“A very special experience”

Rosas & Xocolate Boutique Hotel & Spa
Ranked #15 of 103 Hotels in Merida
New York City, New York
“A very special experience”
Reviewed 20 May 2014

Following an exhausting trip from New York, I arrived here at about 8 pm for a seven night stay and was warmly welcomed. My first impression was that the hotel was rather dark, but this quickly turned to a deep appreciation for an amazing (and romantic) ambiance throughout the facility.

The generous size of my room was enhanced by the very high ceilings, with efficient air conditioning that I could control and an extremely comfortable bed. Although I did not patronize the downstairs or rooftop bars, they were both appealing and offered lovely environments.

The restaurant was truly exceptional; it is attractive and I tried much of the menu during my stay, finding nearly all offerings to be both especially delicious and well thought out. The service was almost always remarkably solicitous and warm. Although It is true that the food took a while to come out, I find it indicative of the quality of the preparation and appreciate dining as a special occasion, rather than just eating something quickly. In the mornings I sometimes breakfasted in the atrium area, which would get too warm for me later in the day but is a pretty setting with its trees.

I did not have an opportunity to use the spa, but did enjoy a couple of swims in the pool, which, again, is in a remarkably enjoyable environment. The last night of my stay, I used the "soaking tub" in my room with its open view of the sky...

The hotel is conveniently located close to the center of Merida, and I enjoyed several walks in the area. Merida is not only beautiful but notably safe, and the owner has done a great service to the city by renovating two abandoned houses and creating this amazing hotel. It is a testimony to his creation that the longer I stayed, the more I enjoyed and appreciated this beautiful place - and I would be delighted to stay there again! The only drawback I found is that direct dial telephone service into and out of the hotel appears not to be an option, although the wifi signal was excellent.

In the interest of full disclosure: my room and most of my meals were comped by the owner, in support of the local symphony orchestra which engaged me as its soloist. However, over the course of many years I have never stayed in a hotel - especially for this number of nights - where I felt so at ease and happy in the environment.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank NYMusician

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (41)
South Florida, Florida
Reviewed 14 May 2014

Surroundings are important and those at R&X do not disappoint with a gorgeous color palate, beautiful rooms, lovely common areas, and a great outdoor bar, however, it's service that sets apart one fine hotel over another and the service at R&X is exemplary. From the moment of arrival the staff was warm and attentive and the eye for detail was apparent. Adrian and his team truly excel at creating a welcoming environment. The owner Carol is always around to ensure all is well which is much appreciated. The number of repeat guests is a testament to their level of service. The gorgeous hotel is just a bonus. I will undoubtedly return.

Room Tip: Number 9 is simply amazing
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank gensnimica
Boulder, Colorado
Reviewed 4 May 2014

This review is a bit delayed, but better late than never. This hotel is absolutely beautiful from the moment you arrive outside. Every inch of it has been thought out from the way the staircases reflect light to the locally sourced braided rope hanging form the ceilings.

The rooms were very spacious and comfortable and showers amazing. The little outdoor bathtub was a bonus as well.

The pool was impressive and I loved the emblem tiled into it.

The restaurant was fantastic. The service top notch, presentation impeccable and taste superb. I would highly recommend the food and would absolutely say it was the best meal I had in Merida.

Thank you very much to the owner Carol and all of his staff to making my stay as memorable as it was.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Mexico City, Mexico
Reviewed 20 April 2014 via mobile

It is ok, if you are willing to beg for a place at the tight spa agenda. Even tough there are few rooms, it apears they dont take in consideration if one is staying at the hotel, there is no special treatment as a boutique hotel should have, ans the air conditioning is too harsh at sleeping time.

Everything else seems quite alright.

Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Monrod01
Carol K, Owner at Rosas & Xocolate Boutique Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 2 June 2014
I would agree with this lady, hotel guest must have priority in our SPA and I can assure you it is part of the policies of our organization, I would never allow one of our guest not to be attended, however, one must understand that at times exists physical limitations and to that end one must exercise flexibility. During season, thank goodness, we get quite busy and to that end one must book in advance. I am truly sorry we were not able to accommodate this guest.
Santa Monica, California
Reviewed 17 April 2014

I had the opportunity to stay at Rosas & Xocolate last week.
I absolutely adore this place. I went to Merida on a business trip, but I wanted to take the opportunity of going to such an amazing city and stay in a great place. So I found this hotel here on tripadvisor, I loved the photos so I made a reservation, and I was ready to stay in a nice place.
I was blown away!!! The service was incredible, the hotel was beyond my expectations, the decoration, style, food, everything it is so tasteful, amazing style.... I have never been in such a great boutique hotel in Mexico, the location was great.

I am so happy I decided to stay there. Now I want to come back with my husband and have a couple weekend in Merida staying at Rosas & Xocolate, I really need to go back and enjoy the hotel much more.

I am Mexican and I am very careful of the places I stay when I visit my country, I don't like to stay at the corporate, chain hotels, specially when I can have the opportunity to go to cities like Mérida. This hotel reflects a very nice classy, modern Mexican style, the owner totally enhance Mexican style with taste.

I am definitely coming back soon. I recommend this hotel to all international and national travelers. You will enjoy it ; )

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Giopali
Moscow, Russia
Reviewed 24 March 2014

Perfect location close to the center of the city. Extremely polite staff. Clean, comfortable room serviced daily with a big space. They pay attention to each and every detail wherever you are within the hotel. The food is great indeed. SPA is terrific. I would recommend this hotel to everyone and next time no doubts will stay there again.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled solo
2 Thank Mark K
Merida, Mexico
Reviewed 15 March 2014

I have not stayed at this hotel but it is always a destination when I visit Merida. I never pass up the chance to dine in the beautiful restaurant and recently I had a wonderful time listening to jazz at the Moon Patio. The staff is always gracias and the owner welcoming. Stop in for a drink and stay for a meal.

• Stayed February 2014