“FOR THE YOUNG CROWD”

Cuisines: Mexican
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 8 May 2013

This is a happy, noisy place, were the young crowd meets.
With each drink you get free "Botanas", the music is loud, and the price is very affordable. You will not leave hungry from this place.

Reviewed 24 April 2013

I walked in after finding this place on tripadvisor. Today is Wednesday, 230pm. Who would have thought there would be a down to earth place for the locals in the middle of the tourist center.

Live mexican music with 5 members made you want to get up and start dancing but alas, no dance floor. Go figure. They bring free food and hope you will buy the tequilla which incidentally was awesome but US prices at 50 pesos.

Very large area that seats around 200 comfortably. Tables are sturdy rustic wood with matching chairs. Tables are covered with plastic tablecloths. Loud place that does not accommodate conversation.

They also offer a full menu but you have to know what you are ordering.

I recommend this to anyone who wants to relax. No pretenses here!

Reviewed 22 November 2012

You will never guess what's up the stairs and down the hall. I would have never entered except that I heard the fun through a back door in a parking lot.
Hokey, campy Ranchero bands playing rock? The audience participates, sings along, hoots and hollers. It's a big open room and on the weekend is full of Mexican families, not a gringo in sight.
The real deal is to go to this place in the afternoon. If you order a beer they will bring 4 or 5 botanas, snacks which will easily fill you - for the cheapest lunch of your trip.
A mi me gusta mucho

Reviewed 19 November 2012

best fun spot downtown, this afternoon cantina has been a staple for years and has good drinks and non stop food with great music, comedy and entertainment all day into the evening

1  Thank kwdoug1
Reviewed 16 August 2012

El Tucho is an experience to remember!!! The first thing I asked my hotel was 'where is a good place for some beer & botanas?', I was told to walk down the street a few blocks and look for the little monkey sign over the door. When I arrived the live music was BLARING (as I find in just about all of my latin travels) and the place was PACKED with families....and this was only at about 4.00 pm.
So I walked in (don't expect english but ordering a beer is pretty universal and the menu is full o' pictures) and the show was over!!! Oh dear....but alas my beer and first round of free botanas arrived (you'll get a round of botanas free with each drink purchase up to three rounds...if you're still hungry you'll order off the menu...I was not hungry after chips, enchiladas, jicama, tamale, etc....think tapas) and my travel mate and I were just happy to cool off.
After a while the (as far as I'm concerned) the REAL show began. Ladies and Gentlemen, it was Ms. Selma and Conchita!!!!!! YAY!!!!!! I don't know if it was Selma or Conchita but one of the characters was a drag queen. HILARIOUS!!!!! I'm not the most fluent in spanish though I understand it better than I speak it and I was smiling the entire time. The audience seemed to know the act pretty well and everyone was entertained. I find the Yucatan so 'gay indifferent' that I was in no way surprised to see senior citizens and some pretty burly guys just loving the show and buying the cast drinks.....and the kids played in the playground outside.
Now I know my drag shows pretty well and this wasn't RuPaul quality but the fact that this is such a working class family joint it was just quite a surreal experience.....I mean it was SURREAL.
Clapping, dancing, laughing....it all continued after the show (at least and hour and a half long) when a live band.....a VERY good band that sounded a little more bossa nova than salsa took the stage.
The drink prices are higher than other places BUT you're getting quite a bit of free food and non-stop entertainment. I can't recommend El TUCHO enough. You'll know you're at the right place when you see the sign board with Ms. Selma Salome & Conchita's picture outside and of course the little monkey sign over the door. I love monkeys!!!

2  Thank UlfAlexander