“Ambience and Flavour”

Cafe Peon Contreras
Ranked #589 of 855 Restaurants in Merida
Reviewed 5 December 2012

Before or after a concert, this is the place to sit and relax, with a cofee or a Bandera (tequila with lemon and salsa). Snacks were delicious too.

1  Thank Lori S

Reviewed 19 November 2012

Right downtown...if you want inexpensive and good basic food, this can't be beat...open all the time, great spot for any meal anytime...never disappointed.

Reviewed 27 March 2012

We did try and sit there a number of times, beacuse it is right next to the Peon Contreras theatre in the very centre of town, has live music and you can watch the world go by. However, the margaritas were good one time, awful the next (made with some instant syrup rubbish instead of lime juice and cheap tequila), the food was nothing to write home about, and they have a singer who is in love with his own voice (undeservedly), whose piercing tones and boring choice of music made it annoying to stay there. The bathrooms were also not very clean when we went there, and all in all it was disappointing.

Reviewed 27 March 2012

I have been to Merida several times and I'm always on the lookout for new things to do and good places to eat. Sadly, this is not one of them. The location is about the only positive thing I can say about the place. The food is terrible. I mean really, really bad...probably the worst I've ever had in Mexico. The service is bland and kind of unfriendly, and the prices are outrageous. I am compiling a list of restaurants that I will never return to, and this place is at the top. With so many wonderful places to eat in Merida and surrounding area, I can't understand how this cafe manages to stay open. Awful!

Reviewed 26 February 2012

My wife and I frequented this outside cafe which has good food and excelent service. Don't mind the pedelers-- a simple " no thanks" will keep them on their way. We stopped most every night for some cafe americana con leche and a small snifter of xtabentun-the local anis and honey brew. There were several very good guitar players/singers that started about 8:30 pm. We had lince ther one day and I was plesently surprised by their food