“Great Family Hotel with fabulous views”

Hyatt Regency Merida
Ranked #18 of 103 Hotels in Merida
San Francisco
“Great Family Hotel with fabulous views”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 August 2010

Read some of the reviews and agree that the marble floors in the corridors can lead to quite a bit of noise but overall did not suffer much. Paid extra to get a Club Room which is great value if you are going to use the Internet. Internet is $15 a day so the Club Room which runs about $25 more is only a small amount more and for that you get to be on the top 3 floors 16 thru 18. You also get a continental breakfast which is of very good quality and a 3 hour happy hour with light buffet in the evening!

I really liked the pool and have family living in Merida so was great for the kids to come and enjoy the large pool. The views from the top floor if you are on the opposite side to the pool are great with views of the Centro.

Although a little way out of town it is a 6 peso bus ride or a 25 minute walk into town so not too taxing either way.

If you are looking for a nice hotel with American standards this is a good pick. Staff are friendly without being familiar. Having stayed at the Hacienda Merida for the first half of the trip I did miss being in the Centro and in the history that comes with a traditional older romantic hotel but did have the great pool to entertain.

Really recommend paying the extra for the Club Room which is not something that I normally would do but well worth it for this hotel.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled solo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (64)
  • Polish first
Miami, Florida
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 July 2010

I was in Merida for a family affair and they suggested the Hyatt. The hotel externally looked above average and attractive. I loved the lounge in the lobby; the decor; the restaurant bistro Peregrino and the Fitness Center. My assigned room was 811 and here is where we go down hill. The floor hallway looks elegant and classy. My room had a nice king size bed but the mattress was a rock. The bathroom was spacy and nice. Nice minibar but the items were expensive. In fact bottled water went for $38 pesos whereas across the street at Oxxo's I got it for 8 pesos. So that gives you an idea. My room was pool view and indeed it was nice. Fiesta Americana was across the street from my window view. Wi-fi stunk. I had to pay almost $40 for a 3 day use. Ridiculous. Unfortunately, my room was around the corner from the elevators. Nestled between the elevator and my room was the Maid's storage closet. This made for horrible nights as you can hear the elevator mechanisms taking guests up and down and the elevator doors opening and closing. The maids would come to replenish from the closet door opening and slamming the doors. This drove me crazy.
After a long day of traveling, I decided to take a nap when 20 minutes later, out in the hallway and in front of my room door, was this loud noise of a bunch of people laughing and talking. it turns out that most of the 8th floor was assigned to a large family that were gathering for a wedding and they all were catching up in the hallway. I was ready to call security. I tolerated it for 30 minutes and then they went to their rooms. To compound the problem, the halls are echo-ey so throughout my entire 3 day stay, children would come off the elevator talking, yelling, loudly and running to their rooms while being chased by their siblings and my nerves were frayed. There was a baby opposite my room who was constantly crying. The best part had yet to come. It was the famous wedding party of saturday nite. I went to relax by the pool and have a drink and noticed they were setting up for some event. It turned out that the personnel was setting up for wedding poolside party. Later that evening beginning at around 9pm until 2am, a bunch of people assembled out on the pool where tables and food was set up. A band was brought in and for the next 5 hours there was loud music, singing, dancing. It was blaringly loud and all the hotel guests with pool side view were forcibly invited to the party by having to put up all night with loud music. Needless to say I only had 5 hours of sleep that night and Front Desk received numerous complaints but couldn't do anything about it as the hotel was under contract with the wedding party.

I observed that the hotel staff skims the pool in the mornings for later use but I've noticed that the water was cloudy by the third day and foamy with lotion slipping off people. Made it too disgusting for me to dip in a second time. Most people didn't care as they dipped in anyway...yuck!!

The only good thing I have to say is that the staff are indeed friendly and attentive. The Fitness Center superb. One of the best I've seen. The Peregrino restuarant has a great buffet and the lobby Lounge is nice if you can put up with mosquitoes and heat. The lobby has no A/C.
Tip: You can buy munchies, water, and toiletries across the street at Oxxo's for 40% less. Don't stay in any assigned room that has the number "11" . You will be near the elevator. When you check in ask if during the duration of your stay there will be wedding banquets. If given pool view, request another room that isn't pool view.

I don't think I would go back to this hotel unless I verify if there are any wedding banquets the week I visit. I would rather stay at the Fiesta Americana across the street.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled solo
Sydney
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 June 2010

My husband and I thoroughly enjoyed our time at the Hyatt Regency in Merida. The staff were very friendly and accommodating - we were even convinced to upgrade to the Regency Club rooms. The pool was fantastic, and the location around the hotel was very safe and full of interesting buildings. We enjoyed our time in Merida - we even organised a personal tour out to Chichen Itza and a Cenote - and we would definitely recommend our tour guide, Ivan, for any english speaking tourists who want to visit these sites. We would highly recommend this hotel to anyone coming to Merida!

• Stayed June 2010, travelled as a couple
Houston, Tx
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 April 2010

Honestly, there are so many beautiful little hotels in the city it is a waste to stay here. I only spent one day here, then 5 in another, and the way less expensive was way more impressive.
One huge complaint is the Wifi - I was there for a conference, and the hotel makes you PAY for wifi - why is this so irritating? Most of Merida has free wifi - all the small hotels, parks, and city centers offer free and no password required wifi.
The other main problem is, well, I went to Merida for the culture, and the Hyatt feels like Houston. It was like any other hotel you would pay too much for in the states.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled on business
1 Thank travelintexas79
Northeast
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 April 2010

I attended a conference held here and my husband came along for sightseeing. Our room was clean and comfortable, and the hotel has some nice features, including two restaurants with very good food. The breakfast/lunch spot is especially good, with a fabulous buffet breakfast. It costs more than you'd find elsewhere, but we thought it was well worth it. The hotel is about a mile or so from the center of town and is an easy walk. The pool was very nice. The staff was great: very helpful and accommodating at all times. The hotel also participated in Earth Hour -- a plus in my book!

• Stayed March 2010, travelled on business
1 Thank wegonownortheast
Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 February 2010

We stayed at the Hyatt for three nights while we were visiting friends in the area. Merida is a big city with tons of history. The Historical District takes a few days to really see everything there is to see and experience. The street merchants are a bit overwhelming but they will leave if you show no interest. Some of the girls selling blouses and shawls are children.
The Hyatt is beautiful hotel and the staff are pleasant and friendly. Our stay was only marred by the fact that on our last night, an evening wedding was held on the outside pool deck. The music was loud enough to keep us from sleeping and when on till 12:30 a.m. It may not have been a problem except for the fact we needed to get up at 4:00 a.m. for a flight out at 6:45 a.m. Don't book a room over looking the pool as they hold party functions in that space. Other than that the hotel was great.

• Stayed February 2010, travelled on business
1 Thank TrevorCanada
HRM1, General Manager at Hyatt Regency Merida, responded to this review, 5 April 2010
Dear Trevor,

Thank you for sharing your comments with us about your stay. We will definitely be reviewing the usage of the pool for events late at night.

Thanks you and we look forward to seeing you on your next trip to Merida.
california
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 October 2009

Hyatt Merida -
Friendly staff, great customer service. We had many special requests during our stay at Hyatt Merida, the hotel personnel were able to assist with all of them!!! If you visit Merida, Paseo de Montejo strip is a great location to stay. That is one of the main reasons we chose the Hyatt. They have taxis, horse drawn carriages, Oxxo (similar to a 7 eleven ), police, and money exchange right across the street from the hotel. We used to go downtown during the day and at night come back to the hotel area. Across the street from the Hyatt are other nice hotels like Fiesta Americana, Holiday Inn, and Hotel Intercontinental. You can take a bus at the Fiesta Americana to visit the pyramids and other attractions. The weather in Merida is hot and humid, but definitely a fun city to visit-- culture, history, traditions. We took amazing photos there!!! Hyatt Merida is a clean hotel, it has a swimming pool & jacuzzi and AC. If you are looking for a safe place to relax after discovering the city, this will be the perfect location. Good for couples, families with kids, and business travelers.

• Stayed October 2009, travelled as a couple