“First Choice if 5 star is not what you looking for”
Review of Hotel Mucuy

Hotel Mucuy
Ranked #85 of 105 Hotels in Merida
Reviewed 25 November 2010

I arrived the first time, Had a warm welcome from Senora Martinez ( the Owner ) . She is a wonderful hostess with a great staff. Hotel is basic , central, safe and accomodating, and in the middle of the Historical Centro "where every traveler in Merida wants to be."
The court yard is a great place to relax in the pool and with wifi email home. Rooms are under 300 pesos a night (275 for a double) this hotel gives the thriffty traveller the best bang for the buck. I have checked other hotels and at this price nothing compares. When checking in , say hi to Senor Martinez from John from Canada.

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled solo
1  Thank Globaltreks

Reviewed 12 February 2010

My wife and I stayed two nights @ Hotel Mucuy, & thought the place was tough to beat for the money. If we dropped $90 a night, I would critique differently, but for $20-$30 this place was great. The staff, beds, location, and courtyard are all awesome. At this price, you are lucky to get a hostel bunk bed here in the states. We did request a 2nd set of pillows, because our 1st were pretty small/worn, and the staff accommodated us. They also helped arrange an early morning taxi to the airport for us. We would stay here again in a heartbeat...Merida was a good time, you will not want to spend a lot of time in your room!

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled as a couple
2  Thank cajunturtle
Reviewed 6 January 2010

If your like us we just need a bed to sleep on, at night, were out all day exploring so were not into the amenities of a five star hotel. This one was okay for us, it could have been a little bit cleaner, i saw at least 20 daddy long legs in our room, and many cobwebs, water did not run very well either. the owner an elder lady, very sweet and helpful. Nice little clean pool. Friendly Dog Wiskey on premises. for $25 dollars a night, you pay for what you get. So until i hilt the Lotto Mucuy is good for me.

• Stayed: December 2008, travelled with family
2  Thank algounico
Reviewed 1 January 2010

After staying in much more expensive, upscale hotels for the previous 3 nights we stayed here. It was our first good nights sleep.
The rooms and bathroom are simple and clean. The courtyard and staff are great.

A very good hotel for the money!

• Stayed: December 2009, travelled as a couple
2  Thank vtviajera
Reviewed 11 August 2009

After reading several positive reviews of the Mucuy, we decided to stay there. On arrival, the room had not been cleaned and we were greeted by two large roaches. Towels and linens were, we believe, simply put out to dry and never washed. To make a long story short, we found another hotel after some angry young person (we are 63/70) with diarrhea 'pooped' in the pool and the management just let it stink (no draing of pool or anything). I know this hotel was once a good place to stay but the lady running it is old and her staff is lazy, to put it mildly. BTW, we are fluent in Spanish.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 15 July 2009

I was in love with Merida, Mexico before I discovered the Hotel Mucuy, but it is now my love as well. I again stayed there this month. A mere two blocks from the heart of activity in Centro, the care and love shown by Ms. Ofelia and staff and the restful atmosphere is my definition of Hotel Mucuy. The heat in Merida in summer is the same as my area of Texas so I was not uncomfortable or surprised by it. The hotel is a little oasis from the hustle of the city and I love it. Patt Barrington, Orange, Texas

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled solo
4  Thank PattusaTexas
Reviewed 7 March 2009

As with anything else, people make all the difference. What sets Hotel Mucuy apart from any place I have stayed is the hostess, Senora Ofelia. Based on the regulars she has who keep coming back (in one case, annual visits for thirty years!), I would say that Senora Ofelia offers something really special. Sure, the location and the price are fantastic, but it's really the way that Senora Ofelia opens herself up for interaction that goes way beyond the perfunctory, that's what sets this place apart.

Her two dogs, Lena and Whiskey, her residence off to the side of the lobby are just little markers of the fact that though this is clearly a business venture, Senora Ofelia is sharing her home with her guests. I'm ready to return!

• Stayed: February 2009, travelled solo