“Always Happy To Return to Villas Punta Sur”
Review of Villas Punta Sur

and 1 more site!
Villas Punta Sur
St. Catharines, Canada
“Always Happy To Return to Villas Punta Sur”
Reviewed 7 February 2014

I have stayed at Villas Punta Sur at least five times. We love Mexico, especially Isla Mujeres, and especially Villas Punta Sur. It is much quieter than el Centro, and there is lots of nature surrounding the property. Not everyone wants to stay on the south end of the island, because you do have to get into a taxi to go most places, but still there are some excellent restaurants within walking distance. Sunrise or sunsets are completely visible only walking only one block to the east or the west side of the island. The grounds are immaculately kept, and our host Tino is always happy to bend over backwards to make your stay enjoyable. The pool is never busy, so you don't need to reserve a chair like larger resorts. Cleaning ladies come every other day to clean your fully furnished apartment.

The only negative on this particular trip is the two of the one-bedroom apartments were rented by families of four. Children will be children but.... there are lots of parenting styles! Maybe I'm becoming an old grump but I really don't expect to find a family of four next to me or below me in a building that only contains one-bedroom units. The other building with two two-bedroom units is appropriate for families.

That one sour note aside, we love Villas Punta Sur and would very gladly return again.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Brian664

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
Boulder, Colorado
Reviewed 9 January 2014

Just had a very enjoyable stay in unit #8- I've been to Isla about 6 times, and this is my favorite place and best value thus far! Reservations were straitforward with Sylvia, wire tranfer via Western Union was easy, and Tino was waiting for us with the key when we arrived. Within walking distance are 5 or 6 good restaurants. A bit farther, in La Gloria is a grocery that sells liquor and a number of other "local" restaurants. This is the place to go (south end) for a more real Mexico experience with locals. La Garrafon' del Castillo is only a few hundred meters away for inexpensive snorkeling ($5) as well as Capitan Dulche and Casa los Suenos for happy hour and food, and the Ixchel site has a great restaurant.

The pool was refreshing and very clean, and the grounds well kept (some of the paths could use a bit of trimming though!)

Note that Villas Punta Sur is not air conditioned- during the winter the temps were fine for sleeping and there are several fans, but in the warmer months it would be less comfortable.

Rent a cart for at least a day and tour the island... The next time I may fly my bike down

We watched the sun rise from punta sur, with over 500 locals on New Year's morning. It was fantastic!

Room Tip: The upstairs rooms benefit from the prevailing breeze from the Caribbean side, so are cooler. Also...
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank TomTryTri
Athens, Georgia
Reviewed 10 December 2011

I have been to Villas Punta Sur three times... and I love it. Rent a moto and you have access to all points of the island. You are a quick jump away from Garrafon and a GREAT zip line, you are close to the nicest place on the entire planet - Punta Sur. The villas are clean, you can go to the store and buy all the food you need for your stay and have a great time on this wonderful island. Nice pool, nice palapa, nice people. I will stay there any time I am on Isla.

Room Tip: Any room is totally fine. You can't really miss.
  • Stayed February 2011, travelled with family
8 Thank MakoRad
calgary
Reviewed 9 January 2010

We stayed for 10 days on Isla Mujeres with our 4 year old and 6 month old children. We spent about a week of that at Villas Punta Sur. We stayed in room 8 and room 7, which both have 2 bedrooms, a kitchen and a living room. Room 8 is on the 2nd floor and has a big living room and big patio outside. The hotel is at the south end (Punta Sur) of the island, whereas the town and best beaches are at the north end. The taxi ride is about 15 minutes and cost about $6 (60 pesos - set rate). The hotel is quite close to Garrafon park, which we did not visit due to the price. There are other beach areas which are a few minutes walk from the hotel, which you can pay $5 for access to the beach, beach chairs, shower, restaurant. The best beaches on the island however are at Playa Norte at the other end of the beach.

The hotel has a clean pool (although very cold at this time of the year). The grounds are lovely and well-kept. The rooms are well-maintained and clean.

My in-laws also spent a week at Villas Punta sur in room 5. This room also has a separate bedroom, kitchette and living room. Tino the proprietor lives on the property and is very helpful. He also speaks english and french.

• Stayed January 2010, travelled with family
7 Thank mkruchten
sgtoca
Reviewed 8 May 2008

If you read any of my other hotel reviews, I often rave and rave but this time, truth be told, I can't find anything positive to say. Villas Punta Sur is what it is. It is inexpensive so expect nil. Reservation was quite the nightmare even though I had completed the arrangements one week prior to travelling. First and foremost, the phone number provided on the website is often either (1) busy (2) appear disconnected (3) machine, even after leaving messages, we did not get a call back. I then attempted reservation via email and after receiving confirmation and wiring the deposit over 3 days before our travel and assumed all is well. We arrived at the villa to no keys out front for us to get into the room. After knocking for 20 minutes at one of the door of the staff, he opened only to very grumpily tell us he did not have any reservation information for us. Then after I showed him the wire transfer receipt and email from them would he open the door for us. This was upsetting as I almost thought we would not be able to get in, it was 9 pm and the cab driver had left and we had no idea how to get around the island. It was unnerving I guess. As they were not expecting us, the room we booked did not have its windows opened so was stuffy and stale smelling. Needless to say our first night was unpleasant. If there is anything urgent you require, it would be unlikely you can find help from anyone as no one is around the entire day and night. I am aware that this is a self sufficient rental but at least have someone around for questions. It was low season so that may be the reason. It is what it is, like I said. For the price, there's no AC and two rather loud fans, cutlery and pots for cooking but they do require more thorough cleaning. The bathroom rugs were extremely filthy and the water in the shower was a dribble at best. I really tried to like this place for all its rusticness but couldn't so we checked out 2 days after and found solice and bliss at Casa Ixchel.

• Liked — Rainforest surrounding
  • Disliked — See my review
  • Stayed April 2008, travelled with family
2 Thank sgtoca
Bayfield, WI
Reviewed 28 April 2008

My wife and I just returned from Isla 4/25/08 after a very relaxing 8 day stay at Villas Punta Sur. The above two reviews were exactly what we experienced and fwe found the villas to be an excellent bargain. We will stay at VPG again next April.

The grounds were very well kept and we enjoyed the pool. The hammocks under the palapa are very comfortable. We stayed in #4 for 5 nights and then moved up to #6 the last three nights.

The apts. were identical but #6 gets the breeze and has a decent view of the east side of the island and the water from the balcony. The fans are quiet and makes for a comfortable sleep as there is no A/C. They are very basic and have older furniture. Yes, the geckos are there and you will encounter small ants on the counters and other small insects. A common thing in the Carribean. But no bites.

Being away from downtown was perfect for us as we appreciate the quiet atmosphere. We rented a golf cart but taxi's are readily available. Its a 20 minute walk to the bus at the turnaround.

• Liked — Quiet, pool, price
  • Disliked — hard beds
  • Stayed April 2008, travelled with family
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
7 Thank 2BVI
Irma
Reviewed 8 March 2008

Beautiful grounds, filled with coconut palms, banana trees and
colorful flowers makes Villas Punta Sur an oasis on Isla. Since much of the island is void of lush foliage, VPS is a gem!
The 6 apartments are simple and clean...with functional kitchenettes. I found the rooms comfortable despite the lack of air conditioning.
The moderately small pool is kept sparkling clean by the gardener Juan (try to get him to smile though, now THAT'S a challenge!). And the palapa, surrounded by a mini-jungle of trees is a wonderfully peaceful place to enjoy a meal or your morning coffee.
I enjoyed morning and evening 1/2 mile walks around the southern tip of the island. The rocky shoreline along the Caribbean side is beautiful in the foreground of morning sunrises.
Best of all...is the price! While, in my view, there are much, much more beautiful Caribbean destinations than Isla Mujeres (St John USVI, the BVI and St Lucia are, by far, my favorites), it costs much less than half to stay at Villas Punta Sur. VPS is a bargain seekers paradise!

Mark

• Liked — Reasonable price
  • Disliked — Limited access to beaches on south end of island
  • Stayed February 2008, travelled solo