“Not as charming as it seemed, would never return”
Review of Hotel Hacienda VIP

Hotel Hacienda VIP
Ranked #21 of 105 Hotels in Merida
Reviewed 25 December 2012

We were looking for something a little different after staying in various resorts, something with a more Mexican feel. Unfortunately our expectations were met in mostly the more negative aspects.

The first issue was parking our rental car on arrival. The hotel has a totally unmarked carpark in the middle of a group of busy one way streets slightly away from the (poorly signed) hotel. Upon finally entering, there was space only for 4 or 5 vehicles, necessitating that we commandeered the parking space of an unwitting victim. At least the hotel was near the popular shopping and eating areas, especially the local handicraft market.

Staff were friendly upon arrival, spoke enough English to make a mixed English/Spanish conversation possible. They were helpful in guiding us to the best of Merida,tthough our first impressions were that this was a significantly more "budget" hotel that we had thought.

The rooms are not for everyone. They echo a lot due to the concrete construction, and i mean so much that the average conversation is audible outside the room. There was scant interior decoration, though pleasingly the design seemed authentic enough, probably being a renovated house. The only complimentary items were shower gels, soap and the obligatory bottled water. No slippers, loofahs, tea/coffee, fridge, not even a privacy sign. The TV was tiny, barely adequate for viewing in bed. The bed itself wasn't like anything I've seen in a hotel before; a cheap wooden frame with only an adequate mattress. There was a small closet, possibly enough for a man travelling light. We were happy with the bathroom, though the concave mirror lacked a light.

Rooms were serviced quickly, though it was all very "no frills". The floors were evidently not cleaned by the maid prior to our arrival or during our stay, necessitating the use of our socks when getting out of bed etc in lieu of slippers.

The worst part was the checkout. The hotel is divided into two parts. Not knowing this upon arrival, we checked in at the non-VIP section. When we were checking out, nobody was at the VIP section reception, we went to the other section assuming that we would be able to check out there as before. There was a friendly guy who spoke little English. He then called the manager, Ferdinando, who emerged half naked from his bed, I assumed to assist with the checkout. We had an unfortunate misunderstanding about the bill for our stay. These factors resulted in the manager concluding that we were going to do a burn on his hotel and proceeded to take my luggage from my girlfriend and become irritated and abusive. I was trying to insist that i just wanted to check my booking in my emails with my phone. If we were going to run off, why would we present for checkout? He then had the audacity to tell us to respect the peace for the other guests, at which time I said I couldn't care less and that his other guests are probably interested in what we have to go through with him. After settling the bill, he threw the key into the safe and never acknowledged us again, didn't offer to help with our luggage or unlock the carpark (with the key we just forfeited). Ferdinando, you were helpful during our visit, but some business etiquette is in order.

Given what we paid, we really cannot recommend this hotel to other travellers. There was nothing "VIP" about the place except in name. Avoid.

• Stayed: December 2012
6  Thank keisari87

Reviewed 7 December 2012

Hacienda Merida VIP and next door Hacienda Merida are from the same property. We believe they have expanded in time, adding the VIP name to this latest building.

We love :
The daytime smile from Francisco, and the nightime smile from Isaac. Those gorgeous guys will do everything they can to make your stay a seedless and memorable one. They are a real plus to this place.

We like :
Nicely decorated in kinda Moroccan 1001 night Riad, in predominantly red and bare white color along with wonderful hand made wood doors and windows.
The poolside is a dream
Large and very comfortable bed in quiet surrounding
Huge and Very nice bathroom in built-in polished concrete washing bowls and tub
Wifi and not very far from the Zocalo where things happen.
Parking 20 m away

May we suggest :
A fridge to cool our drinks ? And a kettel for our own coffee/tea ? Although coffee is offered at anytime at the lobby

Tips :
Calle 62 trafic is crazy at anytime and sidewalks are tiny, do pay attention when you wander

So this place exudes some relaxing atmosphere in beautiful settings that invite you to immediately throw all your electronic devices, lay lazily by the pool and relax. Go.

Room Tip: Upper rooms surely get more daylight, while the ones by the floor level surely are cooler during the...
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank BEEPfromPARIS
Reviewed 6 August 2012

I was only at the hotel VIP for a weekend and absolutely loved it. The hotel is a mix of colonial charm and modern amenities. The lobby is very impressive with its high ceilings and columns, as well as the garden area, with its huge pool and romantic garden. My room was spacious and very confortable and cozy (room number 3). The breakfast was delicious (continental), as well as the lunch. But for me, what made the difference was the service: whether it's the people working in the hotel or the owner himself, everything is done for the guest to be happy. It exceeded my expectations, and this personnalized service made my stay unforgettable.

Room Tip: My room was on the first floor, facing the pool, and it was perfect! Room number 3
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled solo
3  Thank Delmarre_D1
Reviewed 27 July 2012

The location was good, 4 blocks from the square. Parking about 2 blocks away, was convenient. Continental breakfast was good. The room was lovely, nice pool, and amazingly with all the noise outside, the place was really quiet. Friendly and helpful staff. The one bad thing was that the internet was really lousy, and I have to do business every day - it was really frustrating. I would probably stay somewhere else where internet was better. The lighting is also really poor, it was difficult to read or do any work. If the air conditioning is on, then the "windows" (actually wood shutters) let in no light. The room was big, and had a huge walk-in closet, but the suitcase had no rack, so was kept on the floor.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank LaCruz
Reviewed 15 July 2012

Hotel Hacienda VIP is definitely the place to be in Merida! Unfortunately, we only stayed one night to visit Merida for a weekend, but we had a great short time there. It's a very peaceful place amidst a busy and noisy city. Very private and restful hotel with beautiful, clean rooms. The staff was very helpful and nice and - which is a exception in Mexico - were speaking English fluently. Very nice owner as well. Considering the"whole package" (service, rooms, privacy, exclusiveness) definitely one of the best hotels we have ever visited.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank WorldTraveller F
Reviewed 22 June 2012

I'm working in the busy city of Cancun and I go to Merida 3/4 times every years. I was looking for a special and intimate place to celebrate our 1 year anniversary with my girlfriend.

The Hacienda VIP is more than a boutique hotel. With only 4 (very) spacious and lovely bedrooms. It's like to be in a private colonial house with lovely people to take care of you. The service is available 24/24. People are very helpful and always give me amazing advice about restaurants in town. Everybody speak fluently english, wifi is everywhere and the huge swimming pool in the patio is for the 4 rooms only.
It's a very relaxing and quite place to spend few day at only 5 block from the "plaza central".

I especially loved the elegant style of this real old colonial house and the amazing breakfast. My girlfriend had a great memory of the massage.

For me, the best choice in town.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 13 March 2012

I arrived during the night, so the lighting was gorgeous, the decoration beautiful. The hotel only has 4 suites, next to their basic hotel, which is not basic and has another 8 rooms. My room was impressive in size, in amenities and comfort.
So far, so good. I had dinner in the hotel. They have some nice tables next to the beautiful pool. I ordered a simple sandwich with goat cheese, ham and tomato which came with a greens salad. Both were really good.
Later in my room I tried the large bathtub. There's not enough hot water to fill it up, but it wasn't that serious as the weather is quite fine, 85 Degrees.
Breakfast selection is a bit limited, but it has the basics and the service and atmosphere are outstanding.
After the second night of being in this place I can tell you it is an experience you ought to live if you come to Merida. This place is amazing. I wouldn't have thought this place is for a business traveler, which I am and now I highly recommend this place over chain hotels like the Intercontinental or the Fiesta Americana.
For a business traveler that demands the highest level of service, comfort, Internet availability, quality food, cleanliness and a quite place, plus a clean and stylish boutique hotel, this is the place to be.
This also the perfect getaway for a couple which demand a clear romantic and private atmosphere with a discrete, but outstanding service.
And at last, even if you need to get a away for a few days in a beautiful city like Merida and enjoy your time alone, this place fits that need as well.

• Stayed: March 2012