“Can't be worse”

Davis, California
“Can't be worse”
Reviewed 11 July 2011

Can't be worse

They made my payment twice, bad service and smell really bad... I'll never going back

• Stayed July 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank Pabl030

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Clearwater, Florida
Reviewed 29 June 2011

I recently spent 4 nights in the Ibis in Merida for business. It is a nice hotel, perfect for a business traveler. The room rate was very reasonable for the location and the Ibis brand is known worldwide (except perhaps the USA). I have stayed in Ibis in Monterrey, Cancun and now Merida, as well as Cork, Brussels and a few other cities in Europe. The room is basic with a bed, a desk /cabinet built in a chair and an small sitting area which I used for my suitcases. There is a large flat screen television with channels in Spanish and English.

The bathroom has a shower and it includes body wash/shampoo dispenser in the shower and a soap dispenser adjacent to the sink. This is common to all Ibis hotels and helps keep costs and of course the price to the guest low. There is plenty of very hot water.

The air conditioning works quite well, as I had to turn it off in the middle of the night as I got a bit cold. There is a duvet, sheets and two pillows in the room with one queen bed. I did not see other rooms, but I believe you may have a 2 bed room if you ask.

The elevators work by key card and are restricted to the floor on which you are staying, there is a night time security guard if travelers wish to be escorted to or from their car, however it is in a very safe neighborhood and the parking lot is well lit and seemed quite safe.

There breakfast buffet is very good if you enjoy a Mexican breakfast, don't look for a traditional fry up however. The price is quite reasonable, when I stayed this week it was $75 MXP. There are several nice restaurants close by including the well reviewed Slavia. The hotel has a small restaurant that I only used for breakfast.

There is a bit of an odor outside, but I think it is coming from an adjacent property / septic system and unfortunately not under the control of the hotel. It is not at all noticeable inside. The hotel actually smells hospital clean as the housekeeping staff is very good.

There is free high speed Internet in the rooms which worked well.

I did have one problem, the large flat screen television did not work when I returned to the room before lunch. They do have a 15 minute guarantee and as far as I know they met it, I took longer than 15 minutes for lunch after I told them it was not working.

Room Tip: Don't worry about traffic noise.
  • Stayed June 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank mdoneil
S.t Petersburg
Reviewed 28 January 2011

Location is not close to the Merida city center (zokalo), but it is not a problem if you have a car - private outdoor parking is for free. Rooms are small, but the furtiture is new and comfortable and LCD TV. There is no bath in shower room. Very friendly stuff on the reception. This holel very sutable for
couples with car - free parking, clean and quiet rooms, no insects, good staff. I will stay here next time.

• Stayed February 2010, travelled as a couple
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 30 September 2010

New clean hotel, everything in the room smelled new, even if the place was made with generic shelving and decor pulled from an ikea type of catalogue, it was great, all you need nothing more or less

The bathroom leaked a little given the seal on the glass was weak on suction on one side, nothing too extreme, i've had worse

This hotel is located near the main street Paseo de Montejo, and a very safe area to walk at night. many shops and restaurants nearby: Sanborns, Stevia (great steaks), Chedraui (grocery store with great breads) and many others.

Parking is free and it is pretty safe, locked with card. I felt it was very small, but it never got full, always found parking :)

Hotel has a couple of computers free of charge for guests to use, and a nice restaurant in the lobby

• Stayed March 2010, travelled as a couple
Accor_Mexico, General Manager at Hotel Ibis Merida, responded to this review, 1 December 2010
Thank you very much for taking the time in sharing your comments regarding your stay at ibis Merida.

Yes, you are in a great location, we offer a free Internet & parking service, & the hotel recently opened. I am sorry for your experience in the bathroom did not fully meet your expectations. Please rest assured we have taken the appropiate measures to address the problem with the maintenance department in order to prevent a futuroccurence.

Exceptional service is what we strive like to be known for; therefor your feedback is extremely important as it helps us to continually improve .

I am delighted that you left our hotel with pleasant memories. We are looking forward to welcoming you back to ibis Merida.

Emilio Matarranz
Calgary, Canada
Reviewed 17 May 2010

Unfriendly staff, elevators that stop between floors,key cards that don't work over and over.(even after reprogramming) This hotel feels like a hospital complete with tired and grumpy staff. I would that recomend anyone in their right mind find just about any other hotel and save yourself the problems you will face at this joke of a hotel.I travel to merida 5 times/ year and have never been treated anywhere near as bad as I was treated at IBIS.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled on business
Accor_Mexico, General Manager at Hotel Ibis Merida, responded to this review, 9 August 2010
“I am very concerned about the bad image that has been able to collect from your stay with us. I remember Ibis hotels have a service "contract 15” which is that we solve your problem in 15 minutes or else you will be our guest. This customer service is valid at any time of day or night, all year. Really, I am also very concerned that your impression of Ibis hotels has been marred by this experience and in particular the impression of Ibis Merida, as we are very proud of the customer care we give to our guests. I hope that this experience will not deter you from using Ibis hotels in the future.”