“A good breakfast buffet”
Review of El Gran Cafe

El Gran Cafe
Ranked #569 of 855 Restaurants in Merida
Cuisines: Mexican
Reviewed 15 June 2012

I only go here for breakfast, they have a good buffet of 'local' dishes, although you can order off the menu if the local stuff doesn't thrill you. Fortunately for me it does; fresh fruit, beans, chilaquiles, scrambled eggs, salsas. I think it's a darn good breakfast place.

1  Thank Debi K

Reviewed 12 May 2012

After eatingg here, we were surprised at the recommendation by our hotel owner. It isn't much closer to walk than any number of competing restaurants in el centro. At mid-day on a Saturday, we were among two or three occupied tables in a place that could hold 100. Maybe that's what gave it a lifeless feel, despite the ambience of a sparely-decorated Spanish cafe. The service was quick but meal preparation for two lunch sandwich orders was way too long. The sandwiches were both fine - nothing remarkably good or bad - and filling. There are just too many more interesting choices in the vicinity to recommend this as a first choice.

Reviewed 24 April 2012

I was the only guest in the restaurant on a Sunday evening. A gentleman that I could see through the window sitting at a table saw me approaching the restaurant and asked me at the door what I wanted. I said I would like to have dinner and was asked to come in and choose a seat. I did and the waiter approached with the menu. As it started to get dark, I noticed that there were only a few ceiling lights on and that was going to be all there was. Making the best of the situation, I told myself I would be dining by candlelight. I ordered grilled chicken, rice and vegetables. The chicken had been coated in some type of shortening or oil to be grilled and was pressed flat. The coating remained when it was served and it made the chicken breast look shiny. The vegetables were overcooked and had lost most of their color and flavor and the rice was cold. While eating my dinner, I thought that the chicken breasts were the flat breast variety that can be been purchased frozen in the large bags from Costco, the vegetables were definitely from a family value bag, probably also Costco, and had no idea why the rice was cold. Bread was served with the dinner and it was edible, although a little zap in the microwave to warm it would have made it the best part of the meal. All of the food was edible, but I would only rate this restaurant a 4 out of 10, and that is being generous. Would I go back? Definitely not. Surprisingly, most people have said the same thing. Apparently, once is enough if, like me, you do not know better. As a side note, while I was attempting to enjoy my make believe candlelight dinner, I could not help but notice the standing room only crowd across the street at Cafeteria Impala. I knew at that moment that is where I should have been and have been many nights since.

Reviewed 11 April 2012

We were here for breakfast. They offered breakfast Buffet. We took a look and agreed on the Buffet that was very reasonable priced (89 pesos) Very good espresso (not included in the buffet price) Fresh fruits, juices, pastries and Mexican treats. You could also have eggs on order your favorite style.

Very friendly staff and great service, but the best of all was the "Pollo Pibil" outstanding flavor

Reviewed 5 April 2012

Of all the places we ate in Merida, this was the only one we hadn't looked up first on Trip Advisor. And that's probably a good thing, because it really hasn't been reviewed much. But based on a local's recommendation, to being our stroll on Paseo de Montejo, we went to El Gran Cafe for brunch, and frankly had our best meal in Merida. The service was friendly and attentive, the buffet had a wide assortment of food catering to all tastes, a variety of juices were included in the price, and the price was fantastic, at 89 pesos/person. The only thing we didn't like was that it wasn't very clean - the scraps of food from other customers were all over the floor near our table. That didn't keep is from enjoying the food though.