“Mangled nails”

Rosas & Xocolate Boutique Hotel & Spa
Ranked #21 of 105 Hotels in Merida
Reviewed 2 March 2014

I decided to treat myself to a manicure and pedicure at what was to be a really nice spa. The atmosphere was lovely and the price very high by Mexican standards, higher than in some nice places in the U.S. The room was quite dark, the soft music lovely. I was in a chair that was not super comfortable, but it was okay. The technician spoke almost no English, this is Mexico and I do not blame her, I blame myself for knowing so little Spanish. She asked me if I wanted the nails short. I said, "Yes". Well when I walked out of the spa and looked at my nails, they were all unevenly cut, some so far into my nail bed that they hurt for days. I showed them a week later to some people and they said it looked like I had been chewing on them even though I had not touched them except for changing the polish. She only applied one coat of clear polish to my nails and by the next day it had bubbled all over. I had to remove it and put on two new clear coats when my nail beds has healed. It is now a week and a half later and my left hand still has almost no white tips at the end of the nails. I will have to wait several weeks to get another manicure. I wrote to the hotel and told them of my problem. I have received no response. I suggest you don't waste your money at this spa. It is obvious that the technician had no idea what she was doing and it cost me a great deal of money, almost 750 pesos or over $60 U.S.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled solo
3  Thank AMBChicago

Reviewed 26 February 2014

We had a perfect stay at this hotel, which was so welcoming with its great architecture, delicious kitchen and friendly staff. For shure the best hotel in town. The owner took personnaly care of us and gave us all sort of information about the area while his charming daughter got us a suite allthough we booked by mistake somehow the wrong day. Absolutly to recommend if you pass by Merida.

• Stayed: November 2013
1  Thank Max B
Reviewed 9 January 2014

Rosas and Xocolate was the second boutique hotel that we stayed at during our trip to Merida. It is a lovely hotel along the Paseo de Montejo. We had a deluxe room, one the second floor. The room itself was adequate. It didn't blow us away, but we weren't disappointed either. We found that the breakfast, included in the room charge, was different when we ate on the patio than when we ate in the restaurant. That was strange with the breakfast in the restaurant including more options and juice.

We had the pleasure of meeting the owner, Carol Kolozs, who always on-hand at the hotel. What a warm, charming and interesting person he is.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Laura C
Reviewed 9 January 2014

Rosas & Xocolate is a three story colonial era mansion that has been converted into a luxury boutique hotel and strikes an exceptional balance between character and comfort. We stayed there with our two children (10, 12) and thought it was one of our best urban hotel experiences.

The hotel is located on Paseo de Montejo about three blocks north of the area where the old city begins and a 15 minute walk to the Plaza Grande. The section of Paseo de Montejo where the hotel is located is famous for colonial mansions which were built with henequen money and line both sides of the street. Many have been converted to offices and, in a couple of cases, museums, while others seem to be unoccupied. There is an ice cream / dessert cafe right next door to the hotel that was very busy. We rented a car for a couple of days and it was no problem to park on the street in front of the hotel while we were packing up or unloading.

On the first floor of the hotel there is a reception desk, a small gift / chocolate store, and a restaurant with an inside section and an interior (ie within the walls of the hotel but with no roof) outdoor patio. Eating breakfast on the outdoor patio with a tree growing in the middle and vines coming up the walls was an extremely pleasant way to begin the day. We never did eat dinner at the restaurant but it was almost always crowded and lively when we returned home at night. From this outdoor patio, there is a spiral staircase which leads up to a rooftop bar with views along Paseo de Montejo and a jazz singer on the Saturday night we were there.

Behind reception, there is a door which leads to another interior outdoor patio. This patio is surrounded by rooms and has a small swimming pool in the center as well as a couple of small fountains with goldfish. The pool was not heated and was a little cool given the very temperate weather when we were there. Nevertheless, my kids still enjoyed a swim one afternoon and I am sure the pool is very refreshing when the temperatures in Merida are warmer. Even if you are not swimming, there are a few nice lounge chairs around the pool which would be good for reading a book. From this patio, one can walk up to rooms on the second floor or the gym on the third floor which is furnished with modern equipment.

Our room (#2) was very attractively decorated and spacious with high ceilings. There were two double beds in the room but my ten year old chose to sleep on a long flat couch in the room to escape the tossing and turning of her older brother. The bathroom was also large and well appointed with one of those huge shower heads. In addition to the indoor shower, there was also a private, very deep outdoor bath tub. We were adjacent to the pool area but never bothered by noise. A very, very small complaint would be that the quilts on the bed are so thick and luxurious that we had to run the air conditioning at a lower temp than we might have otherwise in order to sleep comfortably.

We used Merida as a base for exploration and our itinerary was as follows:

Day 1 - Took a short taxi ride to the interesting Gran Museo del Mundo Maya, relaxed at hotel, spent evening wandering around the old section of the city including visits to the Cathedral and Governor's Palace

Day 2- Drove 90-120 mins to Uxmal, stopping at a somewhat broken down but interesting henequen estate that has been opened to the public (Yaxcopoil) along the way. Private tour at Uxmal was worthwhile.

Day 3 - Drove 90-120 mins to Ce'lestun to see flamingos. More likely to see flamingos in the morning at low tide (they are vulnerable to crocodiles at high tide). We took the boat tour which was wonderful even with no flamingos. Eventually paid this guy we met at the beach to drive with us to an estuary where the flamingos hang out during high tide. This was worth it. Could have easily spent an enjoyable night in this low key beach town. Had a very nice lunch at one of the restaurants that line the beach, stick to the very basic stuff like grilled fish. There are various beach hotels and evidently a higher end place called Xixim that we did not see.

Day 4 - Left for Chicen Itza en-route to Tulum. Passed through Valladolid and I also wished that I had a night to spend in this picturesque colonial town.

We ate dinner at three nice places in Merida. There are two fancier restaurants and good people watching on Plaza Santa Lucia, in between Rosas and Plaza Grande. Apoala is nouveau Mexican and delicious. For a break from Mexican, La Tratto is a very good Italian place across the plaza from Apoala. Both will run you around US$100+ for family of 4 including plenty of drinking for the adults. On the much less expensive side, Cantina La Negrita offers good food and a lively, inviting, very casual atmosphere. A small mural featuring a young black woman, presumably the namesake of the restaurant, adorns one of the walls in the larger dining room.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
7  Thank tinmil45
Reviewed 8 January 2014

A very beautiful hotel. 10 mins walk from the center of Merida, which is no problem as the city feels very safe. The staff we very nice and always helpful. The food in the restaurant is also very good. Our room was lovely with a hanging 4 poster style bed.

Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 7 January 2014

My daughters and I were in Merida, MX for a holiday and were hoping to find a place open on Christmas day for dinner, were we ever lucky! We were strolling down Paseo Montejo when we saw a pretty pink building all lite up, the restaurant looked open so we went in. We had a great dinner, met other guests sitting next to us who were also from our home town in CA and met the owner of the hotel Carol Kolozs. Carol is a great combination of casual and warm, making everyone feel at home and making sure that every detail is taken care of. The hotel is the obvious destination for everyone who wants a great dinner, cool accomidations and the place to be at night listening to jazz on the patio. Rosas and Xocolate has it all.

Room Tip: Next time we will stay at this hotel. It's clearly the best in town. It's more European than...
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank WendyG77
Reviewed 10 December 2013

This is my favourite hotel in the entire world. What a lovely experience! The Rosas & Xocolate is chic, beautiful and peaceful, with outstanding service. The attention to detail is carefully overseen daily by the owner, Carol Kolozs, who we had the pleasure to meet. He makes everyone feel like honoured guests in a beautiful home. We loved the room and our very private outdoor bathtub in room 9, and the food was absolutely delicious. We enjoyed taking the hotel bicycles for a trip down Paseo de Montejo on Sunday morning, when the city closes the street to cars. If you can get a room here, do! It is a very good value for the world-class quality of hotel and food. If you cannot get a room, come here for the restaurant or the roof bar and jazz. We have come to Merida before, but this was the first time we could get a reservation at Rosas & Xocolate. If you want a spa treatment, be sure to reserve in advance!

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple