“New management”

Hotel Posada Toledo & Galeria
Ranked #82 of 105 Hotels in Merida
Reviewed 22 June 2014 via mobile

Adding to previous review. I met the manager who said he's had it under two years and it's a slow process updating everything. But he's trying. The main thing is the staff are great and it's very clean!
It's located ten mins from the main square, all the main sites and there are literally the pick of places to eat. I'd come again.

Stayed: June 2014

Reviewed 22 June 2014 via mobile

Stayed here 8 nights with a baby of 8months and daughter ages four. Good size room to accommodate us all, loads of cupboard space to accommodate our luggage. Clean and comfortable.
Nice hot shower in the afternoons otherwise bit like warm. Water and toiletries provided on arrival. Some Towels were a bit old and in need of replacing others looked new.
It's an old building so noisy at times and something's are old. But gorgeous high ceilings and gorgeous old furniture.
The free breakfast was fruit and coffee! But you are so central there are loads of good food options around.
Hotel staff really nice and friendly. We stayed in room 7 round the main courtyard away from main road.
Aircon worked well.
For the price I was pretty pleased.

Stayed: June 2014
Reviewed 11 September 2013

I and 4 of my friends stayed at this hotel in downtown Merida recently and were shocked at the serious lack of cleaning done in the rooms. I actually had old toothpaste on my wall above the sink and a piece of old soap wrapper stuck to the sink near the taps. It had been there so long that it was covered in grime and dirt. The walls were gross and covered with old smudges and hand marks. The small half wall between the sink and shower had dead bugs and dirt stuck on it that looked like it hadn't been touched in months. When I first checked in, there was old toilet paper in the waste basket too. All of the doors and window ledges, head board of the bed had months worth of dust piled on them. I don't think they've ever been part of the cleaning regime, if there is one at all.

I asked the front desk to have it cleaned as I was going out for the entire day. They assured me it would be. When I got back at 11pm it was still dirty. Ewww! I had to sleep in this room for the night. The next morning I got up and complained again and was told it would be taken care of. Needless to say, it was not so I had another night of filth. I was at this hotel as guest of a company during a sold out weekend in Merida so thankfully I wasn't paying for the room, but unfortunately I also couldn't escape. My traveling companions rooms were as dirty as mine and they complained as well but to no end.

I only had one more night left so the next morning I got up and told off the front desk man again, who seemed to be either the owner or manager, and went and found the housekeeper myself. I brought her in to show her what to clean and took her around the room. She was very old and feeble and this I thought was the reason the rooms aren't cleaned. I was imagining that she was perhaps the owners mother? and maybe this is why they never follow through or tell her off about the dirty rooms. Who knows. That night I got back and finally the room was semi-clean. The walls were still covered in grime, handprints and filth but the bathroom was at least clean and I could deal with the rest for the last night.

It should also be said that neither I nor my companions had hot water for the 3 nights we stayed there.

It is clear to me that this hotel receives lots of bad reviews but has not intention about changing anything so just steer clear of it unless you really don't mind sleeping in the dirt in order to be close to downtown. However, there are several hostals in the area, including one right on the main plaza with cheaper rates and cleaner spaces than this hotel so check those out first.

Room Tip: Room 5 is the biggest and nicest but it is falling apart as well. Everything is covered in dust exce...
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 23 July 2013

The owners of this hotel needs to decide if they want to be a gallery or hotel, because clearly they are unable to do both!!!!! This hotel is FLITHY!!!! I would NEVER walk in the rooms without shoes, the soles of my bedroom slippers are filthy. The bathroom is filthy, there was blood/poop on the toilet seat. I had to clean it prior to using, obviously hadn't been cleaned in a very long time. The sheets are way too small for the beds so they keep sliding off. the towels are threadbare and thin. The breakfast is disgusting,I was served watermelon and papaya, which tasted like onion,clearly they didn't wash the knife prior to using. The gallery in the front ironically is spotlessly clean, with rotating art.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank panicale63
Reviewed 13 January 2013

this once lovely hotel has been let go to ruin. The rooms are dirty, my towels had holes I could put my hand through. They have not upgraded their 1960s electric so forget about charging your electronics. The a/c was deafening. they say they are pet friendly, but the walls are so thin when my dog barked I had to move to a back room. And the beds smell of dog feces. The hotel staff tried to cheat me, overcharge what I was advertised. The included breakfast was three packets of cereal to choose from, milk extra. I picked this because of its location, but it is truly a dump and an overpriced one at that. Go someplace else.

Room Tip: Don't go here. That is the best way to get a good room here.
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank Kimmie006
Reviewed 11 January 2013

We booked a colonial room in September, for December, for 2 nights. At check in, we were shown a squat-ceilinged, cramped room that wasn't made up yet - at 4 pm. We had to take it. Settling in, the room had been only slightly cleaned, the bed linens were stained and extremely old. The shower bathroom was filthy. The only light in the bedroom comes from behind a carved wooden frame high on the wall. The air conditioner creaked and coughed all night. The window opened to a grimy, smelly light shaft. We told the front desk, showing them the emails, that this was not the room paid for, but got nowhere and was told we couldn't change the following day. So we cancelled. The desk staff wouldn't refund and only got the manager on the phone after we kept insisting. He said he'd process a refund - which hasn't happened and I have no expectation of it happening. The lobby, while sadly beautiful, was filthy, with cigarette butts everywhere. The breakfast was awful and while waffles were on offer, they seemed to be only on offer to Latino appearing guests. The waiter who ignored us came by quickly when we started to leave, expecting a tip. I just looked at him and shook my head. This place is disgusting. I booked it because I wanted to real casona/boutique hotel experience. I should have gone again to Casa Mexilio. Believe the negative reviews on this place. Don't go.

Room Tip: Go to another place.
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Margo O
Reviewed 11 January 2013

I have stayed with these kind and thoughtful folks many times over the last two and a half decades. The staff is friendly and very helpful with arranging tours to local attractions; Chichen Itza, Uxmal, etc. Rooms are comfortable but sparce. Downstairs rooms are large with wonderful carved doors and a reception area reflecting the 19th century ambience of a colonial hacienda. Breakfast is continental only and not as good as it could be. However there are many nearby good choices. The Hotel Posada is close to town, on a busy corner and can be noisy. I continue to recommend it to anyone looking for comfort with a colonial feeling.

Room Tip: Ask for a first floor room away from the street side. Room #4 is near the streets intersection and c...
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled with friends