“Gift shop review” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #5 of 83 Merida B&B and Inns
New York City, New York
“Gift shop review”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 January 2014

This is a review of the Medio Mundo gift shop, since I cannot find a separate listing for it on TripAdvisor. We did not stay in the hotel itself, although having seen the beautiful oasis of their courtyard, I wish we had chosen this hotel instead of the one we ended up at (that's what I get for making a reservation based on TripAdvisor ratings!).

We went to the Medio Mundo gift shop the second day we were in Mérida, and I bought a couple of very pretty pillow covers from Guatemala. Then we spent the next couple of days in the city, and stopped in at some artesánia shops. The last day, we returned to Medio Mundo because we liked what they had to offer better than anything we had seen in the other shops.

This shop is small but very well curated, and the service on both visits was friendly but never pushy. Note that the products here are not solely from the Yucatán; they are from all over Mexico and Guatemala. If you are looking for hammocks, huipiles, or guayaberas, there are plenty of other places in the city. There is some truly lovely artist pottery here, beautiful pillow covers, bedspreads, and other textiles, some fine wooden pieces, scarves, and jewelry. Prices are fair--these are not mass-produced souvenir tchotchkes--and there is a range of different items, so there is sure to be something at your price point.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (53)
Johnson City, TN
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 January 2014

On our five-day trip to Merida in November, I actually looked forward to coming "home" to this hotel. The owners strive for a relaxing environment and all the staff are more than gracious. I liked it all--the rooms, the bright colors, the fountain, the dining area, the gift shop. Would definitely return.

Room Tip: We asked for a room way from the street and had no problem sleeping.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank RustyJohnsonCity_TN
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 December 2013

a fantastic little boutique hotel in the heart of Merida thats really pretty, secure and peaceful. the owners and staff alike are really friendly and helpful. the beds are very comfortable and the rooms a great size. breakfast was lovely with fresh fruit and breads. a real find and our favourite hotel discovery in 3 weeks travelling around Yucatan province.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank deborah w
Mainz, Germany
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 December 2013

This is a hotel I liked the very moment I entered it and was greeted by two of its staff members. Everyone working there is not just friendly but also very kind and welcoming.
The hotel has two attractive planted courtyards (one with a pool). While I would not describe my room as luxurious it was definitely comfortable, very clean and painted in cheerful colors.
What I might have enjoyed the most at the Medio Mundo besides the service and atmosphere was the generous and delicious breakfast in one of its courtyards. I was served fresh orange juice, coffee, a plate of various fruits, mango yoghurt, cereal with milk, pastry, bread, jam and cheese (there are some alternative choices as well). Who could ask for more?

• Stayed December 2013, travelled solo
Finksburg, Maryland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 December 2013

My husband and I as well as my two children (18 & 19) stayed at this lovely hotel in April 2012. The hotel was really comfortable and clean and they really made you feel like family. The atmosphere was very relaxed. We would stay again.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with family
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 December 2013

I had the occasion to stay at Medio Mundo recently and relied primarily on Trip Advisor as my primary source for selection. Several factors weighed in my decision; location, 5% discount for cash, availability, and other reviews. My trip from the airport via local taxi was easy and inexpensive and checking in even though it was late went smooth and was told we could do the formal checking in process in the morning.
The best on the patio was simple, well done, and served by helpful and courteous staff each morning during my stay. My booking was for 11 nights, (king bed not available) so I booked a room with two queens with A/C and the check in went smooth until I was told that I has to pre-pay the 11 days regardless if I paid cash or credit card and non refundable. I questioned the policy and was told that was the policy and I commented that was the first time in decades of travel I had encounter this rigid set of policy's. I opted to pre-pay cash as I would get a 5% discount and my stay was pleasant in all regards until I had a family emergency that required my immediate return home. The next series of events I found very un-necessary and very uncomfortable for any traveler to deal with. 1) I was told the pro-paid was non-refundable 2) I said that I understood but I considered this very unfair and not reasonable. 3) The manger went to bat for me and later offered 50% refund 4) I told her that I appreciated her effort, however I still considered it un-fair. 5) She indicated that maybe she could arrange for a "hotel credit" should I choose to return. 6) Later in the evening she indicated that she prevailed on the owners and gave me the remaining balance in Mex Peso's even though I paid in USD.
The bottom line I would recommend the hotel to others, however one should be aware of this very unfair and in my opinion bad policies. Should you have a change of plans or even unhappy with your stay you might not be so lucky as myself.

Room Tip: I stay in the A/C two queen bed room on the second floor and was happy.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled solo
Lighthouse Point, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 November 2013

what a wonderful and peaceful place! everyone there did everything they could to make sure my time in Merida was perfect. Breakfast was fresh and served outside. You felt like you were eating in paradise. The staff was exceptional in everyway and spoke English well- I unfortunately spoke no Spanish{ I plan to remedy that!}, so that was helpful to me. Very convenient to the downtown area, but far enough away to be pretty quiet.

I cannot wait to go back.

what a wonderful place!
and what wonderful people! I will be back.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled solo