“A great day trip!”
Review of Isla Mujeres

Map
Satellite
Map updates are paused. Zoom in to see updated info.
Reset zoom
Updating Map...
Kalamazoo, Michigan
108 helpful votes
“A great day trip!”
Reviewed 20 September 2011

While staying in Cancun we took a ferry over to Isla Mujeres. It is an interesting place with several trinket shops, restaurants and lovely coast lines! We rented a golf cart to get around, which is one of the options. One can rent bikes and scooters, also. It takes about an hour to take the cart from one end to the other. Along the way are hotels, restaurants, bars and great views. The farthest end is Punta Sur. Here was the point where the first settlers spotted three women statues....hence the name Mujeres...that means women. I believe those statues were of Mayan decent. There is a restaurant at the start of the path the leads down thru a sculpture park that gets really great reviews ( unfortunately we did not spend the 30 pesos to do so), but the restaurant has great drinks and food! Before we boarded the ferry back we ate at Lancheros Mocambo, that is near the ferry dock. They had awesome drinks and some awesome lobster tacos! Lots of great reviews are noted on them too! Our ferry ride could have been better chosen. We were HAWKED at the dock and ushered quickly in to this company. The price was comparable to what we had read, but the ferry surely was much less pleasing than the others we later saw. It ran slow and well....it ran slow which tends to make for a rougher ride of about 45 min to get to the island. The company is called Mexicano. Later we read in a brochure, that when the bus drops you off at the dock you need to proceed a bit farther down the road to another dock for a faster ride. It is called UltraMar Service from Gran Puerto

3 Thank decoratingplus
Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
18 helpful votes
“Took to ferry to Isla Mujeres for the day...”
Reviewed 5 July 2011

I wanted to share our experience at Isla as I really enjoyed reading others vacation tips prior to our trip.
We stayed on the strip in Cancun and decided to take the ferry to Isla Mujeres for the day. I thought we could do more of a come and go as you please and maybe enjoy some of the locals as well and it would be a bonus to cost less but it did not quite work out that way for us. With a little advanced knowledge it could for you!
The day trip to Garraffon Reef would have cost us $79uspp (FYI)

First we took the city bus to the Ferry. We borded the ferry at Playa Tortouga, in the tourist district at the far end of the strip. It was $15USPP round trip. I had been told it was $3 pp but apparently that is if you depart from downtown where the locals are. We could have ridden the bus all the way to downtown but we were already there so we paid the higher rate.
Our plan was to visit the Hotel de Garraffon, an old rundown hotel (they close at 5pm)) that happens to share the reef with the tourist attraction site The Garraffon Reef. For $5 you can use their beach, chairs. (They have small concessions, open air showers and a bathroom too) $2 lockers $1 fishfood and for less than $10 you can rent an array of snorkle gear. Or better yet, bring your own. They DO share the reef but we didn't realize that you actually have to swim all way around the outside of it to get to the best part until the end of the day and we didnt have any more time. If you go there you should for sure buy the fishfood as they are very entertaining and will swarm you. There are also TONS of iquanas on site.
So it's your call if it is worth it to save the money to go it on your own. I was happy with our choice as I hate being herded around with 100 other people and told when to come and go. After paying the taxis ect it was about $60 for the two of us, but I suppose if you had a few kids or a group it would be well worth the savings, especially if you took the downtown ferry and brought all your own snorkle gear. We drove around the whole island in the taxi and the driver gave us a little local info on the tour which was pretty neat. I also found a guy making crepes at a roadside stand by the 7-11 near the pier. YUM!

1 Thank thematlocks
Auburn, Michigan, United States
11 helpful votes
“Had fun on Isla Mujeres”
Reviewed 29 June 2011

Took the 20 minute ferry from Cancun ($12 round trip) and rented a golf cart ($40/day) and off we went. We snorkeled on North Beach and then took a long ride around the island to Punta Sur. This is a great spot to take photos and see lizards and the beautiful water. After that we rode back into town and hung out for a while on the beach in town before catching a great fish dinner at a little restaurant on the beach...and I do mean ON the beach. Sand under your feet and a Corona tent canopy over your head as you listen to the waves and the people bustling about while you eat some of the best fish ever. We did a little shopping (not the best deals I found in Mexico) before returning on the ferry to Cancun. This was the day of our 25th wedding anniversary that ended in a very romantic dinner on the beach back at our resort (Excellence Riviera Cancun). I couldn't have asked for a nicer day.

Inver Grove Heights, Minnesota
99 helpful votes
“Isla Mujeres = Paradise!”
Reviewed 16 June 2011

It doesn't get any better than this. Isla Mujeres exceeded all of my expectations for a true 'get away from it all' vacation! If you are looking for flashing lights, 24-hour entertainment and posh high rises, stay in Cancun, this is not for you. I stayed in an apartment in Centro called Que Barbara (290 USD for the week!!) from May 7-14 2011. Loved this apartment, it had everything I needed/wanted, kitchenette, balcony, comfy bed, and it was clean. 1 block to the main pedestrian street Av. Hidalgo, where all the action is at night. As a solo female traveler I never felt unsafe, day or night, which is very important. Everything was within walking distance, grocery, beaches, restaurants/bars, shopping, ATM. (ATM gave the best exchange rates) Use pesos to get the most for your money. The beaches are beautiful all around this island! And they are public so you can bring your own chair, towel or mat, or you can pay for a lounger and umbrella set-up through various beach bars. You can get by without knowing Spanish, but make an effort to at least know some greetings and pleasantries. I already have my next trip booked!

2 Thank mn_isla_girl
Arkansas
130 helpful votes
“TOPLESS BEACHES DO EXIST IN MEXICO”
Reviewed 12 May 2011

I know from time to time many wonder about sunbathing topless in many destinations. The perfect beach to do so in Isla Mujeres Mexico is the "upper beach" in front of the Avalon Hotel. Noone bothers you, nor bats an eye if you prefer to sunbathe topless. Just returned from a fabulous vacation in Isla, and enjoyed this beach twice during my stay here.

13 Thank traveljunkieArkansas

Been to Isla Mujeres? Share your experiences!