“Beautiful, comfortable and stylish!”

Rosas & Xocolate Boutique Hotel & Spa
Ranked #13 of 104 Hotels in Merida
Alberta, Canada
“Beautiful, comfortable and stylish!”
Reviewed 15 January 2011

Rosas y Xocolate made our stay in Merida that much more enjoyable. We have travelled all over the world and this is exactly the kind of accomodation we like. Quaint, stylish character, with comfort. The bed, bedding and pillows were cozy comfortable and the room was spacious and beautiful. A restaurant at our place of accomodation is not a must for us but this was just an added bonus as it was very good. The chocolate dessert we had was too die for! The beautiful courtyard cafe was a lovely spot to enjoy breakfast each morning. The owner, Carol and the staff were friendly and accomodationg. We needed a rental car one day and Carol booked it for us and had it delivered to the hotel. One other little bit of excitement while we were there was the fact that we saw Caroline Kennedy in the lobby...turned out she was staying there too!!! Thanks, Carol, for a most enjoyable stay!

1 Thank Sherry08

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (41)
London
Reviewed 8 January 2011

What a shame we decided to spend Christmas here! We arrived on 23rd December for a 3 night stay. We entered the hotel and first impressions of the decor and feel were good. but there were 2 ladies working at the recption desk who ignored us until we had stood there long enough and eventually interrupted them to check in. (Its a small entry hall so this felt pretty rude). We were checked in very matter of factly (no warm or personal feel, no chat at all). We were told to follow one of them (no offer of help with bags) to our room, it was just off the courtyard by the pool and she gave us our key and pointed to the door and left. She didn't even open the door!
I realised why when we opened the door, although it was spotlessly clean and attractive, the room smelled musty and mouldy, and was unexpectedly dark too. The room smelled like this the whole time we were there even though we tried leaving the room door open and the bathroom door to the outside bath open to get some air flow. We couldnt work out what it was because it wasnt the bathroom, but each time we went out for the day and came back we were hit by mould smell. The room is dark because the only windows are to the courtyard so to get light you have to have the shutters open so everyone can see into the room as they walk past.
the other disappointments with the room seemed to be things completely missing from the room description- terrace (the little patch of tiles by the outdoor bath), no 'coffee machine' in room, no hammock- this is ridiculous and totally misleading in the room description there is no-where a hammock would go or has ever been in this room, there is no wi-fi in the room- again misleading, this was part of our reason for choosing the hotel and although there was wi-fi in the reception area but it meant we had to do all our Christmas video skype calls in the public area which was a bit uncomfortable, there is no i-pod docking station in the room as written in the room description. And no indications as to 'room service'- no mention or menu in the room, and 'fully loaded' ipods and laptops, again no indication of this anywhere. The room was lovely but it certainly was not 'as promised'.
Breakfast is ok, the warm banana bread was delicious. It was overpriced, plus I explained twice (in spanish) that I am vegetarian so just scrambled egg and no meat please but it still came with rolls of ham on top.
I went to ask at reception on Christmas Eve where would be good to go in town, if there were any celebrations on or anything of interest. (as mexicans celebrate on Christmas eve). I was told quite curtly 'no' and that they have a dinner where we could choose pork or turkey and a glass of wine (no other info or price etc). We were not fussed with the attitude and thought that maybe we would try the hotel restaurant for Xmas day instead in case other things in town were not open.
We went for Xmas eve at the Hyatt where they went out of their way to do a veggie option and were very friendly and although a large hotel and not normally our taste the welcome shamed Rosas and Xocolate.
We also found out from a local in the square that Christmas eve had a traditional dancing on in the courtyard at the University at 9pm that we could watch for free and we went to mass too. he also explained that there are concerts or dancing on every night of the week in the same place each time- nothing of this was mentioned by the hotel.
We were never once wished Merry Christmas or the Mexican equivalent by anyone at the hotel.
On Christmas morning I went to use the gym on the 3rd floor, my key card didnt work (they had not told us we would need a different one,and there is no book in the room on the hotel services). So I walked back down to the ground floor, no-one at recption, so I went in the restaurant and a helpful waiter went out the front of the building where the reception girl was outside having a cigarette. She came in and banged around sulkily looking for the gym key card and the put it down on the desk and slid it over to me without even looking up. This would be rude enough without it being Christmas morning! The gym itself was very well equipped with new equipment and plenty of choice, I couldnt seem to find the airconditioning in there so it got too warm to work out after a while.
The icing on the cake as to how terrible the service is here is when we we decided to give the place the benefit of the doubt and have our meal here on christmas day evening, we were given menus. There were only 2 starters on the whole menu suitable for a vegetarian, no main courses at all. When asked if they could do something, I was directed to the 2 starters. We chose a glass of wine each from the wine list and were then told 'no' we couldn't have any of these, just a red or white wine that they had left from their celebrations the night before were the only wine by the glass on offer. We ordered food and at the point of ordering it turned out that my partners choices were off the menu but we hadnt been told that before. We sat there, and eventually had to ask if we could get some bread as none had been served. Then my food was brought, but not with my partners....they intended to serve me my meal (one of the veggie starters) and finish and then serve his main course on its own after that. ludicrous. So i sent it back and said that obviously we wanted to eat together. He did bring more bread while we were waiting but no extra butter which had run out. My side dish of vegetables were not cooked aside from the tomatoes, the carrots were raw as were the new potatoes. My partners food was fine but nothing special. We did notice that Mexicans seemed to get a friendly service.
We decided not to waste our time with dessert and went up the road for some ice cream instead.
there are DVD players in the rooms so as there is no info on the hotel in the room we asked at the desk if they had DVD library or DVDs to borrow, the woman just laughed at us and said no-one had ever asked that before.
I should mention that the pool is very small and very cold and we never saw anyone use it.
Checkout was perfunctory and unfriendly, being the same girl as the gym pass morning.
We could not wait to leave and go on to Campeche. Totally disappointing experience.
The hotel itself is stunning and has had lots of money spent on it, and excellent attention to detail- the experience itself gives no reflection of this, just cold, unfriendly service.
I will be writing to Design Hotels to complain as it does not in any way compare to other hotels in it's portfolio.
We stayed in 4 places at a range of prices on our trip and this was definitely lacking.
We found Mexican people to be friendly, helpful and smiling everywhere but here on our trip.

10 Thank HMax
YucatanLiving, Owner at Rosas & Xocolate Boutique Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 2 February 2011
It is almost incredulous to listen to this guest speak about her experience at our hotel. Though I must admit that we were extremely busy in December and all of our resources were at their maximum demand. I find it hard to believe that during a three day stay, this guest could not have asked to speak to a manager about what was making them unhappy. As the owner, I am on site at the hotel during most of every day. I do my best to be friendly and extremely sensitive to our guest’s needs. I would have never allowed this guest to leave with this kind of impression of our hotel if I had known about her unhappiness.

In reading all of her comments it is obvious that she did not understand most of what was happening to her. For this purpose, I offer explanation where it is merited:

1. Though in our training we emphasize the courteous and attentive service one must always give our guests, I have taken this guests experience very seriously and will intensify our surveillance of the front desk service. I have shared this complaint with the employees at our reception.

2. Rosas&Xocolate is constructed out of two 100-year-old mansions on a main avenue in Merida, Yucatan. Though most of the rooms are new, there are a couple which are part of the original structure. We took a great deal of care to ensure that the humidity would not affect the environment of these rooms. With that said, at best the humidity can be controlled but not eliminated. This property is protected by a government institution that does not allow the demolition of existing historical structures. For this reason in this room you sometimes have this mustiness. Many foreigners are now purchasing and remodeling homes in the historical part of Merida which have a similar problem and we all have learned to live with this as a trade off for the beauty these old structures provide. As a result of this comment, we have just discovered a leak in the wall, which was exasperating the problem of humidity. It is now fixed and should go far to correct this problem. We only wish she had mentioned this to us when she was here.

3. The last thing that can be said about our rooms is that they are dark. Each room has a very large window, which is covered by a beautiful wood shutter which can be opened in small parts and in strategic ways so no can see you and which still allows light into the room. In addition, there is one large fixed glass window that covers part of one wall, allowing you to look from the bedroom into a patio where the open air bathtub is located. This window has a shade so it can be drawn to keep light from entering the room. In the bathroom there is a 10-foot tall glass door and a 10-foot tall fixed glass window that again looks out to the open air bathtub. The walls of the rooms are covered with chukum, a special Mayan treatment which is very light in color. Unless there is no light outside, I find it hard to see how this room is dark.

4. I tried to find somewhere on my website where it said we offered coffee machines in the rooms and could not. Nor could I find hammocks. We do have some rooms where we hang hammocks in the traditional way that are hung here when they are not in use. These are only for decoration. Currently only 60% of the rooms have wireless internet and by the 15th of February, 100% will have it. However, the entire hotel is IP wired, and every room has several outlets where a computer can be connected to the hotel network. Our guests could have easily connected to Skype in the comfort of their room.

5. There are no iPod docking stations; however, there is a wire that connects the magnificent BOSE sound system (These sound systems were installed at a cost of $1,200 dollars each) to the iPod, achieving the same results. Laptops and iPods are available at the front desk in limited quantity and one must sign our request form in order to use one. This is not an amenity but rather a service we provide in case it is needed.

6. Our restaurant is considered as one of the best restaurants in Merida. Our food excels in quality, presentation and taste. Our prices are extremely competitive and priced for the local market, which should be quite cheap acording to American and European standards. The order of the delicious banana bread this guest mentions costs approximately $1.00 USD. I admit we do not have a variety of vegetarian dishes on our menu as a result of a lack of demand. We will, however, address requests on an individual basis. Our waiters are not all English-proficient and probably had a hard time communicating with an angry person that demonstrated little patience. The local Mayan population is very proud by nature and has a very difficult time confronting uncomfortable situations, especially with foreigners. My guess is that the attitude displayed by these guests created the response, which typically is to withdraw in order not to confront a difficult person, resulting in a complete breakdown of communication.

The travel experience is different for everyone, especially when confronted with other cultures and market conditions. Much of the time what appears normal for travelers from developed societies is difficult or impossible to attain in emerging countries. The lack of knowledge, patience or experience sometimes creates barriers, which can seriously affect the results.

As owner of Rosas&Xocolate, I would be extremely worried if this was the general response of most of our guests. However, it is quite the opposite. I am honored to have been congratulated many times and thanked for creating such a beautiful place. Our guest list includes Ambassadors, Governors, Artists, Secretaries of State and people whose names would be familiar to anyone around the world. In just one year, Rosas&Xocolate has become known as the most prestigious and luxurious boutique hotel in Merida.

At this point I can only apologize that I did not become aware of this guests needs at the time. I assure you that any problems she had would been resolved immediately.

-Carol Kolozs/Owner Manager
Munich, Germany
Reviewed 3 January 2011

...it hurts me to write a not so good review about this super cute hotel. The design is outstanding, I loved it (my wife did too). Very innovative indeed. The bathtub which is open roof is amazing. I was out there within 10 minutes of moving into the room, hot water, cold beer, listening to the distant sounds of the city at night coming in from above. In the morning, the daylight slowly creeps into the room via the bath area, and it wakes you up very gently and naturally. The restaurant is very good too. This is a real gem.

Why not give it 5 stars? Because I just could not fall asleep. The minibar FRIDGE is the noisiest I have ever heard. It is incredible. It sounds like a pigeon is trapped somewhere behind the walls. It also hums very loudly. I was so desperate that sometime during the night, I got up and tried to rip the electricity cable out of the wall. Did not work. Then I turned the fridge 180 degrees and discovered a small wheel in the back to regulate the temperature and turned the damn thing off. Ohhh.....silence never felt so good! But then the next problem: The room has two windows to the hallway (one in the wall, another in the door). The hallways do not have a lot of light, but the few lamps outside created light that fell directly onto the bed! The room was never dark. Oh no! There was no way to shut out the light. I guess it was 5 am in the morning when someone finally turned off the lights in the hallway. From then on, for about 1 hour, there was silence and darkness, and I wish I could have had a full night of sleep.

If the owner, who was there during out stay and personallly greeted the guests reads this, please dump those fridges in the ocean. Your hotel is amazing even without minibar. The fridges create negative value and the hotel is better off without them.

Another minor blemish: Why did the receptionist appear so, well, let's say "uninterested"? There was not a trace of making the guest feel welcome. When we went into the chocolate store and asked for a description of all the different kinds of pralines, she looked at us weird, breathed heavily in and out, and then handed us some kind of flyer. That was not so good. All the other staff was super friendly, so what was her problem? Also, the breakfast guy asked "would you like some bread?" without letting you know that you were going to be charged for it. Ok, just 30 pesos, but still, don;'t make it sound like it is free if it isnt.

Finally, the rooms were not super clean. There were some dead flies lying on the window sills and in the corners. Not a biggy, but I wonder how the maids did not see them.

I wish this hotel all the best and hope they solve the fridge problem (and perhaps the problem with the light as well). If I ever come back to Merida I may very well decide to stay here again because I am sure they will be able to tackle these minor things. Without the noise (and the light) the hotel is 4 or 5 stars, no doubt about it.

3 Thank Pumkin2000
Stilwell
Reviewed 28 December 2010

This is one of the nicest hotels I have ever stayed in. Beautiful, relaxing, and great staff.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled on business
Utrecht, The Netherlands
Reviewed 12 November 2010

We stayed at this hotel for 3 days in september 2010 and were sorry to leave it. The hotel is beautifully restored, the pink and chocolate theme is perfectly implemented in the hotel (even the soap had a chocolate scent) . The rooms are really beautifil. Wonderful bathroom with an outdoor bath. Huge ceilings and comfortable bed.
The thing that really caught our attention was the food in the hotel restaurant. We did read in other reviews that the food was really nice but we never thought it would be this good, breakfast included. We decided to eat at the restaurant every night we stayed in Merida and everytime the food was just heavenly. I would definitely recommend this hotel to anyone going to Merida.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple
Guadalajara, Mexico
Reviewed 12 August 2010

This place was very nice, it had once bee two haciendas, now completely redeveloped into a very romantic and relaxing hotel. The rooms were very nice with outdoor protected showers and updated furnishings and designs. The restaurant was the best, it was full with people and special events every night and the food was the best we had in the Yucatan. Ifd you want a beautiful place withun Merida, this is by far the best.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple
San Francisco, California
Reviewed 8 July 2010

One of the best boutique hotels we have stayed in compared to many others around the world. One would expect a hotel of this class to be located in a major city or a exclusive VIP resort city or island. The restaurant would be successful in New York or Paris. The staff was attentive and friendly. The owner was in the hotel for hours each day greeting and listening to guest comments. The rooms were beautiful, the amenities were luxurious and the chocolate soap could easily be mistaken for candy. The smell was like bathing with a chocolate shake. The Spa was not open yet so we will have to try it next time. We can't wait for our next visit.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled as a couple