Open today: 06:00 - 22:00
Review Highlights
Cheap transportation to the beach!

AutoProgreso runs a fleet of buses to and from Progreso to Merida daily Buses are generally clean... read more

Reviewed 2 weeks ago
RegD1945
Merida, Mexico
via mobile
Loved this excursion!

We are first time cruisers and went into progresso with no plan. These great people gave us a free... read more

Reviewed yesterday
repairsbyrusty
Murfreesboro, Tennessee
via mobile

All reviews combo tour half the price cruise ship an excursion our tour guide beach resort mario lopez mayan ruins great tour sales pitch flea market lovely beach air conditioned bus all inclusive hotel my husband and daughter recent cruise small group
Reviewed 9 December 2017

The main problem, in my opinion, is that Carnival does not give enough information about what to expect if you leave the ship and have not booked an excursion through the ship. This is compounded by the fact that once off the ship you will need to ride the shuttle into Progreso or walk five miles down a pier. The shuttle provided by Grupo Auto is clean and safe and the driver was very courteous. The big surprise for the cruisers is that you will arrive at a bus station and before getting off you will be given a sales pitch for excursions operated by the shuttle company. Several of these are for the same destinations Carnival offers, but at a cheaper price. Others are for an open air type tour of Progreso or trips to Merida.
For travelers that have not experienced a typical working class Mexican town, Progreso may be a shock once you get off the bus and start down the streets.I found it to be much like the border towns I visited in the 1970's along the Texas border. My suggestion is that for a quick taste of the town if you have not made plans is to take the quick open air tour of the town and see what it is all about. That might be all you want to do and then head back to the ship.

1  Thank NTSU1975
Reviewed 9 December 2017

My wife and I cruise out of New Orleans every January. We've heard all the negative reviews about "ProGROSSo", but we love it. We always find Mario Lopez and he remembers us. We purchase our tickets from him and he guides us to the main bus station downtown. After a short wait, we are on our way to the TechnoHotel for a day of all-inclusive fun. Their website gives a great explanation of what to expect. The buffet is unlimited mexican snack which is plenty. The service is wonderful and the "quiet pool" is great for families. My wife always gets a massage on the beach and I relax while reading and snacking around the pool. We love it and look forward to it every year. The bus ride back is a little more adventurous!!! Many at the resort have participated in tequila shots all day long!!! Don't be the guy (or girl) who vomits on the bus while riding back to the ship....just sayin'

1  Thank William W
Reviewed 1 December 2017 via mobile

I enjoyed my experience and so did my brothers and friends! We had an awesome tour guide named Ivan and driver Tomas! Ivan was very informative and he went above and beyond to help us have a great experience! We arrived in Progreso on Carnival Triumph and we didn't have an excursion planned so we rode a bus into town and picked a combo tour at the bus stop. $39 to do both was worth the price! Having the right tour guide definitely makes the experience that much better. Wish I would have brought a bathing suit to swim in the cenote, but I was happy with just my feet and legs being in the water. Tour of Merida wasn't very long because we were all hungry at that point so we went to eat at a great restaurant. We then finished the tour of historic Merida buildings. I am glad we chose to do this!

1  Thank Devaney B
Reviewed 1 December 2017 via mobile

Our tour guide (Fernando) and driver (Tomas) were great. I definitely recommend using them for your adventure!

Reviewed 23 November 2017 via mobile

We did the tour of Uxmal Mayan ruins and were blown away. I knew a bit about Mayan culture but learned so much more. Our driver Mario was very good. Our tour guide Antonio was excellent. He did an amazing job of telling us about the Uxmal Mayan ruins, answered our questions, and told us more about the region. I would recommend this tour.

1  Thank PATRICIA B