“Modest hotel, but stay on top floors”
Review of Hotel Colon

Hotel Colon
Ranked #82 of 104 Hotels in Merida
Mexico
“Modest hotel, but stay on top floors”
Reviewed 12 February 2011

I wasn´t expecting too much out of this hotel, after all it was a pretty cheap deal, i thought.

I went with my couple for a 3 night stay, and I was assigned one of the lower level rooms as they offered me a king size bed room and these rooms are at the lower level. However, this part of the hotel is the oldest and least cared for. Always ask for a room anywhere else than the bottom floor.

I had a chance to peek at the 2nd and 3rd floor rooms and these newer, much cleaner and more inviting to stay. On my personal experience I had a bath room with falling tiles, and a faucet that had humus and fungus. In the shower I had to wait 20 minutes before hot water came out.

Pluses are that this hotel is conviniently located on Merida downtown, and it has a friendly staff. The price is good, as long as you get a 2nd or third floor room.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank M0chilaz0

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Cancun, MX
Reviewed 15 November 2010

The hotel web site is very deceiving. The rooms are dark and not very clean. The air conditioners are old and very LOUD. I tried three different rooms trying to find an air conditioner that was even reasonably quiet... no luck. There are better options out there for the price.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled on business

Travellers are raving about these Merida hotels

Ipswich, England
Reviewed 27 May 2009

This was the worst hotel out of the 8 I stayed in, in a 2 week period. The rooms are dark, smelly, uncomfortable and very very old. We thought our room was part of a convent or something. We are two single girls but were given a double bed only, when they knew we needed two. The pool was rubbish, everything was so disappointing. We tried to order a snack, which they advertise they can do, but they couldn't do anything but chips, not even guacamole - I thought that's all they ate. The restuarant was small, looked more like a cafe.

On the plus side, the location was very good for the town and the breakfast was lovely. But I suggust you stay anywhere else if you are able to.

• Stayed April 2009, travelled with friends
1 Thank tools_11
Kerrville, Texas
Reviewed 12 March 2009

We stayed here one night on our way home from Celestun. The 1st room they showed us I walked right out. It was like something out of a horror movie a dark room the bathroom light didn't work. I told my husband no way even he agreed and he'll sleep anywhere! We went to the front desk and they moved us to another room which was acceptable (we were there for 1night) We made friends with the bartender he was a very nice guy keep in mind most of the staff doesn't speak English my husband and I do so it wasn't a problem. If you're just looking for a place to spend the night for around $50USD this place is perfect the grounds are nice as are the steam rooms. The rooms are nothing to ride home about, but the staff is friendly. I'd recomend a B&B for around the same price you could have so much more.

• Stayed October 2008, travelled as a couple
1 Thank erin5000
backpack
Reviewed 3 November 2008

After 8 months of travel (including months of camping) my experience at the colon hotel was the worst of my trip so far.

The vast majority of the rooms are dark, small, dirty, stained and falling apart plus smell of either must or cigarettes. Granted there are 1 or two Ok rooms but getting the rude staff to show you one of these nicer rooms will be difficult. After being shown 3 terrible rooms only after a tip were we given a half decent one despite earlier pleas of “we are full”.

In addition to the above hot water is not always available, there is no wifi (every password given to me failed and no help forthcoming!!!!), no English channels on TV, holes in the towels, the elevator rarely works and the place needs a really good scrub but the lazy housekeepers are unlikely to do this anytime soon.

All this for the bargain (sarcasm) price of around US$60 a double.

My advice would be: if you need a cheap room with parking, a fan, a bed and bathroom check out the hotel adventuras ([-]), its only 200pesos a room and great value (stayed there for 4 nights). If you have 50 bucks to spend see trip advisors number 1 pick, I should have.

If your looking for great value luxury check out Villa Marias on Calle 59 [-]). A suite with one queen bed in US$100, the master suite with 2 beds is US$125 and it is heaven compared to Hotel Colon that charges the same amount. Plus it has a superb restaurant.

Note all these prices were mid season so if your thinking of going to Hotel Colon in high season you’ll pay even more for a very ordinary stay plus pay more for tips and internet that you thought was free and wish you had taken my advice.

• Liked — The really rude staff and cigarette smell in rooms
  • Disliked — arriving
  • Stayed October 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
England
Reviewed 20 March 2008

I stayed here because it was just before Easter and the town was very full. I was not expecting much, but this was the worst night I have ever had in a hostel or hotel.

The room I was given was huge, but dirty and oven hot. A huge cracked mirror dominated the room. The air conditioning was broken, and despite complaints, was not fixed. This meant that I had to sleep with the windows open right next to a bar thumping out loud music with mosquitos taking juicy bites out of me.

But worse was to come, I woke up covered in little red spots, fleas! They were hopping all over the bed, but I hadnt noticed them earlier on in my heat and noise induced fatigue. When I told the receptionist, all I got was a "thank you for telling me!"

The friends I was with, had better luck, with their air con and I was the only one with fleas, but even so, I will never go back there again.

• Liked — The pool was good
  • Disliked — The fleas in my bed, broken air conditioning, staff disinterest
  • Stayed October 2008
    • Check-in / front desk
1 Thank alipal1
St. Petersburg, Florida
Reviewed 27 May 2006

The staff at the Hotel Colon was extremely helpful and friendly. The room was very clean, spacious and quiet. The beds were very comfortable. The room was tucked back in the hallway and was a bit dark, but not totally awful.
The down side of this hotel.... the pool was totally green and unusable, almost like they ran out of money to buy the chemicals to treat it. They also apparently have some water issues. We came back in the afternoon after a hot day of sightseeing, all set to take a nice shower....no water. We called the front desk and they said it would be an hour or so. Ok, so we rested for an hour and the water was indeed back on. I took a shower, with my husband opting to wait unit we came back from our evening outing. Back at 1000PM...again, no water. Back on about 30 minutes later.

There are many hotel choices in Merida at this price point and I would not choose this hotel again.

• Stayed May 2006