“Excellent market tour and Mexican cooking lesson”

Merida Urban Adventures
and up
Small Group Subterranean Snorkel Adventure Tour
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Merida Urban Adventures offers unique and authentic day tours around Merida. They range from 2 hour to 1 day adventures and uncover back streets, hidden gems, and fascinating sights. Step into the lives of locals, find out what makes the city tick, and get acquainted with the local food, culture, and traditions of Merida. A local expert guide will provide the knowledge and lead you through a fantastic urban experience.
Useful Information: Food available for purchase
Reviewed 1 January 2012

This is a great tour and significantly cheaper than Los Dos which is the other option we looked into. It starts with a guided walk around the market which was interesting and, although I have been to many local markets around the world, it was great to do it with a local guide. Our guide was good company and took the time to explain local eating habits and ingredients. Then we took a bus to his house were we made several different types of local Mexican dishes together with his wife. Note that neither the guide or his wife are trained chefs so this is not for people whose only concern in learning lots of new dishes and cooking techniques. But it is great to spend time in a local Mexican's house and chat to a nice educated couple about life in Mexico, all at the same time as preparing and cooking some great food. Well worth it. Tip: bring a notepad so you can write down the recipes.

1  Thank Aguy29

Reviewed 3 December 2011

Husband and I did this tour today and thoroughly enjoyed it. Met by our guide, George, who is a chef in Merida and has studied the culinary arts. He was very knowledgable about the local ingredients found in the mercado. After shopping for our meal ingredients (we practiced our spanish with the vendors as we ordered the ingredients) George guided us to a city bus to arrive at the house of the owner of the business, Luis. His wife Lara who is Yucatecan accompanied by her adorable little boy and George prepared an authentic meal in which we participated in whatever way we felt comfortable. My husband enjoyed the dicing of the vegetables and the stirring of the pots while I wrote the recipes on paper I brought with me for that purpose and even tried my hand at making fresh tortillas. It was a very relaxing atmosphere. Both George and Lara make you feel that way. We prepared three dishes, Sopa de Lima, a Yucatecan chicken soup. Lomitos de Valladolid, a pork dish in a tomato based sauce and crema de coco a coconut cinnamon pudding. We also made chaya water, a spinach based drink with lots of sugar. Almost like a sweet tea. Very tasty. After the meal, we hopped back on the bus which is an interesting experience to say the least and George made sure we got back to our hotel. All in all the experience lasted six hours. Highly recommended!

Reviewed 30 November 2011

Walk everywhere. Take in all that you see, but talk to the people! We made friends with a hawker of hammocks (Mayan) & native Chiapan girls (also hawkers of goods). Everyone wants to practice their English or just be friendly. Sit in the Main Plaza & watch the world go by. We were interviewed by some very nice students studying English. Others tried to sell their wares & even when we didn't purchase, they chatted with us in broken or good English. My husband speaks Spanish & this is wonderful. Dislikes - Merida has become crowded with tourist & cars. This was my 5th trip since 1970. It has changed so very much, but still a fun place to visit.

1  Thank justtagalong
Reviewed 17 August 2011

We went on the marketplace/cooking tour in Merida and can't emphasize enough how wonderful a time we had. Our tour guide, Luis, met us in a central, easy to find hotel near the Plaza Grande and was friendly, welcoming and interesting right from the start. Luis was knowledgable in local history, places of interest AND all else we threw his way. We did not feel rushed in any way, as some walking tours feel. We toured the local produce market where Luis explained which ingredients are used in various local dishes. Vendors in the market were welcoming of our questions as well. We meandered through the marketplace, bought ingredients for the dishes we would prepare and spent time chatting and learning all about the Merida ways. Upon arriving at our host's home, menu changes were discussed as we were preparing a completely vegetarian meal while still keeping to the local dish idea. We learned to make handmade tortillas, prepare guacamole, mole sauce, chiles rellenos, enchiladas, salbutes and crema de coco. Luis and his wife were so sweet to accommodate vegetarians and we all had a blast cooking & chatting! What a great experience!

2  Thank PapaGarten
Reviewed 21 June 2011

The plan was to take a class a local famous cooking school, but since the minimum number of participants was not met, I tried this experience and it was phenomenal b/c it was more authentic and real. I shopped at the local market with a life-long resident of Merida. We then went into the kitchen of a local resident and cooked some dishes like sopa de lima and pollo pibil. I was the only participant and i was able to practice my Spanish... English is spoken, though if you do not speak Spanish. The conversations with the locals and the shopping were as great as the food. I want to do this again and try some different dishes.

1  Thank slaes10