“A small island full of culture and beauty”
Review of Isla Mujeres

Map
Satellite
Map updates are paused. Zoom in to see updated info.
Reset zoom
Updating Map...
La Habra, Ca.
26 helpful votes
“A small island full of culture and beauty”
Reviewed 1 March 2010

My husband and I decided to take a trip across Isla Mujeres and play it by ear since the weather from the reports was unpredictable and didn't want to book a snorkel trip if it was going to rain on us.

Thank God we did that. We took the ferry from Puerto Juarez from our hotel from the hotel zone and this in itself was a trip. We took the R1 and the bus driver dropped us off at a location to connect with another small van full of locals going towards that direction and they dropped us off at Puerto Juarez. If you are up for a little adventure this sure saves you at least 10.00 each for the taxi ride over to Puerto Juarez.

A 30 minute ride on the yellow ferry boat or so and you are there. Do rent a golf cart to tour the island. The island is about 7 miles total and you can venture on your own to see the island on your own pace. Even if you get lost it will be an adventure in itself. Golf carts cost around 500 pesos but if you rent one once you get there they give deals for 430 pesos for daily rate which is until 5:00. Workers at Puerto Juarez that for the ferry boat seem to have a deal with Gomar II Company (golf cart rental place) where they get 100 pesos from them. Don't fall for it, just get a cart once you get to the island.

North Beach is a hop, skip and a jump away from the port and is beautiful with calm waters. Lots of people there, but worth a trip.

On the south side you should go see the light house and pay 3.00 per person to go a further to see the art structures, the small ruins and walk along the cliffs of the beach and back to see the beauty of the island and the turquoise waters. There is a restaurant here overlooking the waters....absolutely beautiful and the food is good and so is the price. Grab a drink and a bite to eat enjoying the beautiful scenery.

Playa de Garrafon de Castillo is a small property but great for relaxing on lounge chairs, snorkeling, and grabbing a light snack and drinks here for reasonable price. My husband and I decided to go snorkeling here, which is right next to Garrafon Discovery and is a fraction of the price. Entrance was 50 pesos or a little less than 5 dollars and we rented two snorkel gears with fins for 14.00 total. We had a blast here...the highlight of our trip.

There are plenty of shops and restaurants to choose here. Just remember to deal/ barter with the shop owners and never settle for the first price....shop around and get the best deal. Do change your dollars for pesos before coming to the island. Pesos will get you further.

1 Thank Sharon R
williamsburg
1 helpful vote
“THINGS TO DO ON ISLAND”
Reviewed 21 February 2010

just returned from the island. quaint spot with beautful beaches and interesting cafes and bars. stayed at ixchel beach which i would not recommend. secreto looked much nicer.be sure to dine at olivia's; get a table in back, need reservations. also mama rosas- great italian but show up before the music starts out on the street - so loud. also particularly loved quabano, a tiny place on abasolo, off the main drag. owner is lovely, try the cuban sandwich, hungarian potato and vivians salad - all wonderful. this place is small so expect a short wait- open 12 -5 only.

Edmonton, Canada
3 helpful votes
“Santorini on the cheap”
Reviewed 12 February 2010

I don't mean that as a negative but to the contrary to illustrate the magnificence of this beautiful island. True Isla lacks the awe factor brought by the undulating cliff side streets of santorini's capital, however the two share a similar laid back island atmosphere. The sea wall walk along the caribbean side is the perfect place to watch a sunrise and the main street of hidalgo is a great mix of shopping and charming open air restaurants. The beaches are not crowded and have gorgeous white sand. Mainland Cancun is a short 15min ferry ride away, although why anyone would leave Isla for Cancun I don't know. This Island will grab you and bring you back again and again.

isla mueres
1 helpful vote
“Ultramar”
Reviewed 11 February 2010

As a resident of isla mujeres, i purchased local fare tickets for myself and two mexican female friends then was asked again for my id before i could board the boat.

My wallet had been stolen and when i went to replace my local isla license i was given a temporary license in the form of a letter and a receipt from the department of public security, transit and firemen (yeah, weird). They had run out of ink with which to print out licenses (again, weird but nothing new) and gave me that document to present in case i had to show a license or local id.

The female ticket taker did not even look at my papers before she rudely yelled at me saying i couldn't get on the boat. My two friends who are mexican and NOT residents of Isla but live in Cancun were told to board. I COULD NOT BECAUSE I WAS WHITE/A "FOREIGNER". Rascism of this sort should NOT be tolerated in ANY form! Our visitors support the measely economy of isla and they should be treated with kindness and respect.

Just a few months ago, a one way ticket to isla cost 35 pesos for tourists and 25 for locals. A ONE WAY FARE NOW COSTS DOUBLE THAT, 70 PESOS, APPARENTLY JUST FOR FOREIGNERS regardless of whether they are local or not, whether they can prove it or not.

Normally i always take the Magaña boats down the street as we have our parking space there. I will NEVER AGAIN TAKE ULTRAMAR AND STRONGLY SUGGEST THAT OUR FOREIGN VISITORS ALSO REFRAIN FROM USING ULTRAMAR!

This is not the first time female ultramar workers have been accused of abuse, physical violence or threats! IF THEY HATE EVERYBODY SO MUCH, THEN LET'S LEAVE THEM TO IT. I have lived in this country for over 12 years and i have never been so insulted.

When you come to visit isla, tell me what they charge you at ultramar! You will autmatically be charged a round trip fare and will not be informed of this. Most folks end up throwing the return portion of their ticket away. this is just one example of their underhanded business practices. I had three tickets for a total of 120 pesos that she tore and NOW I CAN NEITHER USE THOSE TICKETS FOR FUTURE TRAVEL NOR GET A REFUND!!!

Enjoy your trip to isla.

The rip off starts before you even get on the boat. Especially if you take stinkin ultramar.

1 Thank mlaina
Regina Sk. Canada
“Isla”
Reviewed 7 February 2010

Just returned from Isla and we had a great time to say the least. We stayed at Villa Vera and it was a wonderful place,far enough from the downtown for a qiut night yet close enough that it didn,t take you long to get there.

A few places of interest that we really enjoyed for eating were Mango Cafe& Elements of the Island two great places for breakfest, you won,t be disapointed. For dinner we eat at Jaxx,Seso Loco,Olivia`s & Soggy Peso to name a few. The shrimp tacos and the ribs at soggy peso are to die for along with the breakfest at Mango Cafe!!!

We also had dinner at The Sunset Grill along with spending the day there on the beach, let me just say don,t bother, the food was just okay at best,prices were way higher then anywhere else and the service was lets just say subpar. Don,t waste your time or money here there are to many other great places to go!!!

The beaches here are beautiful with fine white sand. If you are into hanging at the beach most days like we are make sure you look up Roger, he will get you a lounger, umbrella and take care of your drink needs for the day, what a terrific fellow!!!

Been to Isla Mujeres? Share your experiences!