“One of the most Beautiful hotel in Merida” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Casa Mexilio Guest House

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Merida
Casa Mexilio Guest House
Ranked #31 of 83 Merida B&B and Inns
New York City, New York
“One of the most Beautiful hotel in Merida”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 January 2012

Beautiful, beautiful hotel with history, I stayed Motel Marionetas before I stayed this hotel because of review I read Trip advisor, Casa Mexillo is much more nicer. Hotel staff are so kind and very good service, quiet and unique rooms plus just so beautiful. Breakfast is also quite nice, fresh fruits juice and eggs of your choice. Location is very convenient to access the restaurant and shopping area only 5-10 min. of walking. and center of the city. Best roof top garden patio to relax, not only one there is 4 different cosy roof top garden patio to relax and enjoy the view. By the way room dose not have TV and refrigerator just let you know if you care, but very good wireless internet service.
I am very happy to find this hotel and I am making plan to come bak this hotel again. Highly recommend.

Room Tip: Enrique Granados room is very quiet and clean bathroom, Manual de Fella room is quite nice and uniqu...
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled solo
1 Thank Yoko K

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Danville, Kentucky
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 January 2012

I had visited Casa Mexilio many times but this was my first time to stay, and I was not disappointed. The interior features inviting paths and stairways leading to secluded rooms on various levels, many with their own terraces. The vegetation is lush, with a lagoon-like pool, giving the place a feel that is at once tropical jungle, stately old colonial home, intriguing labyrinth, and impressionist painting (a bridge above the pool evokes Monet's garden at Giverny). The decor is sumptuous, full of interesting art and antiques, and each room is elegantly appointed. Some are quite dark, but ample lighting makes up for this. There is no place quite like this gem. Its charming uniqueness is one of its best features. The breakfasts were superb and the settings (either in the hotel's second floor dining room/bar, or in the courtyard of the house across the street) are delightful. The staff was friendly and helpful (although sometimes hard to locate). Yes, Roger can be surly, as other reviews have suggested. He's not very interested in providing recommendations, etc. But he is very knowledgeable and unfailingly interesting when one is lucky enough to get a conversation going. And when we got sick because of something we ate in town, he called a doctor who came directly to the hotel to tend to us. Staff members also came to the door with extra food intended specifically for ailing stomachs. This was generous and unexpected hospitality at its best.
One minor complaint: Resident cats can be very noisy at night.

Room Tip: Rooms in back (furthest from street) are dark and they back up to a dance hall that has very loud mu...
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled with friends
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 October 2011

A most unique experience. We were sad to leave when we did and would definitely recommend Casa Mexilio. Anyone with an interest in history, antiques, gorgeous tile floors and a layout that would impress MC Esher, should not hesitate to stay here. Sure, you will get sweaty going up and down the many stairs, but Merida is sweaty anyway so what's the big deal? We found the owners Roger and Jorge to be charming - though they do need a little encouragement before they come alive. The staff were great, helpful and overall it was an amazing experience. Breakfasts were divine! Great location as well.

• Stayed September 2011
1 Thank RufusTiger
Richmond, Indiana
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 August 2011

This is my second time in Merida and Casa Mexilio. I booked Casa Mexilio’s room for 14 days as I wanted to get to know Merida on its terms rather than my time constraints. Casa Mexilio’s location in Centro is very central as it’s only a few blocks from the main square. There is a doctor nearby, ½ block away, a dentist, 1 block away, and a homeopath across the street. (I was there to see the dentist primarily. I have never had better dental care than my new dentist there.) There’s a wonderful mercado behind the restaurant, a very quaint restaurant, and a plaza where salsa is often danced. The neighbors all live in similar looking houses and are all simpaticos to a fault. Everyone says buenos dias, tardes, noches in Merida. And, on many occasions, I was referred to as “Caballero” or Don Richar (forget the d!). In my last review, I sang the beauties of Casa Mexilio during my first stay there. Let me say that this time around, I had more time to photograph both buildings’ nooks and crannies as this guest house is photogenic to a fault. Everywhere one looks is an artful photo op. Frommer’s lauded Casa Mexilio for the most inventive use of space in all of Merida, and rightly so! One of the rooms I stayed in used the back of an armoire as a bed head. I did warn the ownership that I was going to copy some of their inventive touches. Having said that, had Frida Kahlo had been a designer instead of a painter, Casa Mexilio is what she would have produced as a Mexican hotel. Yes, there are lots of stairs but this is Mexico of 200 years ago and the buildings reflect that time epoch. There are actually two buildings, the main hotel and the colonial house across the street. Breakfast is held in the house’s charming fruit treed courtyard every morning consisting of coffee, freshly baked bread, papaya marmalade, aguas frescas, fresh fruit course and the main breakfast item (usually a choice of two). Carlos, Casa’s factotum, is going to chef school and prides himself in his sumptuous breakfasts, always supervised and critiqued by the long-time experienced direction of Roger Lynn, one of two owners. Roger is a fountain of knowledge about all things Mexico. He is a dual citizen (‘Merkan from the South and Mexican) and has studied Mexican and Yucatecan culture for 35 years. Co-owner Jorge, is an actual Mayan, who was born in the hacienda of the original owner of Casa Mexilio’s location. He, too, is an incredible source of knowledge about all things Mayan and Yucatecan, from all the vegetables and fruits to all the sweets made from them. Jorge waxes gloriously about Yucatecan desserts until he gets to candied yucca (to which he gives a rave review). The owners have to be approached with a cup of coffee in hand and very willing ears. They are somewhat reticent to share, but once they begin you can’t begin to buy the information they impart! The staff includes two very able young Merida brothers, Yban and Guillermo and a jovial Dona Mari, who heads the housekeeping. All of them, including the owners, adopted me during my stay and made me part of their hotel family. One of the highlights was to sit in the outside bench by the street and enjoy the cool evening breezes from the sea and talk with Jorge and Roger and whomever happens by and chat the evening away. One of the topics of conversation was the opening of an intimate bar on the antique appointed second floor of the hotel. According to plans forged during the breezy discussions one room will be dedicated to several wines (California, French, Spanish Mexican - - - yes there are wonderful Mexican wines!) by the glass. The other bar will serve cocktails and have two free libations, one wine and one cocktail with free appetizers. I was there for the retrofitting of the a/c units which had to be placed very laboriously in a manner that would not destroy the wall painted decorations by a famous local artist, much to the chagrin of the installers. The operative word on the bar is INTIMATE, as in a place to have a conversation with a friend or a rendez-vous, very romantic indeed. One thing I did not touch upon my other review was the cenote-like pool in the main building’s courtyard. This time I ended up my morning walks about after lunch in the hotel’s cool water pool and spend a good half hour. A young drop dead gorgeous Belgian couple were dipping in the pool in the early afternoon, when I spied them in a kiss. I asked them permission to take their photo through the iron grilled opening to the pool, would they oblige me in repeating their smooch? They did and I took what amounts to a photo of staggering beauty. (If anyone needs to go to the beach, there’s always a taxi willing to take you to Progreso, 200 pesos and 35 minutes later you can be at Shark’s having beers and appetizers right on the beach. It’s worth the trip!)
I did find that most of the customers of Casa Mexilio this time were European (Brits, Belgians, gorgeous Italians, Germans, Swiss, and French). They were all very complimentary of the services and rooms offered to them and the accompanying prices. What they liked best was the unsual setting, the wonderful breakfasts, the location, and the comfortable and beautiful rooms. What I liked best, as I lived the former during my first time, is that the hotel included me into their activities, and I was part of their family for two weeks.
My thanks to Roger, Jorge, Carlos, Guillermo, Yban, and Dona Mari for a fabulous two weeks in Merida. It wouldn’t have been the same without you. Anyone desiring information about Casa Mexilio, don’t hesitate in writing me. Do read my other review in Trip Advisor.

PS: The house across the street is being readied for a concert during the Merida festivities in October by the original owners of the house who were an all-girl music band in the 1950’s. The octogenarians are making a comeback in their former home, and the concert will be held on the roof of the house. The staff is busily decorating and arranging for 300 people to attend such a festive occasion. Now how do I manage another trip there for this concert since I just got back?

• Stayed August 2011, travelled solo
4 Thank RichardSchillen
Richmond, Indiana
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 February 2011

I have read all the reviews contained in this site about Casa Mexilio and can understand some of the criticisms leveled at this property. Firstly, let me warn those people who like MacDonald's, Cancun hotels with all inclusive services, drinking beer by the pool, watching continuous TV for entertainment, etc., etc., in my time you were called The Ugly Americans, you know who you are. PASS ON THIS HOTEL! IT'S NOT FOR YOU! YOU WON'T LIKE IT! Can this be any clearer?

Now if you are an American in love with Latin America, like my father was, and like Roger, the owner of this property is, you will fit right in. American men, who love Latin America and its culture are very special people, and this hotel is equally special! Full of Mexican antiques, inviting nooks and crannies to investigate, the occasional cat lurking by (the decorative cats are not specially friendly by the way, they don't interact with guests, the dog does), the views from the various balconies, the dining room and bars, the look out posts, the vegetation throughout conjure up a Mexico of 200 years ago. The rooms are all different. We stayed in two of them. We loved El Palomar, it was a hike to get up there, but, oh, was it beautiful and beautifully decorated, private and quiet! The pricing is cheap in comparison to other places. I, frankly, don't know how they manage those cheap prices but better for my pocket book! The breakfast in the morning is awesome, to use young people's language, always different, cheery, and with several choices, served in a gorgeous courtyard across the main building, in the other part of the hotel.

Now as to the complaints in other reviews about the owners. Am I their friend? Yes and no. I used to be Roger's client at the Gideon Lowe House in Key West, 30 years ago. I loved it there. It was another oasis of culture and refinement in the middle of wild Key West of the 70's and early 80's. I remember Roger's decision to move to Merida as Key West was beginning its slow decline into a wall to wall tourist trap. I validated that assumption by driving by the old Gideon Lowe House 2 years ago. Alas, it was not the beautiful house at all nor was Key West. But that's another story. I haven't seen Roger in 30 years time and was happy to see him again and bowled over with Casa Mexilio. I didn't think he could put Gideon Lowe in Merida with much success. Happily he didn't try to imitate the old house's style but go with the Mexican flow and follow all the hotelier know-how he learned in Key West. I should point out Roger is PhD in MesoAmerican studies, writes a beautiful blog to which I have become addicted, is kind to a fault and helped me find a dentist whom I have fallen in love with (30% of what it costs in America). I have also seen him be extra kind to LOL's (little old ladies). And, yes, he doesn't recommend restaurants in Merida (they are not so good) and then he gets blamed. I don't blame him. If you need suggestions, look up the website of Los Dos, a cooking school in Merida, who give great insight into the dining scene there. Quirkiness as to attitude. You tell me who isn't quirky at 70 after being in this business for over 45 years? Hell, I am quirky and I am 10 years younger! Another interesting note is earlier friendships with writers in Key West in the early days of its golden age (as in Tennessee Williams et al). The other owner, Jorge, is a Mayan through and through born in the hacienda owned by the original owner of house where Casa Mexilio is located. He is a fascinating guy and very forthcoming. The rest of the staff is very friendly and helpful.

I am planning a return to Merida during the hot season and will be staying again in Casa Mexilio, happily. If I had to say something was amiss during our entire stay was the lack of music, which I remember in the Key West house (Mozart used to waft through the halls as they had a Santa Fe Opera connection there, by the way). A little suggestion for Casa Mexilio: a little classical guitar in the background might be a nice addition to the hotel's ambiance.

But do get my drift, this hotel is not for everyone. It's gorgeous, it's affordable, it's quiet, it's nicely located, it's well kept, it's unique, and finally, it's very classy. Again, you have been warned, it's not for everybody.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled as a couple
5 Thank RichardSchillen
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 February 2011

On the plus side, wonderful, unique house in quiet setting, full of quirky charm. However, some of those quirks could turn into negatives for some. As other reviews mentioned, need degree in engineering to work out how to open doors (not amusing late at night), take torch for the "period lighting" if needing to read maps, guidebooks etc. Charming local staff from whom the owner could learn a lot! Owner more suited to interior design than customer relations. Eccentric to the point of rude. We were made to feel like unwelcome intruders when arriving early - we only wanted to leave luggage. Not the best welcome especially as my credit card had already been debited for a 3-night stay well in advance of our arrival.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled with friends
3 Thank Anne4960
Rome, Italy
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 January 2011

I think the owners of this establishment have confused eccentricity with indifference.
After having a struggle to even get in the place when we arrived (due to the fact no one was around), we were then told the room we'd booked was unavailable due to it "needing some work" (although this didn't prevent it from being occupied by another couple the day before we left). Why not just tell us the truth owners (double booked?); don't talk to us like we're idiots and then roll your eyes. We're adults and we appreciate honesty. Also some smiling and a "welcome" greeting would be an idea. :)
The alternative room we were offered was nice, but very dark. This wasn't a surprise because I'd noticed all the lamps were lit on photos of it on the website, but the (admittedly tasteful) dark furniture/decoration didn't help either (and that is why we had originally chosen what appeared to be a brighter room). Also the hotel looked like it could do with a bit of a spring clean.
At the end of our stay there I feared no one would be on reception the morning we were due to leave (not early, around 10am) so I suggested to my partner that we pay the day before when someone was actually around. This we did and I was right...no one around on the morning, so no "goodbye, we hope you enjoyed your stay" etc, and no help getting our luggage down the narrow flights of stairs.
So owners if you read this... no we didn't particularly enjoy our stay with you (which is a shame). You would do a lot better by remembering that you're offering a service we're paying for, so try and look like you're happy and/or interested to be providing it . Also first impressions count. Thanks.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled as a couple