“To see in your city tour considering its history”
Review of Merida Cathedral

Merida Cathedral
Ranked #6 of 116 things to do in Merida
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: <1 hour
Reviewed 14 November 2013

It's of course a must see on your city tour but it is not be nicest church inside. Regular, sort of plain but still, a need to see, especially if you know that all the stones used had their prvious life as Maya temple

Write a ReviewReviews (1,634)

Reviewed 9 November 2013

I am generally not keen on flocking to Papal franchises, but since there where a handful of hardcore beggars at the portal I had a look. The bed-sheet-clad guy claiming not to be a priest but peddling religious images ran off as I took out my camera, but the very miserable looking poor ladies crouching in the dirt enjoyed the interview and 10 pesos to boot. Amen

Reviewed 5 November 2013

Impressive by it's size and by the number of worshippers that we saw in there regardless of the time of day.

Very plain compared to the Cathedrals that I know in France and it was difficult to look at things closely because we didn't like to intrude on the people and their faith.

We prefered the smaller churches that we found around and about in Merida.

Reviewed 20 October 2013

You have to have one of the locals tell you the stories of why Merida received such a large cathedral for such a small colony and where they got the stones.

Reviewed 14 October 2013

During our Family trip to Merida, we took the kids and my mother-in-law to the central park. The Church is so large and the stone work has many detailed carving. It makes for a great back-drop to your vacation photos. Sadly, we did not go inside but, we plan to do so in our next trip to Merida as I know there will be many more trips taken to the White City. This central park is surrounded by many other prestigious buildings. Also the people here LOVE to tell you about their city. We made some friends here in the park and got 'tips' on where to shop and visit. We Love Merida.