“Good Place for an Indian Experience”
Review of Namaste Bistro - CLOSED

Namaste Bistro
Cuisines: Indian
texas
“Good Place for an Indian Experience”
Reviewed 3 February 2013

We came over for the first time last week, and had a good, tasty meal. Having visited India several times, i think we can judge tastes reasonable well. i wouldn't rate it along with the best gourmet food at the luxury Indian hotels we've stayed in, but the taste certainly seemed authentic enough, and i don't agree with the review who complained about a lack of spices. It wasn't overdone but the tastes were certainly there. We tried two different curries, one lamb and one chicken, and were pleased with both along with the basmati rice. I didn't find the Naan bread very appealing, certainly not what you are served in India. Nonetheless, the service was friendly and prompt, and the place seemed clean as well. We could certainly recommend it for a taste of India in Merida.

• Visited January 2013

Canada
“What "Indian"?”
Reviewed 7 January 2013

We went here a few nights ago, and I was so disappointed. Dull, boring "Indian" food. I am Indian, born and raised in the land of curries. This was some of the worst I have had in a restaurant. I am not a big fan of restaurant Indian, as there is no such thing as Indian food, there types of Indian food. What is served in restaurants are versions of Punjabi and North Indian food. Fine, who says it has to be the same as home cooked, I get that.

The food was bland, no oil (having no oil is just as bad as having too much), no salt and the masalas were almost missing. It was just boring and bland. The nans looked like they were boiled, or worse still, not cooked, I never bothered after the first bite. Are they saving their jeera (cumin) and dhaniya (corriander)? We had the saag paneer, madras shrimp, samosas and the naan. I honestly felt like going into the kitchen and saying, let's cook some saag panner, come I'll show you how to cook a nicer version of this easy dish.

The good part was the decor, very tastefully done, with miniature paintings, bandhini duppatas covering the tables, very pretty! The staff were very sweet, the music was great (nice remixes of bolly tunes).

I hate, hate, hate writing bad reviews, as most restaurant owners work hard (damn hard) to get to do the things they want. I know I could never run one. I am sure the owner has worked hard to get this place up and running. I also get the whole eating healthy Indian food (I do at home), making your ghee, paneer and dahi (I do this too) is fantastic, but it can be delicious at the same time. Ghee doesn't kill you if consumed carefully. There is such a thing as being too healthy too, na? Indian can be very delicious and healthy too, try it sometime.

I read somewhere there is an Indian lady who lives in Merida, providing great Indian food. I will try her next time. Also, while driving in one day, I saw a restaurant called Lakshmi, serving veg food, maybe they do desi food. Or I wonder if the local Hare Krishna temple has a restaurant? I saw a lot of Krishna bhakts in el centro giving out copies of the gita.

Playa del Carmen, Mexico
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Excellent Indian Cuisine - A Must Try!!”
Reviewed 6 January 2013

I love this restraunt and even had the privilege of meeting the owner. I met the owner during my last visit there. Yes, I have eaten at this place about 4 times, total. I recently relocated from Merida (where Namaste Bistro is) to Playa del Carmen and my last visit was right before I was moving because I knew I was going to miss this place. On my last visit there I met the owner. He aims to provide Indian food as authentically as possible and also aims to respond to customer requests and comments. I have been to India and the taste of the curry is right on!! Also, the decor is in fitting with the culture of India. It is a unique offering in Merida that should not be missed. As I said I have been there 4 times and the service and food have been excellent each time!!

Merida, Mexico
“Yummy!”
Reviewed 6 January 2013

Amazing Indian dishes. The lamb curry and the paneer and the raita were delicious. I live in Merida and will be going back often. I only wish they delivered.

• Visited January 2013
New York City, New York
“Amazing Indian food”
Reviewed 31 December 2012

This review is from an Indian and having dined at Indian restaurants across three continents, I would rate this place as one of best, food wise. The flavors were authentic, healthy and the food was cooked perfectly. Not spicy and not oily.We ordered Channa (Chickpeas) with friend rice and nan bread. All of them were good.

My gf and I (currently living in NY) were traveling through Merida and after few days of local food, we decided to explore. We were curious how authentic an Indian in the Yucatan might be and decided to give it a try. To our pleasant surprise the food was delicious. Craig, the owner and the chef, was very friendly and chatted with us for a while sharing his traveling experiences.

I would highly recommend this place for a taste of Indian food or good food in general.

The atmosphere is not luxurious, but when the food is great; it doesn't matter.

1 Thank 123sub