“Great value, property, and location”

Hotel Casa Continental
Ranked #52 of 106 Hotels in Merida
Reviewed 16 June 2012

This hotel is a real gem. It is newly-renovated and the room and the rest of the hotel were very clean, well-maintained, and modern. The front desk staff was fluent in English and extremely polite and eager to help. A generous continental breakfast at the hotel was included with our room and there was an abundance of fresh fruit along with cereal, self-serve waffles, yoghurt, juices, etc. The breakfast area was a lovely modern atrium that opened to the rooms on the second floor. There were a few guest rooms that opened directly on the atrium, which could result in more noise and less privacy.

Our spacious room was a standard queen on the second floor. The bathroom was small, but nicely appointed and new. The air conditioning and ceiling fan in our room worked flawlessly and provided a welcomed retreat from the oppressive June heat and humidity. Our room faced the street and the traffic noise woke us early every morning. We noticed that there are rooms that don't face the street, which are probably much quieter.

We will be returning to Merida again this year and we will definitely make an effort to stay at this hotel. It is an excellent value and very conveniently located to the historic downtown and parks, which have festivals every Saturday and Sunday.

Room Tip: Be sure to ask for a room on the second level away from the street.
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank StrayPup

Reviewed 13 April 2012

Very clean. Small (9 rooms?) Stayed 2 nights on business trip. Parking is across the street (free)a The desk manager escorted us to the parking and brought our bags back. There were 2 of us in 2 different rooms (Superior and Jr Suite) Very spacious, wi-fi, breakfast. Knowledgeable staff, helpful and attentive. Only 1 block to the Paseo Montejo walking district witht the restored colonial homes. Take 1-2 hours, its worth it! Enjoy your stay--Un abrazo a todos!

Room Tip: Choose a superior room. The regular rooms appeared somewhat smaller.
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 18 March 2012

I spent 8 great days in Merida and truly enjoyed my stay at this small hotel. I relied on many of the reviews in making my choice and am glad I picked this hotel. I typically don't write reviews but I appreciated everyone elses so here we go:

Hotel: Very clean, new, modern design. Rooms are relatively small but definitely big enough for 2 people. The staff was wonderful. Extremely friendly, helpful but not intrusive. I spoke Spanish with them but they all spoke English. The hotel has about 8 or 9 rooms so it's quaint. If you're a light sleeper, I would ask for a room that is not along the street as the noise could be bothersome (street noise doesn't bother me so I liked having the little balcony overlooking the street). A/C works great, small safe, plenty of hanging space for hangers. Beds, mattresses, sheets, pillows all felt and seemed clean - not that gross feeling you get at some hotels. Also, they lock the front doors late every night (there is obviously someone in the lobby to let you in and out). Assume they do this at most of the hotels but I liked this additional measure of safety.

Location: I loved the location. Others mentioned having to walk downtown along a "narrow" street but the street is no different than any other street downtown! They're all basically the same except for Paseo de Montejo, of course. The location is ideal because it's close enough to walk downtown (probably 6-7 blocks to the edge of downtown but is also right at the start of the south end of Paseo de Montejo so you have easy access headed north (buses, cabs, etc). There is also a Pemex gas station about 1.5 blocks which was nice to grab water and snacks. You can also walk to the WalMart on Paseo de Montejo, but it probably would be considered a bit far for some by foot, but a only a few minute ride by bus/taxi. I've been to Merida a couple times and always feel safe and felt safe in this location.

Food: I did not eat anything at the hotel but the food they had out for breakfast seemed relatively simple. Coffee, drinks, fruit, some cereal. If you're looking for a hotel with full-service restaurants, this is not the hotel! You should definitely stay at a bigger hotel if that is the case (ie, the Hyatt).

Overall: While this is not a 5 star hotel, it is a 5 star hotel for what it is and for the price. I definitely plan on staying here again the next time I'm in Merida.

Room Tip: Pick an interior room if you're sensitive to street noise.
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 5 February 2012

We had a pleasant stay at this hotel - The rooms were comfortable. As noted by other reviewers, front desk staff was very friendly and helpful. The lobby and breakfast area could use some warmer touches - maybe more plants and flowers and some art - We liked the overall modern design but wished it had a bit more traditional Mexican charm.

Room Tip: Our room had a window on the interior courtyard - would have preferred a window onto the street but...
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 18 January 2012

I was here few days ago with my wife for 4 noghts. we stayed in room 9 and I can say it was really clean with a modern design.
The guy at the reception was very helpful and friendly.
Only one small drawback. It's not too close to the centre, 15 minutes walking in a tiny sidewalk.
Breakfast was great and massive.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 31 December 2011

This is a very clean and new hotel, although it is not luxurious by any means. The two greatest points of the hotel are the staff and the location. The man who was working the front desk every morning was the most helpful front desk person I have ever encountered. I got him to book three different tours for me because the prices were better than the prices I had found online before coming.

The location is great because it is at one end of the Paseo de Monejo, the end that is closer to the historic center of the city. Thus, it is convenient for walking the Paseo, and convenient for walking into the historic center. I spent a lot of time in the historic center and it was easy to see that staying in that area would be a nightmare. The traffic is intense. I don't see how anyone would be able to sleep or relax in that part of town.

The rooms in the hotel may vary, but as for the room I had, the size of the room was fine, the internet signal in the room was powerful, and the room was quiet enough, as it had no windows facing the street. You could here the muffled sound of a loud truck or motorbike sometimes, but it was not a problem. The air-conditioner worked fine too.

The negatives of the room were that the bathroom was really cramped (aside from the large shower stall), I could not sleep well on the bed for some reason, the safe is too small for a laptop, and the maid did not bring/replace facecloths or the water every day. I think she replaced these two things only one day out of the 5 that I stayed there.

Finally, the continental breakfast was unpalatable for me. I eventually quit eating it period, as I could no longer force myself to do so. However, I should add that I am not a fan of continental breakfast ever. Mediocre brewed coffee, orange juice, lame white bread, dry and tasteless pastries, and modern fruit "yogurt" are not things that I ever eat or ever desire to eat. However, some people may indeed enjoy all these items, which I personally do not even consider to be food. Also, I would suspect that many of the hotels have a similar caliber of breakfast, so one might not want to choose a hotel based on its breakfast.

Overall, I would recommend the hotel, especially if one is sightseeing most of the day, and if one wants a decently quiet location.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled solo
2  Thank mari99
Reviewed 22 December 2011

Lodged at this property in June of 2011 for 3 nights. Recently renovated is in good shape, clean and well maintained. Location is close to one of the important areas of Merida, Paseo de Montejo. The staff was very helpful in currency exchange and information. Unfortunately I had to move twice, once due to a moldy smell in the room and the second time because the room faced the very busy and noisy street. The hotel offers complimentary breakfast of danish, fresh fruit and coffee which was adequate but the food from the room service menu was not very good at all. Last but not least, the beds are so hard they are a punishment to your bones!

Room Tip: If you must lodge at this property ask for a room that does not face the street.
  • Stayed: June 2011, travelled on business