“Pampered to Perfection”

Isla Mujeres Palace
Ranked #1 of 37 Hotels in Isla Mujeres
Reviewed 21 April 2010

My husband and I were guests here from April 9-16th (our 30th wedding anniversary celebration) and will cherish the memories we came home with - largely due to the hard working, dedicated staff at this beautiful resort. We were pampered like we were royalty and treated like family. We were in awe of their willingness & ability to make us feel so welcome. The food and drinks were delicious. The room was wonderful. The weather could have been better but we still had a fantastic week. To everyone at the Isla Mujere Palace Resort who made us so happy - Thank you so very much for the best, most memorable vacation ever. Brian & Cheryl

1  Thank cherid1

Reviewed 19 April 2010

Just got back from a 7 day stay at Palace Resort and what a week!! The staff was superior! We were waited on hand and foot. The food was great a cut above for a all inclusive. We ate out one night at a expensive restaurant and the food by far was better at the resort. Every staff member was a pleasure to be around and went to great lengths to accomadate our every needs. It was the most relaxing vacation I have been on. The island is so remote and true to mexican heritage. If you are looking for a non commercial area this is it! Our ocean view was one of a postcard- BEAUTIFUL! The beach was small but very clean and beautiful white sand. We never once had alot of guest their from other Palace Resorts taking up space like others had said. This is the smallest Palace Resort their is but remember this a small island. We had choice of room service all the time and it was wonderful! We got up every morning usually had breakfast on our terrace overlooking the ocean. The club next store to the property was of no problems either like some had said in fact it was only open a few nights and by 10:00 was over. If anything it added to the ambiance of the island feel! I have stayed at other Palace Resorts at Cancun and this one was better than those massive large ones! I have not one complaint what so ever. The staff should be commended for the dedication to the guests! The staff work 12 hour days their and are always happy and cheerful. I would without a doubt go back here for rest and relaxation! This hotel is the best hotel on the island. The room was clean and room service is wonderful- whatever you want they provide. OUTSTANDING PALACE RESORT!! Isla Mujeres is a beautiful island with great hospitality!!! If your have any doubts on this resort don't it is exceptional and you won't be disappointed!! Thank you Palace Resorts for a vacation to remember!!

3  Thank pilatesgal41
Reviewed 19 April 2010

My wife and I married in October 2009 and waited until April to go our on honeymoon. Once we settled on Isla Mujeres as our destination, our travel agent recommended the Palace resort on the island. We did some pretty extensive research (reading every review on here as well as other sites) before booking the trip. A few of the previous reviews worried me a bit (undercooked food, boats filled with day trippers, loud music next door). The reviews were, for the most part, fantastic so we decided to give it a chance.

From the moment the taxi dropped us off, the service was nothing less than spectacular! We really enjoyed the extra attention they provided. I think they can offer such great service because it is a small resort (only 60+ rooms). That's actually very small considering the size of the palace resorts in Cancun. The night bartender (Timoteo), the activities coordinator (Ulises), the manager (can't recall his name), the Hostess (Leandri), the gentlemen working the front desk (Jesus and another whose name escapes me). This people are a true asset to the resort and will make you feel welcomed every day of you trip.

The gift shops offers some nice gifts and we picked up a few t-shirts and other souvenirs. Even the cashier went out of her way. We purchased two shirts one night and a third t-shirt the next night. The first night we didn't qualify for the discounted rate (3 for $25) but when we bought the third, she remembered and discounted it for us. The savings wasn't much but this attention to detail and commitment to service is extraordinary.

The resort itself is beautiful. It isn't the best hotel I've stayed but it's close. They keep the place immaculate. It's an open air resort so it's nice to feel the breeze as walking through the lobby on the way to the restaurant or bar. The restaurant is large considering the size of the resort and offers in and outdoor seating. The resort has three bars (one in the bar area, one in the restaurant, and a third swim-up bar). The bartenders were all very knowledgeable and made fantastic drinks. I noticed that most of our drinks were a little light on the alcohol, however.

We ate at the restaurant (Azul) almost every meal but did make our way into town to try some of the local spots. I didn't have anything that was undercooked. The food itself wasn't great unfortunately. I've heard this of other all inclusive's so it isn't just an issue with IMP. I say that knowing that the island specialty is seafood and I don't eat seafood. So it's very possible that the seafood dishes are very good. Of the meals that I ordered, none were bad but none were great or even very good. Mediocre is probably a good way to describe it. This includes the spinach and cheese ravioli, margarita pizza, marco polo spaghetti, and the other entrees. My wife did say the steak was good. The food is my biggest complaint but if you've read the other reviews, most of the others disagree with me. The last day our stay, they switched breakfast to a buffet style which was nice. We also had room service a couple of times, which is available 24 hours). The mini hamburgers and cheese quesadilla's weren't bad. The desserts, and the chocolate cake in particular, were fanstastic!

As other have said, the pool area is small and the beach is not great but it looks beautiful. If you want to swim at the beach at the resort, go somewhere else. If this isn't a big deal to you, you can take a taxi or rent a golf cart) and go to Playa Norte which is one of the best municipal beaches in the world. It's about 15 minutes away.

The pool was well maintained but not used much while we stayed here. Unfortunately, a tropical storm came through on days two and three and it was overcast during much of our trip. We laid next to the pool on our last full day but didn't get a chance to really swim or use the palapa style swim-up bar. It always had someone their ready to make drinks even when it wasn't being utilized.

The rooms were great. They had a large two person jacuzzi, double sinks those they were positioned kind of low, a nice shower, great furniture, and our room looked over the pool. The beds and pillows were extremely comfortable. We had absolutely no trouble sleeping here.

We stayed from Monday through Saturday and didn't notice any day trippers coming from the other resorts. We did hear some music from the club next door (particularly on Monday and Tuesday) but it didn't bother us too much.

I'm not sure I would take kids here because there isn't much for them to do at the resort or even on the island but I would definitely recommend it for everyone else. I would encourage you to leave the resort and go explore the island (Centro, Punta Sur, and Playa Norte in particular). We have no regrets and would do it again despite the not so great weather!

1  Thank yman97
Reviewed 7 March 2010

I am writing this review from the airport -we have been at Isla Mujeres Palace all week. I read the reviews on this site after we booked our trip so I was a little concerned about a few of the things we read. We are Palace Premier members and have never had a bad experience at ANY of the Palace resorts, and this time was no different. The hotel and staff were excellent - couldn't have been better. For those who have read some of the negative reviews on this site:

1. There apparently used to be a problem with boats coming over from Cancun and those people taking up the beach, beach lounge chairs, being rowdy into the wee hours of the morning, etc.... however all of that has been resolved. The hotel staff confirmed that there were previous issues, but that they were addressed. We didn't have any problem the whole week we were here.

2. This is a very small hotel but it has everything you normally get at a Palace except only 1 restaurant that rotates the dinner menu every 2 days, and the spa services are limited. Food was great, massage was great, but they don't have all of the usual choices. Breakfast and lunch are buffet with a grill and dinner is from a menu. The town is small and "authentic" - nothing like Cancun or even Playa at this point.

Here are some suggestions for those planning to come here:
1. You can rent a golf cart and travel the whole island on your own. It costs about $50 usd for 24 hours. The boats with tourists come in in the morning and leave around 6 PM so sometimes they rent so many carts that there aren't any available if you try to rent one in the morning. Wait until they all leave & return their carts to rent one for 24 hours.
2. In town, the best shopping by far is after 6 PM and the closer you get to closing time, the better the deals are. We got some AWESOME deals on jewelry in town, just before closing time - they want one more sale for the day.
3. Even at the Palace, don't drink the water. I've made coffee with the tap water at the other Palaces, but don't do it here. Use bottled water for everything.
4. The turtle farm is walking distance but isn't much to write home about. Costs about 3 bucks / person to get in and it's a few big tanks with a bunch of turtles swimming in them.
5. Day trips to the other Palaces in Cancun are really easy - not a hassle at all. Worth visiting the other Palaces if you are a member and haven't seen them since the hurricanes. They all have beautiful beaches now.
6. A taxi to town (Isla Mujeres) is about 420 Pesos each way. Ferry to Cancun is about $7 usd each way. From the Ferry to Cancun Palace is about 200 Pesos. If you go visit the other Palaces, the hotel will pay for all of your transportation both ways.
7. Room 227 is great - has a view of the pool AND the ocean. It's close to everything and is on the top floor. I really think it was possibly the best view room there is.
8. Make sure to pack jackets and we had to buy bug spray for one night. There were a few mosquitos but we only noticed them one night.
9. My back hurt at the end of the week because the sinks and magnifying mirror (permanently attached to the bathroom counter) are Mayan-sized, so I was constantly bending over. If you're taller than 4' 8" you may want to bring a hand held magnifying mirror.
10. Phone calls to the US and wi-fi are free. I could've saved myself about $50 on a temporary upgrade to global on my verizon.

We will definitely go again and take family. It will be great if you're just wanting a quiet place to relax, and also great for a family - everything is so close (beach, food, pool, rooms, etc....) would be really easy to keep an eye on the kids while not even moving out of your chair.

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled as a couple
2  Thank jkmiller1983
Reviewed 3 March 2010

We just returned from a week at Palace Isla with our 7 year old daughter. Overall we had a great time and were sad to leave. We have stayed at several different all-inclusives in the Rivera Maya area previously and wanted to give Isla a try. This resort was built new from the ground up 2 years ago. One of the most recent reviews from a Chicago traveler was mostly true, so i wont cover that same stuff again. We were OK having the wedding party at the resort, there appeared to be about 40 of them. The only problem was that when they showed up for the a la carte dinner it slowed the kitchen down big time. The acoustics in the dining hall made the large group seem very loud. We go to bed early, but were not bothered by the music from the party. We had a standard room and the views and proximity were way better than I had expected. We stayed in room # 128, it was clean, modern, quiet, and had a pool / "partial ocean" view. I was glad we didnt pay extra for an upgrade on the room. We werent exactly in a hurry though so no big deal. The buffet food was kinda wierd at times especially during lunch, I think it is was just mostly some local dishes that werent familiar to me and in some cases not terribly appealing. HOWEVER ... Due to the awesome staff at this resort they would make me anything I asked for and prepared it fresh at the grill right in front of me, and I would do the rest at the salad bar. I had a bacon guac cheeseburger with fries one day, that was to die for. Shrimp, chicken, or beef tacos, omlettes, and huevos rancheras! and about anything you want. The a la carte dinners were mostly excellent. The mixed grill was especially good and so was most everything else. I was VERY impressed with the wine selection. They would pour you a glass and then leave the bottle on the table. There was also a nice bottle in the room when we arrived. The entertainment was very good and low key. We loved the fire dance, and mexican dance night. The pool and beach activities were very fun for the whole family and there was no obnoxious microphone guy. The activities were mostly handled by Ulises and he was very very good with the kids. The beach and pool areas are small but adequate, there are plenty of other beaches, parks and attractions nearby. The reef here is covered in sea grass and snorkeling isnt the greatest. There are lots of fish to see over near the peir. There are other good snorkel beaches nearby. I am giving this hotel a high rating because I they seem to be headed in the right direction and have potential to be the best A-I on the island.

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled with family
1  Thank cshel08
Reviewed 2 March 2010

just got back from the Palace after a 5 day stay.

ill give you all my positives first:

the people are great. they go out of their way to be of service to you and are very friendly even when the requests are something they cant do.
the rooms are good size and its nice to have a private jacuzzi tub in your room
the food was really good. not once did i have something i sent back or got sick off of. for dinner try the rack of lamb or ribeye. both were excellent. also the tacos they make you for lunch and omelettes are great!
they keep the drinks flowing and they are very strong. the service out near the pool is good as they have a couple of people walking around the pool beach area making sure you are fine.
the beach is good enough size for the number of guests they have there.
the resort itself is very quiet and relaxing as its away from any major road or traffic
$5 USD cab ride downtown each way.

some small (maybe nitpicky) negatives

no swim up bar set up. everyday we were all out by the pool with no swim up bar set up. what is the point of having a swim up bar and not having anyone man it.
the shower is very poorly designed. make sure when you take a shower you put two towels up against it or you will have a pool of water awaiting you. the doors are glass and they dont go all the way down to the floor or the wall.
deluxe room is going to get you a view of nothing. we thought we would have a decent view but we were in the back of the resort, we asked to get moved but told they were sold out. since the dining rooms were 1/4 filled each night i think we got snubbed there, but oh well
housekeeping comes at 9am. sorry, thats a little early for me. also, they say they come everyday to restock your fridge for you. the girl came by the first day, we told her we were fine and to come back later. she didnt come back at all the rest of the time we were there.
if you are going to have a wedding there you should know that if you have a DJ they will make you stop the wedding at 10pm due to resort noise issues. also, the dinner that they set up took 3 hours and left 30 minutes for dancing. quite a few pissed off people at that.
you cant really swim at the beach. swimming area is very small and alot of seaweed. the pool is very chilly but was nice and refreshing.

i believe some of the negative things i listed are because the resort is still fairly new and they are growing into themselves. by no means should you NOT go here, but just go in with eyes wide open on a few things.

a couple of helpful hints: after they make you a mixed drink take a couple of sips then top it off with some juice or whatever. you will thank me in the morning. tip the wait staff and bartenders...it goes a long way. dont go here expecting a loud time. its a very laid back place. bring lots of singles and 5 dollar bills. when using the jacuzzi tub only use 1/4 of the bottle of bubbles they give you. if you use anymore than that you will not be able to see the person next to you. if you order room service for breakfast everytime you check off sausage or bacon they will give you a full american breakfast.

overall, would i go back. probably not, but its a very nice resort, with very nice people and its one of the better spots on the island. it has to be one of the more expensive options on the island and for that, i think there is better value at another resort.

ONE LAST THING: The bartender at the lobby bar who mainly works nights. His name is Timeteo. Please treat him right. he was a shining star of service at the resort and went out of his way everytime you were in the area to remember your name, your drink and have one ready for you in no time. we tipped him nicely at the end and i know it was appreciated! everyone in our group raved about him and its well deserved.

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Dcl1973
Reviewed 27 February 2010

We just returned from our trip last night. I picked this resort because of everything that was included in the price (trips, food, drink, visit other resorts, etc.) and the fact that it was away from Cancun and all the commotion. We didn't leave the resort and explore like we usually do when we are on vacation. I had wanted to rent a golf cart but after the wild ride in the taxi from the ferry to the resort, thought it better to stay put. It's a bit of a logistics feat to get on and off the island. From Cancun airport, we traveled via shuttle to the hotel zone and dropped off some passengers. We then were taken to the ferry, waited a few minutes and took about a 20 minute ride to the island. From there we took a hair-raising ride in a taxi, about 10 minutes to the resort. Our driver was passing golf carts, mopeds, scooters, etc.

I want to thank the activities staff for making our visit very pleasurable. We played beach volleyball, I sung Karoake for the first time and learned to Salsa. Loved that Chris Isaak song from a gentleman I knicknamed Canadian Idol. The fire dancers were great too. We were taken on a walk on the beach to the Turtle Farm for $3 per person. That was a great informative tour.

Food-no problems there. I have a sensitive stomach too. We tried the room service for breakfast, lunch and dinner and thoroughly enjoyed it. I did notice someone using a temperature sensor at dinner one night. During our stay, we sampled most of the dinner entrees and there wasn't anything we didn't enjoy. There was a special appetizer served every night. Someone came to our room every evening and brought small treats which were delicious.

I was there when the wedding party arrived too and heard them at the bar or on the beach until late at night our last night there. It's to be expected with a resort that is mostly open air and the doors to the rooms aren't thick. I also heard the Caribbean Caberet next door but the noise did die down before it got too late.

We did get the Concierge level service for a $100 more and I think it got us one of the best views in the resort.

Go on any included trips in your package. We did the snorkeling tour and had a blast. We didn't get a chance to do the island tour. We had two 25 minute back massages in our package and they were wonderful.

What I didn't like was a meeting with a person from "guest services" who tried to talk us into going to one of the other palace resorts in Cancun for a 1 hour and 45 minute tour with no obligation, sure. Transportation would be provided. I was told initially that our meeting with "guest services" would be about our package which it wasn't and she spent the next 15 minutes or so trying to convince to go on this tour of the Beach Palace.

I didn't notice any crowds coming in from the other palace resorts. There were people being dropped off to the left and right of our resort and they would walk by once in a while.

The best time for me was either lounging at the pool people watching or sitting on our balcony, people watching or drinking a glass of wine with a good book.

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled as a couple
#17 of 177 in Cancun
Paradisus Cancun
Paradisus Cancun
#24 of 177 in Cancun

Been to Isla Mujeres Palace? Share your experiences!