“Almost Robbed..if not for our screams for help!!!”
Review of Montejo Palace

Montejo Palace
Ranked #91 of 103 Hotels in Merida
Belmopan, Cayo, Belize
“Almost Robbed..if not for our screams for help!!!”
Reviewed 19 March 2012

Two women on a trip to Merida for medical reasons and we were able to get a room at Hotel Motejo Palace as a last resort...at 1:30 am on Sunday morning we awoke to the load banging of the room door...at that time of morning the hotel should be quiet as people are asleep! We tried calling the front desk to notify them of this horrible noise and no reply...the loud banging continued and then the breaking of one of the door panels, which sounded like the entire door was coming down..we quickly grabbed our purses with passports and cash and opened the door which lead to balcony and started to scream for help...not long after some other guest opened up to find out what was going on. In a matter of seconds the security showed up with a lame excuse of them repairing the front door..yeah sure at 1am who does that to their guests!!! The lies they all told were too different and we knew they were all in on trying to rob us and hurt us!!! Please don't ever stay at this hotel...http://www.hotelmontejopalaceyucatan.com/ppc/?gclid=CP33zYW59K4CFUmc7QoduTsNLg
After the horrible fright and them all leaving our room...my sister went down to pay them...and the manager told her..you did not have to come pay now!! so why in heavens did they break the door to try to collect for the night that we should not have paid for as when we arrived and checked in it was Saturday at 5am...and they did all this on Sunday at 1:30 am!!! That was not right and I just warn young ladies travelling together check rooms for and escape route if in the event this happens to you and don't ever stay at HOTEL MONTEJO PALACE IN MERIDA!!!

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
5 Thank Leilanni B

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
  • Polish first
Riviera Maya
Reviewed 14 May 2010

This hotel is in very poor shape,the elevator is terrible,the halls rugs are old and worn.The room had roaches and the A/C put out a trickle of cold air.In some cities of the world this would be considered a flop house.Only positive were the people who worked at this hotel,very nice and very helpfull.

Stayed May 2010, travelled on business
4 Thank slware13

Travellers are raving about these Merida hotels

Bad Reichenhall
Reviewed 9 May 2010

First the Price it was more or less OK but a small Fight to get the same Price as they offert (and confirmed) me on the Homepage (i made a Reservation online).
Nobody knew nothing about my Reservation it looks like they don´t check their E-Mails.
No the "sleepingquality" it was terrible as i went to Bed (01:30) i slept for 15 mins. than it was over with the quietness somebody came home but that loud, i couldn´t hear the Air Condition (wich was the biggest Noise until this Moment).
The Walls there must be out of Paper you can here anything more than a half Hour later at least it was normal Quiet and I slept until 07:30 in the morning than comes the cleaning Brigade and waked up all the People in the Hotel it was terrible loud (it was Sunday morning) so it was over and out with sleeping, now I need another Day to recreate myself .
The Breakfast was almost the same ugly (it´s not included) they charged me 48 Pesos for a Cup of Fluid wich they called "Coffee" 3 pieces of spongy Toast some Grease it´s called Butter and an Orangejuice it beggars all description.
If there is a next Time i safe the Money for a more digestible Breakfast .

• Stayed May 2010, travelled solo
1 Thank Andreas004
Slovenia
Reviewed 29 April 2010

We made a reservation for this hotel over the internet and payed 10 USD advance. one of my friends arrived to Merida before us (and luckily stayed at another hotel) and went himself to Montejo Palace to check if everything was okay and if they expected us. They told him everything was fine and they confirmed our reservation. We arrived to Merida past midnight due to terrible domestic flights in Mexico. When we got to Montejo Palace, we could not believe our ears as the receptionist said everything was full and they didn't have a room for us. We thought there was a mistake and they would find a room for us but they didn't. They all said they knew we were coming but apparently a large group arrived that same day before us and they gave them our room as well! They didin't even bother to try to find us a room in another hotel since it was 1 a.m. and our first night in Mexico. Unfortunately we were too jet-lagged to argue with them and just went away, extremely disappointed and angry. This was undoubtely the worst experience with hotels in Mexico. Shame on them!

• Stayed July 2009, travelled with friends
3 Thank Izletnik
Cancun
Reviewed 1 March 2010

I stayed here with friends this past weekend, and we had a great time.

Pros:

The location couldn't be better: right in the heart of Merida's Paseo Montejo! Everything was close-by. On Sunday morning, our side of the street was closed off for Family Day, and we went for a morning walk along with families of bikers, dog walkers, skaters, etc., followed by breakfast at a nearby market. Great morning!

The service was very attentive. We never had to ask for help with our bags. One day I called and asked for toothpaste, which they didn't have. However, they offered various times to run out and buy some for me! I asked for an iron and it was at my door in 5 minutes.

We stayed on the sixth floor, and the views from both rooms were gorgeous thanks to big windows and a small balcony. (see pics)

The room was one of the cleanest I've seen. First time in Mexico that I could walk around barefoot and got no dust on my feet!

The garden and pool area is gorgeous! I wish we'd had more time to hang out there.

Big closets

Cable tv! With channels in English!

Cons:

We never got hot water. Since I live in Mexico, I'm used to it and it wasn't a big deal. We never brought it up with the front desk, so I'm not sure what the problem may have been.

We got a double room, which has a separate living room. The problem was that the tv was in the living room, not the bedroom, which was a bit inconvenient for us.

The hotel definitely needs a bit of work, mainly in its hallways, curtains and elevator. Its age definitely shows, even though the rooms, gardens and lobby are nicely kept-up.

Half of the outlets in the bedroom didn't work. It took me awhile to figure out that my phone wasn't charging.

To sum up, it was the perfect hotel for us. We only paid $420 pesos per room for the night, and we felt it was well worth it! There were a few minor inconveniences, but we're not picky and overall the great views and perfect location made up for any negatives there may have been.

I hope this hotel invests some money in modernizing a bit. With a bit of a facelift, it would quickly become the best hotel on Paseo Montejo.

• Stayed February 2010, travelled with friends
Maryland
Reviewed 29 December 2009

I am surprised at the negative ratings listed here and their vehemence. We stayed one night at Montejo Palace on April 7, 2009, because we had to turn in a rental car nearby and catch a plane early on April 8. I made my reservation by telephone with Rosa Maria Suarez, who was polite, cheerful and efficient. I don't recall the rate, but I was pleasantly surprised upon arrival to receive a rate lower than Srta. Maria had quoted. Desk staff was very friendly and efficient, and the bellman was extremely helpful. Yes, the hotel was old, but our room was clean, comfortable and acceptably quiet. My wife is a clean freak and not only did she not complain, but I asked her again just now and she verified my opinion that it was a pretty decent place to stay. The staff did particularly well considering they had a load of high school kids the same night, which might have explained some chaos had there been any. There was not.

Desk staff awakened us in plenty of time the following morning. The bellman got us a cab and was right on time to cheerfully take our voluminous luggage down. After 3 months in Mexico, we had a load.

The only thing that was slightly disappointing was the restaurant, but it was okay & I usually don't expect 5 star food at a reasonably priced hotel restaurant.

I certainly would stay here again, & in fact intend to on January 31. The staff was what made it so good.

Stayed April 2009, travelled as a couple
2 Thank wattlestomper
Canada
Reviewed 14 November 2009

Good price, but noisy, unable to sleep. Cancelled my stay after 1 night. I don't usually care about cockroaches in the bathroom, but when they are on the bed, it is time to change hotels.

• Stayed November 2009, travelled on business