“The safe standard I return to”

Ranked #13 of 105 Hotels in Merida
Reviewed 30 May 2014

My wife and I stay here often because there are no surprises. Consistent, good service from staff and the rooms are nice. The remodeling is over and I am not sure anything is better but now has a different look. The pool appears to have shrunk in size but remains nice. Did not try the new restaurant. The executive floor lounge has a wonderful breakfast and snack hours, the slight increase in room rate for this service is well worth it. The exercise room needs some improvements and additions but if exercise is important you can get an adequate workout in. I don't play tennis but the courts look nice off the exercise room. We were here during a high security meeting for the District Attorneys of Mexico and seeing the gun carrying police everywhere is just a reminder that Mexico does not attempt to be subtle with security. I checked out some boutique hotels for the next trip but suspect I will come back to the Hyatt.

Room Tip: Do access to executive floor lounge
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank orthobike_11
Hyatt_merida, Director de Relaciones Públicas at Hyatt Regency Merida, responded to this reviewResponded 25 August 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for staying at the Hyatt Regency Mérida and for your comments, we really appreciate them. We are glad to know you enjoyed your visit and found our hotel pleasant.

Reviewed 29 May 2014

Pros: The hotel is in a great location. The buses to Cancun and Progresso are right next to the hotel, and it's within walking distance to downtown. If you stay on the exec. lounge, the breakfast is excellent and they provide complimentary appetizers/drinks from 5-8pm. The hotel was relatively quiet given the seemingly high volume of guests. Pool was small but adequate and not crowded when I was there. The gym had no free weights but was otherwise nice.

Cons: Due to a glitch in my reservation which was clearly going to get corrected by my employer (I had the paperwork, reservation, etc.), they refused to put me in the correct room until the next day. Given that I was staying there for 3 weeks and had a lot of luggage, this was a pain and unnecessary. I heard some other complaints from other guests about the front desk staff, but overall they were nice. My room key also kept de-activitating for no reason. Both rooms I stayed in were extremely dark as there was only a tiny window.

Overall, I think this hotel is conveniently located and would recommend it to others, especially if you can stay on the exec floors and have access to the breakfast and evening food options.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business

Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for staying at the Hyatt Regency Mérida and for your comments, we really appreciate them and will work to improve all the things you mention us. We are glad to know you enjoyed your visit and found our hotel pleasant.

Reviewed 10 May 2014

We stayed at this hotel for one night on our way to progeso to meet the cruise. Everything was pretty good for one night, we wanted to explore the city and they gave us instructions. We didn't get to used the hotel facilities (pool) since we were just for one night.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for staying at the Hyatt Regency Mérida and for your comments, we really appreciate them. We are glad to know you enjoyed a pleasant stay.

Reviewed 28 April 2014

I am staying at the hotel the week of 4-24 to 5-2 there are military, local, and state police everywhere roads are barricaded due to this stupid meeting of the presidents of the carribean and latin america.

I am very inconvenienced having to remove all my jewelry wallet bags go through a metal detector just to get to my room. I am not comfortable and cannot relax in the lobby of the hotel while having 20 police military or "secret service" people hanging around. Have to stay in my room and watch spanish only tv.

Room Tip: Stay away from the hotel this week
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank sinister27
Reviewed 24 April 2014

The hotel has been remodeled but only for looks. The pool area is a disaster they have shrunk it so much that with a family with kids you can't swim. People are eating around the pool so napkins and food debri flies into the pool as its a very windy area. The 3 days I was there the water was never clean always cloudy looking even in the morning. The water is freezing not cold freezing! I was told that they also rent the pool area out for parties and when that happens guests can't use the pool WT....is up with that? Also no control as to what guests are wearing in the pool, no jean shorts and a t-shirt are not a swimsuit! Now onto the room, it certainly has seen better days mattress are very hard and uncomfortable. The sheets were old and very worn with even small holes. Around the bathtub there was mold in the caulking. There is a lamp on the desk and bedside lamp which have low yellowish light so the room at night is very dark. The carpet is a dark color and all the furniture and trim has been painted dark brown so it's very dreary. Peregrina restaurant is buffet and very good but breakfast at 210. pesos is pricey IMO because lunch is 145. pesos. The hotel is far from downtown maybe a good 30 minute walk but remember heat and humidity is high here. This Hyatt hotel leaves alot to be desired that's for sure!

Room Tip: There are better more inexpensive hotels in Merida!
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family

Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for staying at the Hyatt Regency Mérida and for your comments, we really appreciate them. We are sorry to hear you had troubles during your stay. We assure you we will be working to improve them to offer you a great experience.

We are looking forward to seeing you soon again

Reviewed 20 April 2014

We stayed at the Hyatt for one night as we were checking out the city. A bit of a walk to downtown (20-30 min) so be prepared to pay for a few taxis ($3-4). Typical Hyatt with great service and amenities - comfortable bed, good wifi, very helpful staff.

If we come back to Merida we would try to stay a little closer to the action to reduce the cabs fares but other than that the hotel was awesome.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 7 April 2014

We have stayed here many time before a flight out of Merida. It has been renovated very nicely. Beautiful lobby, well kept rooms. The beds however are extremely hard and uncomfortable. I wish they would change the beds, if they did it would be a fabulous hotel! Good location and less than a 15 minute drive to the airport.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family