“Very nice Hotel” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #9 of 103 Hotels in Merida
California
“Very nice Hotel”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 September 2009

The old Hotel Mision Merida was old and dilapidated so they acquired what was formerly a Hotel Calinda. When one enters the Hotel from the front entrance the sight is awesome with the plants and fountain in the solarium in the center of the hotel. The new location is a few more blocks from El Zocalo (the town plaza) but still a great location. Right next door is a well known restaurant, Las Almendras, where one can experience some very fine traditional Yucatan cuisine. All the rooms are spacious and have free WIFI. I found the staff to be very helpful and accommodating. If you want to go to Chitzen Itza, a must see for a first time visitor to the Yucatan, they have transportation available every day. At the rear of the hotel is a large swimming pool and covered dining area. I expect to return to Merida quite soon and I will most certainly stay at this hotel.

• Stayed January 2008, travelled solo
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
  • Hebrew first
ocfelix26
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 August 2008

I hate to give this hotel a terrible review because the staff was very corteous and professional (for the most part). However, the hotel conditions were hard to ignore. The hotel looked as if it hadn't been maintained over the years, it was somewhat creepy, especially at night. I was amazed to see so much old stuff that still worked, our beds were not comfortable and in need of replacement. The bathroom looked as if it'd been rennovated but we found that the toilet didn't work, my wife had to go down and ask them to switch our room, they said they would send someone up to fix it. Someone came up to look at it and then told us we would have to move. The person at the front desk looked at us as if we were an inconvenience and hesitantly assigned us another room. Aside from this person, the rest of the staff was very friendly and highly professional. But like I said you get 5 star service in a 1 star hotel.

• Disliked — The hotel is an eyesore, don't let the fancy entrance and lobby fool you
  • Stayed July 2008, travelled as a couple
      Check-in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank ocfelix26
Eugene, Oregon
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 August 2007

This facility is clean and comfortable.

They have a restaurant on-site, which I can not get to due to restricted mobility.

I stayed at the hotel for several days. I was not within easy distance of a restaurant, so every morning I called room service for a very simple breakfast. I ordered the same item off the menu each morning, but each morning I was charged a different amount, and each day the price was higher than the day before.

When I asked, I was told that the person who waited on me the day before had made a mistake on the bill.

• Liked — Clean, comfortable, room price is reasonable; centrally located.
  • Disliked — Room service -- I do not like being scammed on the prices.
  • Stayed September 2006, travelled on business
      Check-in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
Valparaiso
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 February 2007

not enough towels left n the room - got little red bumps from the sheets/mites? when we checked out they made us pay for our room even though we had a package deal - nearly missed our return flight as no manager on site - then when he came he ran upstairs and never came down - seems they don't know how to use a computer - took money fast enough though. took us over two months to get our refund. won't stay there again.

Stayed December 2006
6 Thank juanandtwo
Lorton, VA
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 October 2006

This 100 years old hotel located 3 blocks from main historic plaza, although convenient, is in urgent need of remodeling. The rooms are gloomy, and the rattan furniture is worn out. The whites are old and smelly. The rates are too high for this kind of quality. There is not even an alarm clock in the room, and the key system is so outdated it reminded me of the punch card Hollerith system.

The staff is courteous and efficient, however, at the end of the day, that does not quite cut it.

muyserio_usa@yahoo.com

Stayed October 2006
6 Thank muyserio_usa
A TripAdvisor Member
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 December 2005

Mision Merida was a huge disappontment. The source of my dismay was with the promised but undelivered services. I was informed complimentary breakfast had a different meaning when translated to Spanish. A complimentary breakfast cost us 150 peso per person. I consulted a Spanish/English dictionary and I was unable to find an alternate meaning for complimentary. It means gift. The hotel management informed me that they had a translation problem and that they would get back with me. They never did. I felt like I was deceived.

• Stayed December 2005
11 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
A TripAdvisor Member
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 December 2005

For the price this really is the worst hotel in Merida. My stay was a nightmare. At first glance my room looked okay, but then after using the shower, there was a terrible smell in the room, it was like living in a sewer. I tried to have the problem fixed, but the handyman told me that there is a problem with the plumbing in the hotel, and it affects most of the rooms, and it can only be fixed temporarily. So I switched rooms, and the second room had dirty sheets, and was very uncomfortable. I then went around Merida looking for another hotel, it was not long before I found one that was much better and for the same price. Actually there are several hotels in Merida much cheaper, and much better than Mision Merida. Some of the staff in the hotel were nice decent people, but for the most part they were rude and incompetent. Especially the manager of the front desk, who found it hilarious that I was not happy in my room. The manager was giving me a hard time about leaving the hotel. After having to spend my time arguing with the manager, I was able to leave. The hotel I moved to was much better, cleaner, and included much more with the room for the same price.

• Stayed December 2005