“Great location but its DIRTY!”
Review of Hotel Reforma

Hotel Reforma
Ranked #16 of 79 Merida B&B and Inns
sydney
“Great location but its DIRTY!”
Reviewed 7 July 2014

The only good thing about it is the location right in the centre of Merida and close to everything. The rooms were dirty!! The pillow in our room had hair on it as if someone had slept on it and not washed the pillow case. There were cockroaches running around the room. We killed about 3 in one night. Our air con didn't work! After getting the reception to come and fix it, its still mediocre.
I wouldn't recommend this hotel to anyone.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank mikosansan

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
  • Indonesian first
Newnan, GA
Reviewed 12 June 2014

We stayed at Hotel Reforma in June 2014 as our base for seeing the Mayan sites on the Puuc Route. The first thing we liked about it was its location. We arrived in Merida by bus and the hotel was only about a 15 minute walk from the CAME terminal. Plus it is only one block north of Merida's historic Zocalo and Cathedral and within a block of a couple of Mayan cooperatives where you can shop for handcrafted authentic Mayan goods. An Oxxo store with an ATM is right next to the Zocalo, making a quick stop for water or cash very convenient. If you plan on renting a car, you'll have a good 25 minute walk to the Fiesta Americana where most of the companies are based but you can take a cab, too. It's not much trouble either way.

The decor is great, with very heavy 'Old Mexico' charm. The pool was heaven after a warm 5 mile morning run in the Mexico humidity. The staff was friendly and helpful. Breakfast is provided but it is very continental in style: fruit and toast mostly. If you like to eat large right out of bed you'll probably need to hit a nearby restaurant after eating at the hotel. You are very well taken care of at breakfast, though. The attendant took time to make us Tamarind juice because we didn't want coffee. Very attentive and helpful service. And that goes for the cleaning service, too. They were above and beyond anything we've experienced in US hotels.

The price is incredible, ours booked for US$30 per night. That rate may be because we went in the low season but, still, the value for the money was out of this world. If you're coming to Merida this is an extremely worthwhile place to stay.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Chris S
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed 23 May 2014

If you are looking for a unique experience/ something traditional to the area, then this is the spot for you! This property sits right in the heart of downtown Merida. The best part is that everything is within walking distance, no car needed! There is a pizzeria next door, a nice little cafe right across the hotel (Cafe Habana) and there are several bar/dining restaurants. We recommend La Catrina, they offer gourmet dishes, live music and delicious cocktails right under the stars. Hotel Reforma is super charming, comfortable, clean, the staff is friendly, some of its amenities include free wifi, a/c, ceiling fans, cable TV, a pool and a limited breakfast in which you'll find coffee and a few Mexican pastries (not much but can't complain)This is the cheapest vacation I have EVER taken so worth the trip. FYI the ADO bus terminal is only a few blocks away, a one way ticket to Cancun costs about $40 USD and is no more than 5 hours away. Also make sure to carry bug repellent at all times!! Oh and make sure to visit Progreso, this beach is 30 minutes away from Merida.

Room Tip: Wifi works best on the first floor (downside, no balcony on the fist floor) Tip the housekeeping la...
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Margie C
Atascadero, California
Reviewed 11 April 2014

We could not have been more pleased with our 9-night stay in this great, historic hotel, located a block from the main plaza. The lobby is adjacent to an atrium, with natural vines providing a tropical, colonial Mexican ambiance. A staircase leads to the upper rooms, and corridors meander to the pool and to other rooms. Be sure to check out your room before you commit: Some of them have no windows, others are immediately adjacent to the atrium or pool, and only some of the upstairs rooms have outdoor balconies overlooking the street.

Our room (204) had a balcony that overlooked a busy street, but we selected the downtown location specifically because we enjoy a lot of walking and we are not ones to complain about "street noise" as a result. The room had two double beds, a small table with chair and a large wardrobe that gave us plenty of room to store our things. Beds were comfortable, with the traditionally Mexican firmness. The ceilings had to be at least 18' high, with the exposed beams and vestiges of old paint that indicate clearly that one is staying in a place where the age is measured in centuries.

We found our room to be clean and comfortable, with working air conditioning, a ceiling fan and a flat-screen television. The double wooden doors to the balcony had shutters that effectively darkened the room at night and during siesta; behind the wooden doors there was a sliding glass door that muffled the street noise and allowed the room to be fully illuminated.

Standard bathroom included a shower with a sliding door. There were two towels (changed daily), but no washcloths or "hand towels." There was also no bathmat, so be cautious about slipping on wet tile floors. Note that we didn't ask for any additional towels or washcloths, so it is possible that they had them. We were satisfied with what we had.

In retrospect, we wish we'd used the pool more than we did. It was large,seldom-used and refreshingly cool (unheated, I would think) but we quickly got used to it. It is open air but is well-shaded, in an area where bougainvillea blossoms drift onto the pool's surface.

Do not expect too much from the breakfast--it is coffee or tea, some fruit, some pan dulce, croissants and both white and brown bread for toasting. For us, it was entirely sufficient to be able to come down to the lobby each morning, read the local newspaper (if your Spanish is up to par), drink some coffee, eat a banana and a piece of pan dulce and catch up on all things internet--note that the wi-fi worked fine in the lobby but did not extend to our room.

Staff was helpful and perfectly friendly, with special kudos going to desk staff Miguel and Cinthia and to our maid, Wilma. We will be back to the Hotel Reforma.

Room Tip: Know what you want, and ask: We liked being on the 2nd floor with a balcony overlooking the street...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Anne_and_Lee
St. Paul/ Minneapolis
Reviewed 4 April 2014

My husband, toddler and I stayed at this hotel as a spur of the moment decision when we decided we needed to get out of Cancun for a couple days on our 2 week winter vacation. The price was great. The free breakfast of traditional bread items and juice is more than what we got at most other hotels and it was all very fresh. The room stayed very cool and the bathroom was a little small but it had good water pressure and warm water, so that is all that mattered. The beds were comfortable. Our room had a nice flat screen tv. We had a great little sitting area outside our hotel door that we lounged around everyday. It was overall very relaxing and I would definitely book here again. Also, it is close to anythign you need, and the front desk is very helpful.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
Sydney
Reviewed 13 March 2014

We stayed two nights at the Hotel Reforma in Merida and were pleasantly surprised. At first the room looked a bit dark and strange, but we quickly got used to it and it was really clean and had air con and a fan so more than adequate.
The bathroom was in the middle of the room and smelt heavily of cigarettes, but once you got over that it was fine. We didn't have toilet paper but the staff were really sweet about it when asked for more.
The wifi only worked for me in the lobby but that was fine!
The location is great, just a block away from the zocalo and plenty of convenience stores and food options around. I'd recommend it for a few nights, but probably not for an extended period of time.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Emma R
Merida, Mexico
Reviewed 23 February 2014

I didn't actually stay at Hotel Reforma, but I did have a great experience with them:
I'm currently staying with a host family in Merida, but in order to go on tours I need to be picked up at a hotel. I just wait outside the hotel for my guide to come. Honestly, I just chose the closest hotel to Plaza Grande, since it's easiest for me to get to.
However, I had an issue with the travel agency and the guide never showed up. I tried calling the agency, but my cell phone wasn't working, so I went into the hotel to ask for help--and helpful they were! I explained upfront that I wasn't staying there, but they still did everything they could for me. They made at least four phone calls themselves to the various people from the travel agency, talked to me while I waited for the agency to call back, and let me use the phone myself for quite a while as I talked to the agency--over half an hour of phone calls! The entire time, the people at the desk were incredibly nice! I didn't feel like they were grudging to do it; they just genuinely wanted to help!
I wouldn't have blamed the people at Hotel Reform if they had turned me away. I wasn't a paying customer, and since I'm with a host family, the chances of my becoming a paying customer anytime soon are minimal; yet, they spent their time and resources helping me. I was awed by their kindness! For me, that's a deciding factor on where I choose to stay, so from now on, I'm recommending this place to others, and I'll be staying there if (whenever) I come back to Merida!
As for the details on the hotel, I did see that the price is great! It's $600 pesos (about $45) a night, and this is for the absolute center of the city--you can't get any closer to Plaza Grande! The price includes a continental breakfast, swimming pool, air conditioning, and discounted tourist services.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled solo