“Convenient, Great Free Breakfast”

Hotel Maison del Embajador
Ranked #52 of 103 Hotels in Merida
Baraboo, Wisconsin
“Convenient, Great Free Breakfast”
Reviewed 13 April 2010

Hotel Maison Lafitte is conveniently located between the main plaza (the historic district) and Paseo de Montejo. We were able to easily walk to both. It's also across the street from Parque Santa Lucia where they have free traditional dancing on Thursday nights, and where they set up tables and chairs and live musicians and you can order drinks and food every night, as far as we could tell.

The free parking lot is small but we were always able to get a spot. The hotel has a business center with free computers/internet, a bar, a restaurant, 2 courtyards, a pool (cold), and a boutique.

Our room had two double beds, tv, a/c, toilet, shower, sink, closet with safe (but no key), iron, ironing board, and a minibar with drinks and snacks (for a fee).

The courtyards are beautiful with lush tropical vegitation and fountains. The free breakfast was the best free breakfast we had at any of the places we stayed. It was a buffet and had a good selection of fruit, cereal, granola, 3 hot dishes each day, pastries, juices, etc.

The clientele seemed to be upper middle class Mexicans, which suited us just fine. We enjoyed staying in a place where we weren't surrounded by other native English speakers. The staff was very friendly and always available.

• Stayed April 2010, travelled with family
1 Thank Nancy T

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
San Francisco
Reviewed 9 April 2010

I recently spent a wonderful, 5 day family vacation in Mérida. This was my second time in the Yucatán and have to admit it always attracted me for its culture, music, food and history. Maison Lafitte was recommended by business colleagues of mine from Mexico city. I´d like to say I was very pleased with the hotels’ colonial architecture and style, it goes perfect with the rest of Merida´s down town and historical district. The well tended gardens and pool area offer an atmosphere of peace and relaxation, perfect with a beer in the lazy afternoons. The rooms, were clean, and comfortable. The fresh fruit, coffee and bread served at breakfast, plus the service were excellent. I would like to emphasize that I was impressed with the staff, who go out of their way to serve you. Eduardo at the front desk helped us with most of our needs, always sporting a smile. He arranged a tour to Chichen Itza, for us, which was one of the highlights of our trip.
Right across the street, Santa Lucia park offers weekly serenatas and live entertainment, for free. The main square was just two or three blocks away, with its magnificent cathedral and Sunday festival “Merida en Domingo.” In fact, one of the nicest things about MAison Lafitte is that you are within walking distance of the most interesting places, museums, churches, parks, colonial monuments, stores, theathers and restaurants.
I would definitely return to Maison Lafitte on my next visit to Merida, it is a little jewel in the heart of the city.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled as a couple
Las Vegas, NV
Reviewed 11 March 2010

I could not sleep in those beds, the ventilation system must be poor. The whole bed, mattress, pillows had this deep musty odor, we had to put thick shirts on the pillows to be able to breath. I requested "new" pillows and they smell just as bad. I know there isn't much you can do in such humid and older places but then to find holes and stains in the sheets was very disappointing. I didn't think I was booking a 1 star hotel. It's not fair to the friendly staff, the great free internet/business center, very good free breakfast, great outdoor restaurant and pool area. I in fact will send a letter to the management, this little hotel could be great with new bedding.

• Stayed December 2009, travelled with family
1 Thank bellemex
MarthaEscalante, Sales Manager at Hotel Maison del Embajador, responded to this review, 9 April 2010
Thank you very much for your comments. Unfortunately we have to be constantly fighting the humidity because of our weather. We want to let you know that we renew our sheets to the satisfaction of our guests.
I am glad to know that our staff has pleased you and enjoyed our beautiful garden, delicious breakfast, like our other facilities, as we seek to make you feel at home. I'd love to give us the opportunity to serve you again.

Flor Castro
Sales Manager
Hotel Maison Lafitte

Travellers are raving about these Merida hotels

Jupiter, Fla
Reviewed 21 October 2009

We spent our first few nights in Merida in the highly rated Luz y Yuctan and found that it lived up to it reputation and a very comfortable, attractive, friendly, well located place to stay.
On our third night they were fully booked so we moved to the Hotel Maison Lafitte, located around the corner.
We were so pleased that we stayed there for the duration of our trip. Both hotels are well located, had friendly staffs, were quite clean, had attractive gardens and pools. The price of the room was the same. Neither had an elevator.
But the Hotel Maison Lafitte offered a very nice breakfast buffett, had quite a few english channels on their tv, had extra nice room decor, high quality linens and a firm mattress. All in all it was a more enjoyable experience for less cost (considering the included breakfast).

• Stayed October 2009, travelled as a couple
CT
Reviewed 14 February 2009

Very nice, quiet location in the historic district. Breakfast buffet had lots of selections and is included. Two computers available for guest use with free internet access. Free parking available

• Stayed January 2009, travelled as a couple
California
Reviewed 21 January 2009

I loved this hotel because I didn't have to worry about much. The staff is beyond friendly. Most of them are sweet and helpful. Breakfast is included and is very good. Fresh orange juice, cereal, pastries, and some hot choices, too. You can also order from a breakfast menu for more filling options like pancakes or Mexican fare at no extra cost.
The room we stayed in had one king size bed. It's comfortable if you're used to sleeping on a rock. Not my style at all. It was cool at night w/the A/C on and that was sufficient. I did notice an ant problem on some days, but no other bugs, which was great. The water bottles in the room are free and they replace them in the fridge every day they clean your room. The shower in our room had extra jets, was very spacious, but it flooded each time because the doors did not seal properly.
Other than that, our room had a desk and chair, a rocking chair, nightstands and lamps, and a bar area where you can put your things. It was simple and clean. Just what we wanted.
If you're looking for a more luxurious experience, go somewhere else. We were there for a poetry conference and were gone most of the day so we didn't mind the spareness of the room. What the rooms lack in warmth, the staff will make up in being very helpful and sincere.
I would return to this hotel if I was in Merida for a similar purpose. If I wanted to spend more time in my hotel room I'd stay elsewhere. I was very satisfied with my stay.

• Liked — The no fuss rooms and excellent service
  • Disliked — The hard bed and the leaky shower stall
  • Stayed January 2009, travelled on business
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 19 March 2008

We had trouble finding hotels due to a large conference in town, but ended up booking here. The hotel is very lovely, with clean rooms, well-tended grounds (including courtyards), a very nice continental breakfast with very fresh fruit and some hot selections and attentive staff. The free wi-fi worked well.

There are only a few caveats: there's no elevator, and this might be trouble if you have a third floor room. The hotel is right in the historic centre, and while convenient and many good restaurants around, it can be noisy in the evening, though after midnight it quieted down. The doors didn't seal all the way, but this was a minor complaint.

• Stayed March 2008, travelled on business