“Lucky you checked this...i didn't!!!”
Review of Hotel Colon

Hotel Colon
Ranked #80 of 103 Hotels in Merida
backpack
“Lucky you checked this...i didn't!!!”
Reviewed 3 November 2008

After 8 months of travel (including months of camping) my experience at the colon hotel was the worst of my trip so far.

The vast majority of the rooms are dark, small, dirty, stained and falling apart plus smell of either must or cigarettes. Granted there are 1 or two Ok rooms but getting the rude staff to show you one of these nicer rooms will be difficult. After being shown 3 terrible rooms only after a tip were we given a half decent one despite earlier pleas of “we are full”.

In addition to the above hot water is not always available, there is no wifi (every password given to me failed and no help forthcoming!!!!), no English channels on TV, holes in the towels, the elevator rarely works and the place needs a really good scrub but the lazy housekeepers are unlikely to do this anytime soon.

All this for the bargain (sarcasm) price of around US$60 a double.

My advice would be: if you need a cheap room with parking, a fan, a bed and bathroom check out the hotel adventuras ([-]), its only 200pesos a room and great value (stayed there for 4 nights). If you have 50 bucks to spend see trip advisors number 1 pick, I should have.

If your looking for great value luxury check out Villa Marias on Calle 59 [-]). A suite with one queen bed in US$100, the master suite with 2 beds is US$125 and it is heaven compared to Hotel Colon that charges the same amount. Plus it has a superb restaurant.

Note all these prices were mid season so if your thinking of going to Hotel Colon in high season you’ll pay even more for a very ordinary stay plus pay more for tips and internet that you thought was free and wish you had taken my advice.

• Liked — The really rude staff and cigarette smell in rooms
  • Disliked — arriving
  • Stayed October 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
England
Reviewed 20 March 2008

I stayed here because it was just before Easter and the town was very full. I was not expecting much, but this was the worst night I have ever had in a hostel or hotel.

The room I was given was huge, but dirty and oven hot. A huge cracked mirror dominated the room. The air conditioning was broken, and despite complaints, was not fixed. This meant that I had to sleep with the windows open right next to a bar thumping out loud music with mosquitos taking juicy bites out of me.

But worse was to come, I woke up covered in little red spots, fleas! They were hopping all over the bed, but I hadnt noticed them earlier on in my heat and noise induced fatigue. When I told the receptionist, all I got was a "thank you for telling me!"

The friends I was with, had better luck, with their air con and I was the only one with fleas, but even so, I will never go back there again.

• Liked — The pool was good
  • Disliked — The fleas in my bed, broken air conditioning, staff disinterest
  • Stayed October 2008
    • Check-in / front desk
1 Thank alipal1

Travellers are raving about these Merida hotels

St. Petersburg, Florida
Reviewed 27 May 2006

The staff at the Hotel Colon was extremely helpful and friendly. The room was very clean, spacious and quiet. The beds were very comfortable. The room was tucked back in the hallway and was a bit dark, but not totally awful.
The down side of this hotel.... the pool was totally green and unusable, almost like they ran out of money to buy the chemicals to treat it. They also apparently have some water issues. We came back in the afternoon after a hot day of sightseeing, all set to take a nice shower....no water. We called the front desk and they said it would be an hour or so. Ok, so we rested for an hour and the water was indeed back on. I took a shower, with my husband opting to wait unit we came back from our evening outing. Back at 1000PM...again, no water. Back on about 30 minutes later.

There are many hotel choices in Merida at this price point and I would not choose this hotel again.

• Stayed May 2006
7 Thank Born2go
san francisco
Reviewed 22 July 2005

While it's cheap - the photos on the web site are not very accurate. The rooms are dumpy, as are the bathrooms (shower doesn't drain properly water on the floor). And extremely dark. Decent pool and public spaces. But there are many hotels in Merida to choose from.

• Stayed May 2005
6 Thank jerryjeff
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 18 October 2003

The Hotel Colon is one block from the main square in Merida. The hotel is clean and well furnished. There are individually controlled air conditioners in the rooms, and remote controlled televisions. The staff is quite helpful - laundry left at 8AM was returned in the afternoon, with the money found inside the pockets returned before the laundry!

Jose Juan is a very helpful employee and took a reservation over the telephone. He also provided information about the town and driving directions. Not all of the staff speaks English, Jose Juan speaks english quite well.

The hotel is just 1 1/2 block from the Casa del Balam, and the Hotel Mission Merida ( both fine as well) yet half of the price. The hotel has a dining room and steam baths, however I did not use either one, but the dining room seemed busy at meal times.

The is paid parking 1/2 block away from the hotel the overnight rate was $50 Pesos, and the car was quite safe and never disturbed. You keep the keys.

I will again stay at the Hotel Colon next time I am in Merida.

9 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 18 March 2003

We had our first night in Merida reserved at this hotel (thru the internet) and were very disappointed in the room they showed us. We declined and found a better room, better rate at the Dolores Alba. The Lobby is beautiful though, but deceptive. Sorry, I hate to do this, but that is how I saw it.

8 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Monte-Carlo, Monaco
Reviewed 23 January 2003

We stayed here twice in January 2003, at the beginning and end of a week-long tour of the peninsula. The first time was a disaster - the room terrible, service very disinterested, restaurant closed (it was new year's day). The second night felt as though we were in a different hotel entirely. This place has some quirks, but $61 for a double room so close to the Zocalo was good value, parking is relatively easy and the public areas of the hotel are charming. Don't take room 232 unless they have refurbished the bathroom.

7 Thank Moth