“Expect rooms in an old mansion and a modern high-rise building was”

Mision Merida Panamericana
Ranked #9 of 106 Hotels in Merida
Reviewed 7 May 2014

The rooms are large and clean, but! rooms are built-on high-rise building, and not in the building of the mansion. Air conditioners are old and very noisy. And the location is not very convenient and not close enough to the center. You can only pay in the local currency at disadvantageous exchange rate, dollars are not accepted. The pool is big and messy.
Therefore, the hotel did not live up to expectations, and their money is not worth it.
The only plus - there wi-fi free in the rooms and free parking.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
direct0rH0tel, Gerente at Mision Merida Panamericana, responded to this reviewResponded 3 June 2014

Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to send us your valuable comments which we are checking to correct the details that you have mentioned, we are about to finish putting A / A mini split in the hotel as well as the remodeling of our beautiful pool . We are checking the issue of payments so they can pay by card in your local currency.

There are newer reviews for Mision Merida Panamericana

Reviewed 9 June 2013

Let me start that reading the reviews here I'd never in my mind would've stayed in such a place. Unfortunately the travel agency promised us a 4 star hotel in Merida and I was dumb enough not to do my homework and ask them the name of it. The only good thing about this hotel is the WiFi - the speed was excellent. Everything else was a disaster from the rooms without decorations to the absence of slippers, bathrobes, minibar, safe, etc. The breakfast was terrible. The beds are not comfortable at all. We got one key to the room. In the morning when I asked them about the star rating of this exceptional place (I couldn't locate any stars wherever) they hesitated and after exchanging some Spanish words with the manager told me that they are a four stars hotel. Lies! Also this hotel is quite expensive in comparison to other four or even five star hotels in the area. We found a five star hotel that was cheaper than this one for the same dates, others were 5-10 dollars more expansive. I would not recommend anyone to spent their time here.

Room Tip: Go to an another hotel
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank mekvn
direct0rH0tel, Gerente at Mision Merida Panamericana, responded to this reviewResponded 8 October 2013

Dear guest,

We are very sorry about the inconvenience that our hotel could have caused during your stay. Just we want to send this brief note to apologize. We welcome your valuable comments which will be used to correct and improve our services.

Please, accept our more sincere excuses.

We are looking forward to serving you in your next visit to this beautiful city.

Reviewed 14 May 2013

We stayed here for 3 nights, the location is very good, we liked the hotel's architecture and the service in general, we didn't eat anything at the hotel because Merida and the surroundings has a lot to offer in food. We got a large room which of course had a lot of space, the bathroom was OK, the bed to us wasn't soft enough and the air conditioning a bit noisy, the pillows were not the best either but after a long day the experience was not that bad but definitely they need to improve on this. It wasn't the best hotel we have ever stayed but it was above average mainly because of the location and price, when you are in a city where you will walk a lot the location matters.

Stayed: April 2013, travelled with friends

Dear guest,

Thank you very much for your valuable comments which will be corrected to improve your experience at Misión Mérida Panamericana.

We are looking forward to serve you on your next visit to this beautiful city.

Reviewed 2 May 2013

I had travelled with a group of friends to Merida for a pageant. We were to stay 3 nights). We had chosen this hotel given the proximity to downtown. Let me be fair by naming the good and bad things.

Good: lovely architecture, nice lighting inside, breakfast is good, has a nice looking pool (trust me the pool is only pretty to watch, not to go & bathe in it), renovations were being made at the time (which means they are taking time to make it prettier and nicer), proximity to downtown, the lovely love/coin fountain at the entrance.

Bad: the rooms are in dire need of some color. Every thing from the tiles, curtains, bed sheets, pillows are the colors black and white. It gave me a sort of gloomy/sad feeling each time I entered the room. I don't think it should be that way. Some sort of painting(s) should be added to the wall for color or atleast maybe a vase of flowers.
The pool: we had longed to just jump in the pool cos it looked so inviting, so on our final day we bought some beers & went around the pool. I was the first to jump and I came out about 10 seconds after because the water was sooooooooo cold. My friends were teasing me cos they said it couldn't possibly be that cold, so I dared them to jump in. (I took out my video camera and had fun videoing each of their funny expressions when they jumped in and realized how freezing the water was)... so no one stayed in the pool. They all jumped out almost as fast as they had jumped in. lol.

One key: I was sharing my double room with one friend, but i reached there almost at 5:00 am and had wanted to just sleep after the long night's travel. When I was given my hotel key, I told them my friend was to reach about 2 hours later, so they said they were going to call me to wake me up when he reaches so I can open the door because they only had one key for the room. It just sounded crazy and exhausting so i just went to open my room then walked back all the way down reception again and told them to not wake me up but to rather give him the key when he arrived because I would be sleeping.

Anyway, overall, the weekend with the friends was nice...if you asked me if I would stay there again..maybe not, unless my friends decide to stay there again and I wouldn't want to be the odd one out. lol

Room Tip: take a picture with the coin fountain in the background :)
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled with friends
direct0rH0tel, Gerente at Mision Merida Panamericana, responded to this reviewResponded 15 October 2013

Dear Leeah,

Thank you for your kind comments which are valuable for us to correct and improve the details that you have mentioned.

We are looking forward to serve you on your next visit to show you all the improvements to our services and facilities.

Reviewed 21 March 2013

Nothing is missing, but given the hotel's ancient architectural beauty, it would be worth investing in remodeling corridors and rooms that would make it a true classic hotel. Having all that kind of baroque art, needs to bee cleaned more constantly in those small nooks that are easily to catch dust.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank PatMDG
Reviewed 5 July 2012

I have stayed at this hotel many times. It is in a pretty good location for staying in Merida Centro. The front part of the building is a restored mansion the back where the hotel rooms are located seem to have been built in the 1960's. Getting the 'right' room can be a bit hit or miss. I've gotten a huge room nearly a suite ( with seperate sitting room) to small & dinky with outdated bathroom. They actually do have some really nice rooms with very nicely upgraded bathrooms. The trick is to try to check in on the early side and simply ask at the reception desk that you be put in a room with one of the newer bathrooms and they will. No extra charge. A couple of times one of the hotel staff have taken me to a couple of rooms & let me pick which one I'd prefer to stay in.
They do have wifi and inexpensive room service here . The room service staff are really quick. Even if you only order a Coke & some ice they will be there in a couple of minutes very happy to serve you. I don't reccomend the breakfast buffet , I had that once and it was pretty dismal. What ever you order from the room service or courtyard restaurant is alright , not fabulous but the prices are so reasonable that you don't care.
This hotel is located just a few blocks from the central Mercado (shopping district) and from the Central Square of the city where the Cathedral is located. As well they do have a later check out time of 1pm which can be pretty handy if you'd like to do something outside the hotel in the morning.

Room Tip: Make sure that you ask for a better bathroom or you will end up with one of the ones with an old din...
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 8 March 2012

The Hotel is a old building, hacienda style. However, the lack of maintenance of it make it look cheap. It is a shame as the building is hacienda style and it would be beautiful completed restored.

The room was wide but the details on it making to look so bad. The tub was and old one just cover in white paint and with rust on it.

The only thing that was outstanding was the service provided by the staff. Definitely, the front desk staff and waiters at the restaurant for dinner were very pleasant and quick accomplishing all the requests done to them.

The pictures shown at the website where I booked, where not accurate and if I could know how it really look like for sure I could pic another option where to stay the night.

Room Tip: If you need a place near downtown for sure you can find a better option to sleep than this!!!
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled on business