“Better Than Expected”

Cuisines: Mexican
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 25 March 2014

It has long been said that if you want bad service in Merida, this is the place. In the past, I have had mixed experiences so decided to give it another try. I was pleasantly surprised.
I really don´t like restaurants where the waiter trys to be your best friend. None of that here but the service was prompt and effecient. My friend was looking for a place to charge her tablet and the waiter moved some things at the waiters station to accomodate her.
I thought the guacamole was very good and freshly made. My friend had broiled fish which was very tasty and a generous portion. I had tamales which were neither good nor bad but fairly tasteless.
The atmosphere has obviously been the same for many years but appealed to me. Quiet and spacious without the blaring TV so evident in many Mexican restaurants.
A good experience. I will go back.

There are newer reviews for Cafe la Habana

Reviewed 1 March 2014

The food was okay, but the coffee was great. We went for breakfast several times, the food was so so, the fruit plate was the best and we enjoyed sitting near the window and observe all the pedestrians going into the centro and the traffic whiz by. It was a wonderful experience and the location at 62 and 59th downtown. Go in and try the coffee and watch all the activity of Merida outside.

Reviewed 11 February 2014

This place had its heyday many many years ago and it seems like they haven't reinvented themselves since. Average food with average service and prices on the high side. No English menus even though half their clientele is probably foreign. So many alternatives in the neighborhood such as Bisquets de Obregon or Chaya Maya. Coffee is decent, food and service are variable.

Reviewed 31 January 2014

I noticed their ad for lunch for 49 pesos and thought I'd give it a try, I was pleasantly surprised. The waiter was friendly and brought me corn chips and dips, even warned me the dips were hot. Fruit juice was good. The soup arrived quickly, full of delicious vegetables, probably could have done without the bacon tho. I ordered the fish which was delicious and served with rice, vegetables and tortillas. Then a dessert of fresh fruit covered in a pink sauce, it tasted OK. Finally he brought me coffee which was delicious. Overall fabulous value!

You can change the American coffee for capucchino for 8 pesos more, I would have done that but it turns out you have to change at the time you place your order, and my waiter forget to ask me, so it seems once the order is placed there is no going back.

The service was friendly and fast and the food tasty. This menu is available Mon-Fri at lunchtime only until 4pm.

Reviewed 4 January 2014

The chips that came with my guac were a mix of stale and chewy with fresh and crispy.
The guac itself looked almost as if it came from a jar.
The tacos again werea mux of fresh and stale. The chicken was over cooked and tasted like it was par boiled earlier in the day.
The salsas were dull, and the refried beans quite old.
Think mid range Mexican restaurant in an American city that has lost its passion.