“Gracious, relaxing, and luxurious”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Hacienda Xcanatun

Hacienda Xcanatun
Ranked #26 of 103 Hotels in Merida
GreenLeadersGold level
Oklahoma, United States
“Gracious, relaxing, and luxurious”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 July 2013

We arrived extremely late and exhausted from a long day of travel. We were greeted by a friendly and helpful staff, who ushered my travel weary husband and I to our room. Walking into the gracious, lovely room (Yleana) was a welcome and surprising pleasure.

With a fabulous staff, verdant grounds with walking paths, and an outstanding restaurant, we hardly wanted to leave during our stay! As far as we're concerned, this is the only place to stay when visiting Merida.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Cheri G
DTina, Owner at Hacienda Xcanatun, responded to this review, 15 July 2013
Thank you very much for taking the time to write this lovely review. We are pleased you enjoyed your stay, and hope you will visit us again in the future!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
Liverpool, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 June 2013

This is one of the best hotels I have ever stayed in, I really don't have one negative thing to say about this hotel. The staff are so friendly and helpful, providing excellent service, especially Fernando who was our waiter for breakfast and always ensured we started the day with a smile. The grounds are beautiful, the room we had was stunning (Yelena) with a bath large enough for about four people with fountains on either side running into the bath... awesome! The food at breakfast, lunch and dinner is excellent too, as are the cocktails.

The hotel is just on the outskirts of Merida, but it only costs about five pound in a taxi to get you to pretty much anywhere you want in the center of town.

There isn't much more I can say appart from if you're heading to Merida, then this for me is the only place to stay, and hopefully some day I will be back.

Room Tip: A master sweet named Yelena.. absolutely gorgeous, with THE best bath ever!!
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank MRevill
DTina, Owner at Hacienda Xcanatun, responded to this review, 4 June 2013
We are so pleased you enjoyed your stay with us! We agree that those tubs are something else, it took 2 Mayan craftsmen a month to chisel each one out of a huge coralstone boulder! We hope you will visit us again soon. And I will be sure to extend your kind comments to Fernando.
Punta de Mita, Mexico
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 May 2013

I sit alone drink tinkling quietly in my hand...the wind rustles the crowns of the palm fronds and the night birds coo their love for this night of cool breezes unusual for this land of swollen heat. I sit bathed in the golden glow of the three story window that frames the bar where starched collar waiters talk quietly...an Armando Manzanero melody in piano and trumped melancholically drifts through the window to meet me...I feel the weight of the beauty and history of this ex hacienda all around me and give the sky a nod for affording me this luxury...good night Xcanantun.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank bonitabythesea
DTina, Owner at Hacienda Xcanatun, responded to this review, 31 May 2013
Wow! This is more than a lovely review, it is a poem! Thank you for this evocative "written portrait" of the Hacienda Xcanatún. Please plan a return trip soon!
PS: yesterday afternoon and evening it rained...the Manzanero song wafting from the piano would have been: Esta Tarde Vi Llover (English version "Yesterday I Heard the Rain")
Sheffielduk
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 May 2013

It should be impossible to get lost arriving at this hotel but we did and other reviewers report they managed to also. So, assuming you are on the MERIDA ring road (perifero) or in the city, take the signs for Progresso. Like the website says look out for the kilometre 12 marker, and also look out for Hotel Dubrovnik on your right hand if travelling North. See the big green signs for "Xcanatun Zona Industrial" and leave the freeway.,( DON'T LET THIS DESIGNATION PUT YOU OFF THIS HOTEL! It is beautiful.) Immediately you reach the roundabout (Retorno) under the flyover prepare to turn right. Look carefully and you will see a slightly grotty big blue sign for Xcanatun with logos for hotel. Take the right turn and drive slowly straight along this quiet road through the village as there are topes and kids everywhere for two/three hundred yards until you come to a grassy park area. Turn left and follow the park around and should see signs for hotel again. As the road turns left after the library the Hacienda is on the right through the very big gateway.

Having dealt with this, I strongly recommend this property. Regard it as a restaurant with rooms as the food is very good indeed and is known locally for this. However what rooms! We took a deluxe suite ( middle grade room) and this is one of the most beautiful hotel rooms anywhere- and I've stayed in a few (see other contributions). The hacienda is magnificent, peaceful, silent apart from birdsong, and with stunning grounds. The service is first class. Costly but fair value for such a special place. We stayed five nights and were sorry to leave. Highly recommended-worth a detour as Michelin would say.

Room Tip: I suspect all are excellent but we had a middle grade suite which was worth the upgrade
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank indefatigable
DTina, Owner at Hacienda Xcanatun, responded to this review, 31 May 2013
Thank you very much for your kind review, and for your suggestions! I have taken the liberty to copy your driving directions, and will adapt them to put on our website! We have also requested the Mérida authorities replace the "grotty" sign at the entrance, and separate hotel our sign from "Parque Industrial" sign, which is really nowhere near our property. :)
Brooklyn, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 May 2013 via mobile

The place is magnificent. Trees exuberant, and its restaurant is superb. Though I haven't slept at the place, I saw the rooms and look great. I'm a regular at its restaurant and love the food. Think that if you want to taste the best, just go for different appetizers as main dishes are not comparable in flavor and taste (besides, they are very pricey).
One thing I dislike of this place is that staff is often reluctant to offer you service in the terrace that overlooks the entrance of the hacienda. This is too bad as this terrace is perhaps the best place in Merida to have a drink. Of course, if you insist, they will serve you there (though, be prepared to help them organize your table/seat).
I am giving this place a 5 because of its beauty, and the peace it gives you when you get there.

• Stayed May 2013
Vancouver, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 April 2013

We loved this place so much we adjusted our second trip to include a couple of days here. The restaurant is world-class and my husband had been dreaming for two years about a tuna dish which fortunately was still on the menu. The buildings have been beautifully restored and the grounds are breathtaking. But the service is what makes this place special-lovely people who make every effort to help which makes this hotel a 5-star in our opinion. Go, spend a few days beside the pool, eat a lot and relax. Heaven.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank FranA987
DTina, Owner at Hacienda Xcanatun, responded to this review, 31 May 2013
Thank you! We hope to see you back at Hacienda Xcanatún in 2014!
Egypt
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 March 2013

We were a group of 14 people coming on a tour from Egypt to Mexico; all of us are experienced travelers.
The Hacienda is a beautiful hotel love the grounds the greenery, the suites are amazing. I just wished I stayed longer and explored more of the Hotel. The food whether breakfast or dinner was amazing top notch.

The staff are very friendly and were patient with us

• Stayed February 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Kabdelmessih
DTina, Owner at Hacienda Xcanatun, responded to this review, 27 March 2013
Hello, Karim! Thank you for your great review, we enjoyed having the group here! My husband and I spent 10 wonderful days in Egypt 5 years ago, and cannot wait to go back, what an amazing country! I hope you visit us again. Best regards to you and the others!