“Heart-warming hostess, great location”
Review of Hotel Mucuy

Hotel Mucuy
Ranked #85 of 104 Hotels in Merida
Reviewed 7 March 2009

As with anything else, people make all the difference. What sets Hotel Mucuy apart from any place I have stayed is the hostess, Senora Ofelia. Based on the regulars she has who keep coming back (in one case, annual visits for thirty years!), I would say that Senora Ofelia offers something really special. Sure, the location and the price are fantastic, but it's really the way that Senora Ofelia opens herself up for interaction that goes way beyond the perfunctory, that's what sets this place apart.

Her two dogs, Lena and Whiskey, her residence off to the side of the lobby are just little markers of the fact that though this is clearly a business venture, Senora Ofelia is sharing her home with her guests. I'm ready to return!

• Stayed: February 2009, travelled solo
1  Thank PeterBraun28210

Reviewed 3 March 2009

We stayed one night at Hotel Mucuy and my first impression of the hotel was how easily they trusted us, but made us feel relaxed after we checked in. The inner courtyard was lovely with tiled floors and a beautiful rose bush in front of our room (109). I was dismayed about the bed because they were uncomfortable. Our hot water did work for one shower, but not enough for a second shower. There was a television with remote (which you receive when you check in, then return when you check out). Taxi's are everywhere, so you won't have trouble getting one early in the AM to the airport/bus station. We were a 10 minute walk to the Plaza Mayor and enjoyed the Folklorico dances on Sunday evening. A friendly place to visit.

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled with family
1  Thank jkblu58
Reviewed 20 February 2009

I stayed at Hotel Mucuy for two nights. It had a great location, was clean, adequate sized room, and was great value for the price. The hotel itself was pretty cute, with some patio tables surrounding a small pool. I couldn't get any hot water, but all the same, I think this is definitely a great choice if you're in Merida.

• Stayed: February 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 3 February 2009

I knew about this hotel from the Moon book before I went, but I booked at another one and after going to see the Mucuy, moved to it after a few days. The Mucuy was less money for nicer grounds, a pool, and a still-comfortable room, and closer to the main square, restaurants, etc.
The grounds are gorgeous and well-kept. There is a 2nd floor deck that is really pleasant to sit out on, under the shade of the umbrella, and a really nice pool area (the pool is very clean and the water refreshing, almost cold). The gardens are beautiful.
The room wasn't as good as my first hotel, but it was clean and comfortable, had good hot water, a firm but comfortable bed, good pillows, and air conditioning (costs 50 pesos/day extra). When I travel, I am looking for clean and comfortable, not luxrious and well-appointed - after all, I am only sleeping there, not living there. The Mucuy room met my requirements just fine. There is 24 hour entrance security. The staff speaks little English, but are friendly and helpful. Before moving to the Mucuy, when I went to check it over I left a deposit of 200 pesos to hold the room. When I arrived 2 days later, the owner said that would do until I left, which was 8 days later - very trusting. Overall, the grounds are 3-star, but the rooms are too basic to be 3-star; maybe 2. For me, basic is just fine, when it is clean and quiet like this.
The only negative was a restaurant/bar next door that had a loud band playing every afternoon (within the Mucuy the sound was muffled but still irritating), but the band stopped about 6PM, and then it was quiet.
I would very happily stay in the Mucuy any time I am in Merida.

• Stayed: January 2009, travelled solo
    • Check-in / front desk
1  Thank BarryP_Winnipeg
Reviewed 31 January 2009

My friend and I travel to Mexico every year and the past two years we have stayed at the Mucuy. It is very basic but clean and only a 4-5 block walk to the main plaza. The courtyard and pool are lovely and provide a good place to sit and read. It is very safe as the main entrance is a gate and there is always someone on duty at the desk. The family owners are friendly and everyone gets to know their cute dog, "Whiskey", who hangs out in the lobby. I was able to store some medication in the lobby refrigerator and when we left Merida on a side trip, they allowed us to store some of our luggage in their storage room. So, if you have a spirit of adventure and don't mind a too short shower curtain give the Mucuy a try!

• Stayed: January 2009, travelled with friends
    • Check-in / front desk
Reviewed 28 February 2006

\ I was pleased to find my favorite Merida budget hotel has added a small pool. Great place to relax and soak after exploring the city.

6  Thank elperrorabioso
A TripAdvisor Member
Norway
Reviewed 13 June 2005

For budget travellers in Merida I absolutely recomend this lovely hotel. It is extremely central, yet placed in a calm street in a safe part of the town centre, and why it is so cheap is a mystery. The rooms are clean with simple but beautiful wooden furniture, and they are situated around a charming courtyard with lots of flowers and a sitting area where you can have a beer in the shade. Rooms cost the same (180 pesos for a single room, 200 for a double) whether you are one or two people, so it is a bargain if you travel two together.
For lonely travellers like me, the old and worn, but superfriendly hotel dog is great a comfort.
The rooms do not have air conditioning, which is very necessary during the hottest periods in Merida, but if you are used to heat, the fans to a good job. The staff is friendly, some speak English.
Hotel Mucuy will make you feel safe and welcome in Merida!

• Stayed: April 2005