“very nice”

Cuisines: Mexican
Playa del Carmen
“very nice”
Reviewed 19 November 2012

at foot of paseo de montejo, this sister restaurant to La Habana Cafe downtown, very good spot with good menu, good service and great coffee.

Visited July 2012

Denton, Texas
“El Gran Cafe”
Reviewed 10 November 2012

The Cafe is very pleasant and features meals of local cuisine. We had the 'huevos multolenos,' 'lime supa,' and 'supa aztecca' which were very tasty. The Cafe is clean and there are wait-staff who are fluent in English.

Visited October 2012
Merida, Mexico
“A good breakfast buffet”
Reviewed 15 June 2012

I only go here for breakfast, they have a good buffet of 'local' dishes, although you can order off the menu if the local stuff doesn't thrill you. Fortunately for me it does; fresh fruit, beans, chilaquiles, scrambled eggs, salsas. I think it's a darn good breakfast place.

1 Thank Debi K
Port Orchard, WA
“Classic old Euro-style cafe' lacking charm and menu interest”
Reviewed 12 May 2012

After eatingg here, we were surprised at the recommendation by our hotel owner. It isn't much closer to walk than any number of competing restaurants in el centro. At mid-day on a Saturday, we were among two or three occupied tables in a place that could hold 100. Maybe that's what gave it a lifeless feel, despite the ambience of a sparely-decorated Spanish cafe. The service was quick but meal preparation for two lunch sandwich orders was way too long. The sandwiches were both fine - nothing remarkably good or bad - and filling. There are just too many more interesting choices in the vicinity to recommend this as a first choice.

• Visited February 2012
Southern California
“Less than mediocre food, although the service was good”
Reviewed 24 April 2012

I was the only guest in the restaurant on a Sunday evening. A gentleman that I could see through the window sitting at a table saw me approaching the restaurant and asked me at the door what I wanted. I said I would like to have dinner and was asked to come in and choose a seat. I did and the waiter approached with the menu. As it started to get dark, I noticed that there were only a few ceiling lights on and that was going to be all there was. Making the best of the situation, I told myself I would be dining by candlelight. I ordered grilled chicken, rice and vegetables. The chicken had been coated in some type of shortening or oil to be grilled and was pressed flat. The coating remained when it was served and it made the chicken breast look shiny. The vegetables were overcooked and had lost most of their color and flavor and the rice was cold. While eating my dinner, I thought that the chicken breasts were the flat breast variety that can be been purchased frozen in the large bags from Costco, the vegetables were definitely from a family value bag, probably also Costco, and had no idea why the rice was cold. Bread was served with the dinner and it was edible, although a little zap in the microwave to warm it would have made it the best part of the meal. All of the food was edible, but I would only rate this restaurant a 4 out of 10, and that is being generous. Would I go back? Definitely not. Surprisingly, most people have said the same thing. Apparently, once is enough if, like me, you do not know better. As a side note, while I was attempting to enjoy my make believe candlelight dinner, I could not help but notice the standing room only crowd across the street at Cafeteria Impala. I knew at that moment that is where I should have been and have been many nights since.

Visited April 2012