in a high note, they hold the dessert hostage to give you a sort of illusionist show that we of course didn't endure, as we just left and went for some room service, the only reliable source of food in the resort.
Beware, in this resort, the food that isn't bland and tasteless will be so spicy and hot that will turn inedible, no lie, be careful with seafood dishes, the majority will give you a good instant sauna and a hard time.
After this, and even with the free dinner on the beach booked, we never showed up, there was no point, we spent our day in the beach and ordered room service.
The room service, this is the best place to have meals, I mean, it has it's problems, like bringing you coffee without cups and spoons, always missing one to three of the things you ordered, bringing you the drinks and bread but forgetting the main dish (honest). But the food, is good, I think because the menu is much simpler and it's not gourmet wannabe they end up doing a good job, of course the choices are limited and some of them can't be ordered after 10 pm, but if it wasn't for room service we would have starved, no word of a lie.
The pool has a bar with a grill and a pizza oven, they also make some hamburgers there, the pizza has the thinnest crust I've ever seen, if that is your thing you'll love it, also, you can ask the chef to cook it anyway you want it, he made one without cheese for my wife and she chose whatever toppings she wanted, it's ok. I just don't understand why they don't grill fish there, if you ask for grilled fish, they go inside and ask at the restaurant chef.
The Bars- The drinks are watered down, which in a place of this caliber I find outrageous, so always ask for your cocktail of choice requesting the alcohol from top shelf, ie Cuba Libre with Bacardi rum, Jack Daniels instead of bourbon, etc, if you don't know what kind of booze your favorite cocktail has into it, ask for the cocktail list and check it out.
The service, well I started by thanking the ones that stand out, the rest it's hit and miss, some days you'll get service by the pool all day, some days you'll have someone coming when they can, like every 2 hrs or something.
At the beach, depends on your bracelet, if you are not VIP or Diamond, forget about it, we had VIP bracelets, if we would stay in the VIP chairs we would have someone every now and then, the staff is all over the place, one day we were at the VIP area at the beach all day and nobody would come, all of a sudden it starts raining and seconds later there were 3 staff members covering the beach beds reserved for diamond members so it wouldn't get wet.
Everybody has to work in every section, there's no distinctions, you have the guy who just bar tended you at the pool delivering you room service a couple hours later, the only steady positions seem to be the housekeeping ladies. The general standard is a team of very motivated people, but lacking etiquette, and above it all really in need of more train.
Of the 14 days we only got turn down service twice and the little petit fours are given to you if you are in the room, they knock and if nobody answers, too bad, no petit fours for you, the mini bar is restocked daily, but they will be knocking at your door around 9.30 am to do it, so forget about sleeping in, and if you don't answer, forget about the restocking as well.
They chase the tip which is normal, but sometimes it can go a little too far, one night we were at the lounge bar, we were 3 or 4 couples and it was around 11 pm, the bar is supposed to close at midnight, but the bartender was obviously annoyed because he is allowed to close before if nobody's there, he was serving everybody with a certain attitude and at a certain point he just vanished, we wanted more drinks and he was nowhere to be found, we approached one his colleagues and asked for him, he came back absolutely fuming a few minutes later, as I gave him 2 dollars his mood changed immediately, the other people there saw it and started tipping as well, he ended up staying almost until 1 am.
Also, it is normal to find groups of them gathering at certain spots talking loud and laughing, I speak Spanish and they are not saying anything bad, it's just unprofessional and sometimes as they are doing that, there is someone somewhere waiting. The only one who likes to try a few jokes in Spanish is Hector, he didn't do it to us as he knew I could understand, but I heard him bad mouthing a couple of people, you'll notice is goofy way and demeanor.
The front desk is a nightmare, Cinthya has to be the worst front desk agent I ever came in contact with, she is on the verge of evil and seems to have a sort of wicked pleasure in denying you things and using the word no.
After a couple of contacts with her I avoided front desk on her shifts, anything you need, go to Mawe, a truly professional with a sense of customer service. For logistic reasons, the member we rented from asked us to make 2 reservations, one for each week, on the 3rd day of being there I went to Cinthya and inquired if we needed a new check in for the 2nd week, as we had 2 reservations, she told me, that not only we needed a new check in, as we were going to change rooms, as the 2nd reservation was not concierge level and if we wanted to keep that room we would have to pay $50 a night. I told her no problem, we would change (here we go packing again) and really didn't understand what was her problem as we payed the same amount for each week, but I was already at the point that I couldn't fight anymore, I needed to relax, this was my holiday. Next day I go there and Mawe is working, I tell him I want to close my weekly bill as Cinthya told me we have to change rooms and make a new check in, he asks me to wait a couple of minutes, pulls our reservation on the system, merges it, and tells us everything is settled, we don't need to change rooms, no new check in and no surcharges... I rest my case.
Checking out on the last day, with the boat waiting for us and the other couple and our things already inside waiting for us, we had to wait almost 20 minutes because she was selling tours for the following day to another couple, instead of asking them to wait 3 mn to close our bill and collect...
This is a very long review, and you might think we're picky or have a chip in our shoulder but it's not the case, it's just a lot of bad things and you pay a small fortune to be here, so you need to put things in perspective, it was the 1 st time in Mexico for me, but this was my wife's 7th visit to the Cancun area and she stills swears to me that the food at Riu was way better and much more variety, the price difference from Palace to Riu in this case was almost $1700.
And let's not even talk about the shows, it's not really important to us, but the Broadway show was embarrassing, imagine the Mexican Glee's rejects, they were so bad and amateur that we felt so bad for them it made us uncomfortable and we ended up eating and left without dessert, the aquatic show we watched from our balcony, was actually pretty cool, until one of the rejects shows up again out of nowhere and out of context starts assassinating Sweet Child of Mine by Guns N' Roses in a way that we went inside and raised the tv sound at maximum volume.
On other occasion my wife is having her hair done for the wedding at the spa, the girl was very nervous and told her she had no experience in wedding hair do's which is crazy as your paying $170 for hair & makeup, while she is doing it, some other girl enters the room, she is doing inventory and at a certain point she starts reprimanding the other because there are products missing, all this while she is doing my wife's hair, of course she became so nervous, almost crying and my wife left and went to the room finishing the thing herself.
And the lack of logistic is insane, on the wedding day, they decide to replace the marble floor near the lobby elevator, they started at 9 am, and at 5 pm the bride had to go down the stairs and walk through all the pool area because the elevator was ruled out due to the repairs, they didn't even had the sensibility of booking it for another day and it was really awkward...
And on top of it all, we were told the yacht didn't wait for us because we arrived too late at the airport... During the 2 weeks I saw several times, people arriving through the boat service as late as 7.30PM, not once or twice, it was regular, I still wonder if they forgot about us and didn't care, that is absolutely revolting, and even if they provided the service for us to leave, while I was going back in the yacht I felt even more revolted because I was able to realize what we were denied, so please stop advertising the yacht service to lure people there when you don't even know what you're doing, because on top of everything, our flight was at 4 pm and we were forced to leave the resort at 11 am if we wanted the boat service, otherwise we would have to go the same way we had arrived, we ended up waiting in the airport more than 4 hrs, in an overcrowded place without air conditioning and sweating like pigs...
In resume, what you pay to stay here does not match at all what you get, everything is a hit and miss, the food is just way too bad (meanwhile we discovered the chef is new, you can notice him hanging around the resort with a red scarf around his neck to differentiate him from the other cooks) and I need to tell you Manager Daniel Manzanares, you are a very nice man, you know how to host, but you really need to dedicate more time supervising staff and training them, then interacting with people, and above it all, your new chef is one of the worst casting errors ever seen, I don't know if he was imposed to you by corporate or he was your choice, regardless, get rid of him.
I am not being harsh on the food, it's real, it's a huge problem, after reading this, just compare the food pictures here on TA from IMP with the other Palace resorts, you'll understand, let me tell you, the best meal we had in Mexico was at the airport, we had a couple of burgers at Johnny Rockets and it was like heaven.
Don't think though we are bitter or we had an horrible time, we didn't, we were together, and at a certain point we just decided not to worry anymore and made the best out of it, the beach is not perfect but was very nice under the palapas, if you want to go into the water, make sure to take water shoes, you'll be alright and won't feel the rocks and the sea grass (it's everywhere but one small clear spot. The pool is big and there's never fighting for a bed, by 4 pm it gets total shade and we really enjoyed it.
The place is relaxing and the atmosphere is great, but... It's not worth the money, go somewhere else cheaper or chose another Palace property, because except the LeBlanc, the prices are all the same, and here, maybe because they are isolated, they get away with a lot of stuff that I'm sure they wouldn't at any of the other resorts of the chain.

Room Tip: Get a concierge room, or you'll be looking into a swamp or the maintenance roofs of adjacent pro...
16  Thank Artur N
Patricia H, General Manager at Isla Mujeres Palace, responded to this reviewResponded 11 June 2014

Dear Incydoll,

We thank you for bringing this to our attention and it saddens us to hear about the service you received. We're very sorry you experienced this and we'd like to assure you that we have taken measures to avoid this from happening to other guests. We'd like to advise that you that towards the end of May, we completely revamped the menu at our restaurant in order to provide our guests with enhanced quality and a variety of food. We've also launched a themed tasting menu, in which depending on the day of the week, our guests will have the option to experience Asian, Mediterranean, Arabic, Peruvian, Spanish, Caribbean or Thai cuisine, in addition to what is being offered on our new dinner menu, which will vary every evening. We are also addressing the service issues you encountered with our staff and we are finding out what went wrong with your yacht pick-up. We understand how important vacations are, especially considering that you were also celebrating a very joyous occasion. We are sorry to have let you down, but you can be assured that we take this feedback very seriously and we will work harder to uphold our commitment of delivering the best services and amenities. We thank you for your time and our sincerest apologies.

Reviewed 1 June 2014

There were lots we loved about this resort and a few things we would have liked.
Positives:
~About 60 rooms - which means it was small and quaint. We love small resorts, so this was a selling point for us.
~Staff was VERY friendly and accommodating. Fast and efficient, from the bar - to the servers at lunch and dinner - do the front desk. Everything was great!
~We arranged for a shuttle and then went over on the boat - so nice to not have to hassle about transportation. The resort helped take care of this.
~My partner and I stayed in May, it was very quiet - which was nice!
~There wasn't a lot of nightlife or entertainment - we enjoy that since we like enjoying a glass of wine on the patio, listening to the waves at night.
~The resort was beautiful, kept up very good.
~We recommend the ocean front rooms instead of the pool for the view. You also have a mini fridge in there that is replenished daily.
~We loved the pool and the chairs. Everything was laid back, never had to go down early to get a spot since it was very quiet on the resort in May. Some chairs were in the water and some were out.
~We also were able to select from a pillow menu with the ocean front view rooms.
~Loved the rooms! And the air was great...not loud at all.

Cons:
~We didn't love the food selection. There is only one restaurant. Room service was good, and we did that probably half the time we were there. We do recommend the fish tacos for a snack during the day, with gauc. And also from the pool bar, we recommend the cheese burgers.
~The liquor selection for us wasn't great. They only have Dos Equis for beer and Absolut for vodka - and not a huge wine selection that we liked. They had barcardi if you like that.
~The beach had some weeds in there - so if you like swimming in the ocean, this isn't really the area. But there are beaches just 5 minutes away to go to.

Overall, we would definitely go back to this resort if we stayed on the island again.
You can also rent a golf cart for the day to get around the island - or a taxi to downtown is $6.

Room Tip: Ocean front on the second floor.
2  Thank Gina G

Dear Gina G:

Isla Mujeres Palace wants you to be excellent.

For us your feedback is a great contribution to the continuous improvement of our service. I would comment that we are working on our daily menus to give all our guests a diverse delight, we hope on your next visit you can enjoy our innovation.

It will be a pleasure to serve you again, again we want to say Welcome Home.

Reviewed 30 May 2014 via mobile

Nice hotel. Hall the staff were really personable & sweet, knew your name, etc and some seemed laissez faire (never rude though!). The food was pretty good. The special occasion dinners were phenomenal! (Romantic & chef dinners.) Arturo & TJ were great for the dives. We're experienced but they did great instructions & guiding for the newbies. Loved Chef, Bonito, both Joses, LuLu, Christian, Pedro & Fransisco. Great dives- lots to see. Warm waters, fun walks around the island, and not lifting a finger to get what you want... that's a vacation!

Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank intlgranolagirl

Dear Intlgranolagirl

Receive a warm greeting from Isla Mujeres.

First of all I thank you for the time you have dedicated to comment on Isla Mujeres Palace.

Our staff will be happy to know that your stay was enjoyable. Your comments are of great motivation.

Palace Resorts invites you to return to create unforgettable moments.

Reviewed 29 May 2014

We will definitely be going back! This place is spectacular, the best place I have ever been on the island. From the moment we arrived the staff went out of their way to make us comfortable and happy. The facilities are excellent, the beach is beautiful, rooms are top notch and the staff is terrific. We cannot say enough about the Palace. Do not be concerned with only having one restaurant, they kept the buffet and menu fresh and it was excellent food and service. We were never bored with all the activities, the beach, the pool and everything on the island. From Playa Norte to Punta Sur, the entire island is breathtaking. The colors, the people, we always felt very safe and enjoyed every moment. Take a moment and walk down the boardwalk on the east end of the Island. This is not traveled much by tourists but worth the walk. All the cab drivers, and vendors were great. This is not the party scene of Cancun or Cabo but more cultural and enjoyable. Not an American shop or restaurant on the island. You feel like you are on the other side of the world. We ended our trip with a Yacht ride provided by the resort. We got to know much of the staff and miss them already. We can't wait to go back and see them again. All I can say is Go!!!!

2  Thank AdamandDayna

Dear AdamadDayna,

Thank you very much for all your nice comments.
You're right. Isla Mujeres is a cultural place surrounded by beautiful nature.
For us, Isla Mujeres Palace hotel is a joy to know that you enjoy your holiday.
We would love you to come back soon and give us the pleasure of serving you again.

Patricia Herrera Santiago