“Great little place in Merida's historical district”
Review of 62 St. Guest House

62 St. Guest House
Ranked #13 of 80 Merida B&B and Inns
“Great little place in Merida's historical district”
Reviewed 10 August 2013 via mobile

The host of the Casa Alvarez Guest House is very friendly and attentive. The rooms are comfortable, clean, and spacious. It has an open kitchen, access to free drinking water, a nice little pool, air conditioning, and wireless Internet. It takes a while for hot water to arrive in the shower, but it is good and hot. It is on a quite street with free parking nearby and a short walk to Merida's centro.

• Stayed August 2013
4 Thank tshare1

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
Reviewed 22 July 2013

My boyfriend & I visited the Yucatan in 2012 and loved it so much that we came back this year. Enrique & Mariam made such a mark on us in 2012 that we never hesitated on decided where to stay when visiting Merida again. They are such welcoming hosts and, honestly, make you feel like you are at home. Guests have free range of the kitchen--with working appliances and bottled water. There is a nice dipping pool to cool you off in the middle of the day. The rooms are spotless and are a nice size. The bathrooms are nice--hot water is kind of spotty, but you are in Mexico and that is not out of the norm. Parking is included and Enrique is more than happy to get in the car with you to show you where to park. Also, they do exchange money and offer a phenomenal rate! And wifi is free (like most public areas in the Yucatan) Mostly, though, I will never forget Enrique offering me some of his personal yoghurt when he found that my stomach was not cooperating with the rich, meaty foods of the Yucatan. If you want to feel like part of the family, please stay here. The b&b is just a short walk from the main square and Paseo and the hosts are beautiful people that will make you feel like family.

Room Tip: Like any hotel/ B&B in Merida, it is right off of a main road, try to get a room closer to the c...
5 Thank mckrystal86
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 4 April 2013

Miriam, the owner of the hotel is a lovely lady who will go out of her way to make you feel at home. The house in itself is beautiful and really taken care of and the price is more than reasonable. We got a king size bed and AC for $50 a night and the room was very clean and confortable. You can prepare your own breakfast in the kitchen and Miriam provides guests with coffee and bread. For the price, we can't argue with it, it is absolutely fine.
Great quiet place, 10 minutes walk from the town's center. It is even better on Saturday nights as it is located close to an area with live music. I would recommend it to anyone.

3 Thank 639sarahc
Rotterdam, The Netherlands
Reviewed 10 March 2013

We had a great experience at this guesthouse. We booked in advance and were welcomed by our first names. Enrique got in our car to help us to the included car parking (a must in Merida). The room was very nice and even included a fridge. Unfortunately not always hot water in the shower, but the bathroom was very clean. Furthermore for this location close to the busy calle 65 the rooms are very quiet. The guesthouse also has a nice little swimming pool and kitchen with potable water.

4 Thank Rvdederde
Ontario's Near North, Canada
Reviewed 20 February 2013

I recommend this hotel for the cleanliness, location, mexican/yucatecan style, price, and great people. They have many choices of rooms including a roof top with little patio and view of the city. All guests can use the kitchen. Sparkling pool and good internet. Stayed two nights prior to taking a house for the winter.

Room Tip: air conditioning or fans, you choose.no fitness center, no room service
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank currandrive
near Baltimore
Reviewed 19 February 2013

I have yet to give a hotel 5 stars, but only because I am saving that for something truly outstanding. But Casa Alvarez comes very close! I enjoyed my 5-night stay here very much, and Miriam & Enrique were very accommodating & friendly. The place is extremely quiet, which is very important to me. I didn't hear a single sound all night long every night I was there! And even the outdoor parts of the hotel (patio, pool area, etc.) remained relatively cool, even during the day, during the hot spell Merida had while I was staying there. The pool is very small but just large enough to swim a couple of laps... and very refreshing. I met most of the guests staying there while I was there... and it seemed that the majority were either staying for a long period of time and/or had stayed there before. It is obviously a popular place... particularly with older guests, I think. If you want a lot of privacy, this might not be the hotel to stay in. The outdoor patio is a big part of your stay at Casa Alvarez. You can't really avoid running into Miriam & Enrique and the other guests. I found this nice, but I suppose some people might not like it. The physical space of the hotel felt very Mexican to me. It is the opposite of "big box" hotels with long hallways of identical rooms on each side. (I'm pretty sure each room is completely different from all the rest.) Overall, I recommend Casa Alvarez, and I hope to go back there for my last few nights in Merida. Gracias por todos, Miriam & Enrique!

• Stayed February 2013, travelled solo
3 Thank joanne_kh
Ontario's Highlands, Canada
Reviewed 2 February 2013

Perfectly located downtown Merida and secluded at the same time. Within the guest house are friendly owners and great opportunities to interact with other guests some of whom are staying the whole winter and so can recommend places to see and where to eat. Very friendly collection of people. The kitchen is a great feature. We made some breakfasts and dinners there and had very interesting conversations around the kitchen table.
We are in fact going to stay there again as we pass back through Merida.
We highly recommend also seeing the big Mercado.

Room Tip: We stayed in number 7 which was great and a friend stayed in another room the number of which I cann...
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple