“Super location”
Review of Hotel Reforma

Hotel Reforma
Ranked #15 of 85 Merida B&B and Inns
Reviewed 30 June 2013

I was there last year, and am still referrinng friends. It wasn't a five star hotel, but I didn't want to pay fi ve star prices either. And the breakfast was nothing to write home about. But the location is great, everything is nearby, as a woman traveling alone, I felt totally safe. Employees were nice. I always leave a nice tip for the cleaning people on the day I arrive. It always works, and the people who have complaints should remember this. I will stay there again, and I will refer other people there too. If you want to be in the middle of where things are happening, near wonderful restaurants and good entertainment, and not pay an arm and a leg, this is the place.

Room Tip: I asked for a room on the first floor and was happy.
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled solo
There are newer reviews for Hotel Reforma

Reviewed 6 May 2013

I've seen some bad reviews of this hotel which I don't think are founded.

The hotel is an old colonial hotel in the heart of Merida. The rooms are fairly basic, but true to the character of the hotel.

It's super central and cheap. Step through the door and you're back a hundred years. I really liked this hotel, it's full of character and charm.

Room Tip: We stayed in the back rooms, I think they were quieter and had their own little patio area.
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Checkunderthebed
Reviewed 9 April 2013

The hotel is in an excellent location, was fairly clean and it was maybe by chance, but I requested a quieter non-street facing room and got one. The long dark hallway to the room and poor lighting didn't feel overly safe. The flimsy lock on the room door lead me to pile a few things in front of the door in case someone decided to come "visit". The reception staff was nice, but overall this hotel seemed a little over priced for what it delivers.

Room Tip: Ask for a room which doesn't face the street.
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 18 February 2013

My fiance & I spent 4 nights at this hotel. We were looking for a budget friendly hotel with just the right clean & comfortable commodities for a good night sleep , we didn't care much for other things since we spend all our time outdoors. We were shown 3 rooms & chose one right upstairs the lobby because we didnt have to walk too far & we wanted a balcony. the atmosphere of the hotel is very rustic & "meridian" i enjoyed it. The Room was quaint, very clean with high ceilings., bathroom was tiny , we had closet space,, a flat screen tv tho it didn't show very well but we werent there to watch tv so we weren't bothered by it.. We had no trouble sleeping tho our room was facing the street . Breakfast is set up in the lobby...a couple tables & chairs & consist of tea or coffee, sweet bread, toast & bananas.The receptionist were very helpful & the maid honest. We loved that it was located in the centro & close to everything. This hotel is great if you are not looking for a wow factor..just clean, nice & comfortable. Would stay here again.

Room Tip: rooms upstairs from the lobby have easier access , gets wifi & hv balconies. If any lil noise bo...
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 2 January 2013

This hotel was a very nice surprise. Booked last minute due to a change of plans I was expecting a run down hostel-like setting and was very surprised to find a beautiful colonial style hacienda-like building a block from the main city square. The rooms are very clean with AC, plasma TVs, and super high ceilings that show the original wooden beams. They have recently remodeled and each room has its own bathroom now which is a major plus.
Breakfast of bread and coffee/tea is included...keep in mind that mexican sweet bread is delicious and this one is fresh out of the oven.
The staff is very helpful and attentive. The hotel provides with free parking a block and a half away in case you decide to arrive driving.
All in all best value for your money I have ever seen in a hotel, will recommend it to anyone who travels to Merida.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Daniella R
Reviewed 31 August 2012

Clean and good-sized room. Nice pool-area in the backyard. The hotel had a good atmosphere, and was a nice place to come bak to after different activities. The only thing that was not good was the breakfast. We ate late in the breakfast-hours, and there was hardly any food left. And what was left was not tempting...

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Adeleid H
Reviewed 17 July 2012

Typical bare minimum amenities. Very small rooms, with very high ceilings. Concrete building. Very nice interior courtyard, where bread and coffee are served from 7-10 in the mornings. The doors are comparable to bedroom doors in a typical home, offering minimal security. There are no safes in the room, but they claim there is a safe box at the front desk if you wish to store your valuables there. You will hear every noise that occurs within the hotel. The sound reverberates throughout the building. Very hard, uncomfortable beds.

The maids begin cleaning rooms very early in the morning, they are very loud. Several times, they opened the door to my room without knocking and came in to start cleaning, around 9 am. They do not check with the desk to see if you have checked out yet. They apologize and walk out. The cleaning ladies were very polite in conversation.

The night workers may sometimes call you around 8 or 9pm and tell you that you need to pay $5-$10 USD more than you already paid. I always told them no and I will pay the day time people at checkout, if needed. They say OK and the daytime people say I don't owe anything. I stayed there for 10 nights so I got to really experience the place and observe a lot of details.

If you are looking for bare minimum on a budget, average $35USD/night online or $45-$50 if you just walk in the door, then this is a great little place. Another advantage is the location. Right in the centro next to many great restaurants, bars, clubs, etc... I highly recommend Amaro's right down the street. It has vegetarian food and was my favorite place to go.

Relax and enjoy your stay in Merida.

Room Tip: There is no fitness center. Ask to inspect your room before agreeing to it. Check it out and make su...
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled solo