“Kind, helpful people”
Review of Hotel Reforma

Hotel Reforma
Ranked #17 of 86 Merida B&B and Inns
Reviewed 23 February 2014

I didn't actually stay at Hotel Reforma, but I did have a great experience with them:
I'm currently staying with a host family in Merida, but in order to go on tours I need to be picked up at a hotel. I just wait outside the hotel for my guide to come. Honestly, I just chose the closest hotel to Plaza Grande, since it's easiest for me to get to.
However, I had an issue with the travel agency and the guide never showed up. I tried calling the agency, but my cell phone wasn't working, so I went into the hotel to ask for help--and helpful they were! I explained upfront that I wasn't staying there, but they still did everything they could for me. They made at least four phone calls themselves to the various people from the travel agency, talked to me while I waited for the agency to call back, and let me use the phone myself for quite a while as I talked to the agency--over half an hour of phone calls! The entire time, the people at the desk were incredibly nice! I didn't feel like they were grudging to do it; they just genuinely wanted to help!
I wouldn't have blamed the people at Hotel Reform if they had turned me away. I wasn't a paying customer, and since I'm with a host family, the chances of my becoming a paying customer anytime soon are minimal; yet, they spent their time and resources helping me. I was awed by their kindness! For me, that's a deciding factor on where I choose to stay, so from now on, I'm recommending this place to others, and I'll be staying there if (whenever) I come back to Merida!
As for the details on the hotel, I did see that the price is great! It's $600 pesos (about $45) a night, and this is for the absolute center of the city--you can't get any closer to Plaza Grande! The price includes a continental breakfast, swimming pool, air conditioning, and discounted tourist services.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled solo
2  Thank Thur2010

Reviewed 14 February 2014

I stayed at the Hotel Reforma for 3 weeks in January and couldn't have been more pleased. My room was peaceful and spacious and very clean. The location is great and everything you need is very close. The staff was very nice and helpful and the housekeeper Juliana, is a sweetheart! Plus the owner is usually on site and speaks perfect English and was very accommodating also. I would definitely stay at the Reforma again when I return to beautiful Merida!

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 7 February 2014

Clean, nicely decorated and good sized rooms and bathrooms, if slightly lacking in natural light, arranged around a labyrinth of corridors and courtyards in a nice old colonial building.  Small pool with loungers around but not heated.  Friendly staff but only a little English spoken.  Good location opposite some tourist friendly bars and restaurants and one block from main square. Main criticism is that the air conditioning unit was old and noisy.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 16 January 2014

We brought my parents from Canada to Hotel Reforma for 4 nights. We were welcomed by the front desk staff with smiles. The front desk staff are very kind.
The had our rooms ready and side by side on the second floor. We were travelling with 2 small dogs and they were welcomed with open arms.
The rooms are a descent size with 2 double beds. They are very clean and our particular rooms were extremely quiet. We had no complaints at all.
The pool area was very cute, however it was raining and we did not use the pool. It was very cleaned and maintained. We did enjoy our morning coffee from the Extra store across the street in the pool veranda. The hotel offers coffee and toast for breakfast but we preferred our flavoured coffee from Extra. Nothing wrong with the hotels coffee we just wanted a larger cup of flavoured coffee to enjoy on the veranda.
I was extremely happy with this hotel and will return for sure.
I have to say that when booking this hotel, at the very low rate, you sometimes wonder what you are going to get. I have to say that for such a low rate hotel I give it a 5 star rating. It is not fancy and has no frills but it is super clean, very cute and excellent staff.
Thank you Hotel Reforma for welcoming us, our family and fur babies. See you soon!

Room Tip: We thoroughly enjoyed rooms 226 and 227. Just remember if you are in room 227 not to leave the bathr...
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 13 January 2014

Hotel Reforma sits on a lovely well-lit street in Central Merida. As others have mentioned, the lobby is beautiful (with wi-fi). If only the lobby's charm had made its way the bedrooms.

Based on the odor its likely the bathroom was built on a skunk burial ground. Later on, we found a new friend in there. His life ended to the tune of “La Cucaracha”.

We were taking out time getting up the first morning, enjoying our vacation, when a maid attempted to break down the door: “No!” we shouted. 3 minutes later she returned with reinforcements: bang bang bang. “No!” Again, 5 minutes later: bang, bang, bang. “No!” Finally, they gave up. The next morning, they kept their hands off our door, but insisted on whistling, yelling, and drumming on buckets.

The continental breakfast had a variety of options: a white, sugary pastry, or a slightly different white, sugary pastry. Condiments included caramel sauce, in case anyone wanted a serving of diabetes with breakfast.

After a day of exploring the city, we were welcomed back to a freshly cleaned room with mouse droppings scattered lovingly across the desk. We concluded that we could co-habitate in peace with our roommates and decided to go to bed. Unfortunately, sleep was foiled by intoxicated swimmers canon balling into the pool at midnight.

If you have a craving for sweets, are not insectophobic or musophobic, hard of hearing, and suffer from anosmia, this would probably be a good fit. Otherwise we recommend a different budget hotel.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank FRIDTJOFNANSEN
Reviewed 8 December 2013

Reforma is located only half a block away from the main square, and a block away in the other direction from the plaza de madre which features nice reastaurants. It is housed in a beautiful old colonial building with high ceilings, a courtyard, swimming pool, and great atmosphere.

The hotel is very clean, with daily fresh towels and linnen, but the common areas are also continously kept very clean, giving it a very santiary feeling, especially for such and old building.

Breakfast is however, marginal: just coffee and tea, and toast with strawberry jam. It is included in the room rates, but i would not consider it more than a complentery morning coffee. Luckily there are plent of affordable places around where you can have breakfast.

The hotel staff is helpful, friendly and correct.

The bathrooms are also clean, and have powerful showers, that unfortunately fail to produce hot water at seemingly random times of day. Most of the time they are fine, but it can be a nuisance to find a lukewarm shower at best in the morning. The rooms are very spacious and have high ceilings. Combined with the aircon and fan available this gives you great control over the room climate at all times.

Room Tip: As to see several rooms. This is a unique building, and so are the rooms within it. Although i do no...
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank Ben2007
Reviewed 24 November 2013

The hotel is perfectly located in Merida historical downtown. It's near the main square, the cathedral and a few blocks away from Paseo Montejo. The staff was very helpful whenever we asked for recommedations of restaurants or places to know in the city. They're so polite!
Our room was clean, with both ventilator and air conditioning, but the bathroom was really small and there was one day we didnt have warm water.
Also, walls seemed to be too thin and you could hear almost everything from next door and we particularly had a loud couple next door.
The continental breakfast they offer could be improved, maybe with some different kind of fruits and not only bananas every day.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple